What I'd like to see...

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

What I'd like to see...

Post by finarvyn »

I was going to make a post on something, then I saw this quote...
Galadrin wrote:A 64 page version of DCC would be great. I think you could squeeze the classes (level 0 to level 2) onto 10 pages and 6 pages for equipment and combat rules. You could drop corruption and unnecessary spell levels so that Misfire + Casting Results (up to 25 or so) fit one page per spell. 8 Wizard Spells and 8 Cleric Spells would be another 16 pages. The next 32 pages could be judges rules, monsters and a sample dungeon.
...and decided to springboard off of Galadrin's comment.

As far as I know there is no plan to come up with additional rulebooks, as Goodman Games is gearing up for RPG support via modules. However, a few ideas come to mind that might be useful for gamers and not so hard to do layout for...

What I'd like to see:

1) A "DCC Basic" book.
I'm not sure if levels 0-2 is what I'd go with, but I would like to see something closer to Joseph's original concept of levels 0-5. I think it would play just as well as the current edition but be a lot thinner. Much of the same artwork could be used, etc. Depending upon the size of the final product, it could be hardback or paperback.

2) A bunch of DCC mini-rulebooks.
Essentially take the present rulebook (or the thinned-down idea from #1 above) and split it into smaller slices. These could be sold alone or as a nifty boxed set. I would assume paperback format. If in a box, use the same basic cover art as the rulebook.
* Pages 10-73 could become "The DCC Book of Characters" and would include introduction, class information, skills, and equipment.
* pages 74-96 on combat, 304-361 on Journeys and Judges section, and Patrons and, pages 362-375 on Magic Items, pages 436-451 Appendices, etc. could be "The DCC Book for Game Masters"
* pages 98-303 on spell duels, magic, and spell tables could be "The DCC Book of Spells". (Alternately, this could be further sub-divided into Arcane and Divine since any given character wouldn't need both at the same time.)
* Pages 376-435 becomes "The DCC Book of Monsters"
* The Portal Under the Stars would be its own booklet.

3) Misc DCC extras.
* I'd still like to see a GM screen.
* I'd like an officiall 12-piece DCC poly dice set (light blue with red numbers, like the colors on the core rulebook).
* I'd like a set of "spell cards"; essentially one spell per sheet of cardstock.
* I'd like a DCC t-shirt with the core rulebook cover print on it that I can wear to game conventions.

Am I asking for too much? :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: What I'd like to see...

Post by meinvt »

finarvyn wrote:Am I asking for too much? :lol:
Only your Patron from beyond the electrons John Goodman can answer that. Be hopeful you like his response!
finarvyn wrote:What I'd like to see:

1) A "DCC Basic" book.
I'm not sure if levels 0-2 is what I'd go with, but I would like to see something closer to Joseph's original concept of levels 0-5. I think it would play just as well as the current edition but be a lot thinner. Much of the same artwork could be used, etc. Depending upon the size of the final product, it could be hardback or paperback.

2) A bunch of DCC mini-rulebooks.
Essentially take the present rulebook (or the thinned-down idea from #1 above) and split it into smaller slices. These could be sold alone or as a nifty boxed set. I would assume paperback format. If in a box, use the same basic cover art as the rulebook.
* Pages 10-73 could become "The DCC Book of Characters" and would include introduction, class information, skills, and equipment.
* pages 74-96 on combat, 304-361 on Journeys and Judges section, and Patrons and, pages 362-375 on Magic Items, pages 436-451 Appendices, etc. could be "The DCC Book for Game Masters"
* pages 98-303 on spell duels, magic, and spell tables could be "The DCC Book of Spells". (Alternately, this could be further sub-divided into Arcane and Divine since any given character wouldn't need both at the same time.)
* Pages 376-435 becomes "The DCC Book of Monsters"
* The Portal Under the Stars would be its own booklet.
I thought I actually saw John post somewhere that he does want to do a Father-Son version of the game that would be essentially through level 3. I'm less excited about splitting up existing content into new books. I don't see the need. I like the story based approach to generating new content that comes from primarily releasing adventures with an occasional annual for collecting the best new elements from those adventures each year along with perhaps a few new rules that wouldn't otherwise get out there like a new character class option. (e.g. Elven Solipsist - so you play an elf who has refused to ever seek power from a patron).
finarvyn wrote: 3) Misc DCC extras.
* I'd still like to see a GM screen.
* I'd like an officiall 12-piece DCC poly dice set (light blue with red numbers, like the colors on the core rulebook).
* I'd like a set of "spell cards"; essentially one spell per sheet of cardstock.
* I'd like a DCC t-shirt with the core rulebook cover print on it that I can wear to game conventions.
+d12 on the GM screen
+d24 on the official 12 piece dice set, with a bonus +d7 mighty deeds die. I really want this badly, and I want it out of opaque dice and ideally with softer edges. I've tried to love my set of dice of precision dice, but I just can't. I don't like needing to substitute others, but that's what happens.
+d6 on the spell cards. Actually, I'd be delighted with a pdf product that let me print one spell per page nicely formatted and could print them to cardstock myself. Ideally I'd like to print them on 4x6 cards front and back, but that might require a magnifying glass!
+d4 on the T-Shirt. I assume you mean the limited edition.

