magic wands??

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

magic wands??

Post by modus666 »

the DCC book states that magic wands are created by casters of at least level 7 using the 4th level spell 'magic wand' (kindof like magic staff and sword magic etc i presume)

i cannot find the 'magic wand' spell anywhere, certainly isnt where is would logically tucked away in the 4th level wizard spell list.

was this by design or an oversight?
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: magic wands??

Post by onearmspence »

Well there're 716 wizard spell but neither magic wand nor magic rod (both 4th lvl spells) are explained in the core book. It looks like an oversight.
DungeonFaster
Gongfarmer

Post by DungeonFaster »

"Magic items are created using spells oriented toward that
purpose. As noted above, those spells include write magic,
make potion, sword magic, magic staff, magic rod, and magic
wand. Not all of those spells have defined spell tables in
this work. That is deliberate. Magic item creation should
remain something of a, well, magical process. We encourage
the judge to come up with his own processes and spell
tables for creating higher-level magic items."
pg365 :wink:
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by modus666 »

well thats all very well and good. but you should NOT specifically reference the "fourth level spell 'magic wand'" if you have no intention of including said spell.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

modus666 wrote:well thats all very well and good. but you should NOT specifically reference the "fourth level spell 'magic wand'" if you have no intention of including said spell.
Why shouldn't they?

If they hadn't mentioned "4th level" then you would have to make up how to make wands entirely by yourself. This way, a suggestion of what level to make the spell is present... and it may very well appear in the first DCC Annual (whenever such a thing exists) so why not give people a "teaser" of what level it will be?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

modus666 wrote:well thats all very well and good. but you should NOT specifically reference the "fourth level spell 'magic wand'" if you have no intention of including said spell.
:twisted: Well we certainly didn't intend to miss it, so yes, this belongs with the list of typos.

Good catch!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by modus666 »

i just love how some folks were trying to play it off like it was intentional.
(rolls eyes)
DungeonFaster
Gongfarmer

Post by DungeonFaster »

Oh. My bad. I really did think it was intentional.
Colin

Post by Colin »

modus666 wrote:i just love how some folks were trying to play it off like it was intentional.
(rolls eyes)
They were trying to help and made an understandable mistake; the section they quoted could easily be read as meaning those rules were deliberately omitted.

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DungeonFaster wrote:"...Not all of those spells have defined spell tables in this work. That is deliberate..." pg365 :wink:
RAD Colin wrote:They were trying to help and made an understandable mistake; the section they quoted could easily be read as meaning those rules were deliberately omitted.
A couple of things to note:

1. The passage quoted certainly does read as if those rules were deliberately omitted, and to a certain degree this was intentional. Part of the philosophy of the DCC RPG was that not all of the rules would be clearly spelled out, with the intent that the GM would be encouraged to be creative and players owning the rulebook would not have access to all of the secrets of the campaign.

2. Having said this, as Harley noted leaving this particular item out was an oversight and probably not intentional. At least, I don't recall any such discussion occuring in the alpha or beta phases of playtest.
modus666 wrote:i just love how some folks were trying to play it off like it was intentional.
(rolls eyes)
3. Having said both of these things, it still doesn't diminish the fact that statement this comes off as kind of rude. I think that we all work hard here to maintain a board which is an enjoyable place for anyone to come and discuss a hobby we all love. I know that DungeonFaster might not have provided exactly the answer you were hoping for, but let's try to keep the conversation civil and not too snippy.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”