I want all of these things more than the rules re-bundles.
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

Yes, please make t-shirts of the Metal edition. That's such a cool design that I think people will buy it even if they don't know what DCC RPG is. They can easily be made on cafepress or spreadshirt. I would make one for myself but I don't have the original image to use.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

DimitriX wrote:Yes, please make t-shirts of the Metal edition. That's such a cool design that I think people will buy it even if they don't know what DCC RPG is. They can easily be made on cafepress or spreadshirt. I would make one for myself but I don't have the original image to use.
I agree. You knocked it out of the park when you came up with the limited edition cover. I'll buy that t-shirt.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Actually, I like both covers and would be happy with a shirt with either design on it. The limited edition cover is really cool, but the other one is more likely to be long-term identified with the product as it's the one that would go into most game stores.

If the goal is to advertise the game, it might be better to advertise the cover that everyone else gets to see. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

finarvyn wrote:Actually, I like both covers and would be happy with a shirt with either design on it. The limited edition cover is really cool, but the other one is more likely to be long-term identified with the product as it's the one that would go into most game stores.

If the goal is to advertise the game, it might be better to advertise the cover that everyone else gets to see. :wink:
Well my take would be to get people interested who might not know much about gaming. I could easily see the metal cover tshirt hanging in one of the music stores around town. I'm sure if I wore it around Austin, I would get questions about what band that is or if its a Motorhead tshirt. Then I can tell them about this awesome game... In the end, I think either strategy works. So, make both!
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

Offical t-shirts, please.
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

I'd drool heavily for an official dice set. I mean heavily.

The PDF with individual spells per page sounds useful.
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by onearmspence »

I'll love to see the GM screen!
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I too want the GM screen. The inner panels could be the official index plus some basic, handy tables (fumbles, equipment, etc).
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Colin

Post by Colin »

I'd want:

1) A 14-piece official dice set (yellow or blue with red numbers, like the cover or DCC logo). 14-piece (not 12!) because that's:
d3 (a d6 numbered 1-3 twice), d4, d5 (a d10 numbered 1-5 twice), d6, d7 (a d14 numbered 1-7 twice), d8, d10, d%*, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, and d30! 12-piece indeed! For shame, Fin! :P
* or at least 2 x d10s
2) The spellbook pdf.

Colin
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

RAD Colin wrote:A 14-piece official dice set (yellow or blue with red numbers, like the cover or DCC logo). 14-piece (not 12!) because that's:
d3 (a d6 numbered 1-3 twice), d4, d5 (a d10 numbered 1-5 twice), d6, d7 (a d14 numbered 1-7 twice), d8, d10, d%*, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, and d30! 12-piece indeed! For shame, Fin! :P
* or at least 2 x d10s
I'd rather see a set that includes the "weird" shaped d3 & d5, and that either only has a d14 numbered 1-7 twice in two different number colors or a d14 and the "weird" shaped d7 - to more expediently pick up the correct die while playing... sometimes, when in a rush, I already grab the wrong die.

And I'd love for the set to be d3, d4, d5, 3d6, d7, d8, d10, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, d30, d100 - 16 piece, if I counted correctly.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

RAD Colin wrote:d3 (a d6 numbered 1-3 twice), d4, d5 (a d10 numbered 1-5 twice), d6, d7 (a d14 numbered 1-7 twice), d8, d10, d%*, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, and d30! 12-piece indeed! For shame, Fin! :P
Ah, I stand ... er, sit corrected. :P

Clearly I wasn't reaching high enough in my wish list!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

DCC RPG 'Soap On A Rope' please!

To be handed out at your local gaming store for the smelly & unwashed.

It's like a raid when I go to mine. In and out as fast as possible. The people stink.

:D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

RevTurkey wrote:DCC RPG 'Soap On A Rope' please! To be handed out at your local gaming store for the smelly & unwashed.
Clearly you've gone to gaming conventions. I hadn't thought of DCC soap, but now that you mention it we probably need it more than more dice. I can "fake it" with dice I already own, but it's harder to "fake it" with soap. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

I agree with the 14 piece dice set. Please have Chessex do it. I am not really feeling the Gamescience dice. I don't mind the funky dice, I just don't like filling in my own numbers and filing off sprues, especially for the high price. And I don't think they are THAT much more random. Too some degree, yes, but not worth the pain in the ass it is to ink them. Please, please, have Chessex do an official set of DCC dice. Red and blue and maybe black and gold.

A spell book would be nice, as would the GM screen. Also, the Motörhead-esque T-shirt would be cool. I also would like a Pantheon of Patrons. I hate to sound lazy and unimaginative, but I am not 12 anymore and the more aids I have to flesh things out the better. I just don't have the time like I used to.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

How about dice-shaped soap?
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Only ever been to one convention. I think it was 1987ish

Reading University U.K

Had a blast. No idea what it was? Gencon UK maybe? No idea :D

The people smelled okay from what I remember but maybe that was the last time they washed?

I played... AD&D, Mega Fantasy, Spanish Main, Railroad Tycoon (i think)...i can't remember the rest lol.

Much to my parents protest, at 14/15 yrs old I went with good old Peter, Steve (i refuse to acknowledge any game but AD&D) & Barbara (my Pony will drop from the tree to backstab that Orc) who looked after me. Happy days and no stench.

The new generation of gamers need DCC soap and maybe a quick crop spray.

Playing since about 1980
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

RevTurkey wrote:The people smelled okay from what I remember but maybe that was the last time they washed?
The gamer stereotype for conventions includes:
1) Must wear black t-shirt.
2) Must have backpack.
3) Must be unwashed.

A note on #3 -- what I've found is that gamers are typically fine early in the convention but tend to get ripe as the con progresses, particularly if they stay up late playing and then turn around to play in an early game the next day. Toward the end of a convention it can get pretty nasty, probably because some folks stay indoors for 4 days straight. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

fuel wrote:Also, the Motörhead-esque T-shirt would be cool.
Providing the big image is on the back, and the front has a simple DCC logo on the left breast.

"DCC Soap - Destroys Convention Crud!"

Colin
Rhino
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Rhino »

I would really like a deluxe GMs Screen with some of that awesome art.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

A friend of mine had an idea for convention goers that I thought was brilliant. Set up a couple of booth babes at strategic points in the convention. The first one sprays the attendee with febreeze, the second with Axe.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

shadewest wrote:A friend of mine had an idea for convention goers that I thought was brilliant. Set up a couple of booth babes at strategic points in the convention. The first one sprays the attendee with febreeze, the second with Axe.
The first half isn't a bad idea... the second... I'd rather smell pits and sweaty butt smell than Axe.

It would be much more beneficial in my experience, both to my sensitive olfactory and to the poorly washed fellows chances at being like by ladies, if the 2nd booth were to spray them down with gummybear body spray.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

A Super Deluxe Dm Screen with Febreeze dispenser and deoderant holder?
Playing since about 1980
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Rhino wrote:I would really like a deluxe GMs Screen with some of that awesome art.
This is a good point. There is so much cool artwork in the DCC rulebook that it would be a shame not to plaster a bunch of it on the outside of a GM screen.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”