DCC: Warhammer

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC: Warhammer

Post by Thane »

What do people think about using the DCC rules to run the Warhammer 'Enemy Within Campaign?' What with DCC not being tied to a setting, I think it would work a treat.

But are there any rules in the game for character insanity? My friend things this is important in the Warhammer world, and the campaign would be poorer without them.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: DCC: Warhammer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Thane wrote:What do people think about using the DCC rules to run the Warhammer 'Enemy Within Campaign?' What with DCC not being tied to a setting, I think it would work a treat.

But are there any rules in the game for character insanity? My friend things this is important in the Warhammer world, and the campaign would be poorer without them.
Insanity, diseases, dismemberment; these are the hallmarks of Warhammer, so I am not sure it would work with DCC without adding a hefty does of houserules.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

rabindranath72 wrote:
Thane wrote:What do people think about using the DCC rules to run the Warhammer 'Enemy Within Campaign?' What with DCC not being tied to a setting, I think it would work a treat.

Insanity, diseases, dismemberment; these are the hallmarks of Warhammer, so I am not sure it would work with DCC without adding a hefty does of houserules.
That's quite ironic, because you just described everything that I'd expect the DCC rpg to cover. If not with rules, then definitely with vibe.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

rabindranath72 wrote: Insanity, diseases, dismemberment; these are the hallmarks of Warhammer, so I am not sure it would work with DCC without adding a hefty does of houserules.
Well the core book seems to have dismemberments in spades. :lol:

I think it could be done pretty easily. Assign a Terror stat to each monster (maybe 1 per HD?) and then make the PCs attempt a Will save (DC = 5 + Terror stat). After that you can just run with the Warhammer insanity rules (Cool test = Will save DC 15).

Enemy within is a great campaign. Be a shame to miss out on putting it to use.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

We should totally start a thread in the house rules forums for DCC'hammer conversions.

Is that pronounced DickHammer? Lol
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I like to use Warhammer as my default for my campaign world. What would need converting? I guess insanity rules... maybe that's modeled by lack of luck? Make magic weapons cause chaos mutations? That would be wild.
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

Has anyone done any Warhammer conversions or better yet, played them?

I'm working on converting some stuff from WFRP 1E; it is a little looser, more "in the spirit of" than anything hard.

The instability of DCC's magic system seems to be appropriate to re-imagine as an impact of Chaos. In doing some initial searches, a lot of forum members have drawn comparisons between the two RPGs already.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My son loves playing Warhammer (both Fantasy and 40K, actually) and I'm sure he would be thrilled to play DCC in the world of Warhammer.

I don't think I know enough about the world to do a good job of this, but maybe someone else can take a stab at it. Most of what I know about Warhammer is that they have lots of Dark Elves. (That's his army.) :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

I think it's an excellent fit, and have been actively working on setting something up. I'm planning on setting it earlier than the usual WFRP campaign--specifically, during the Age of the Three Emperors. The situation is more fluid, which seems right for DCC, and also this is before the empire established the magical colleges and essentially 'legalized' magic. This seems to work well with the fractious and fragmented nature of wizards in the DCC book.

I'm currently working on coverting the deities and writing up some spells for the clerics. I'll post what I have in a day or two.
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Do you intend to add insanity rules?
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I would love to collaborate on this project. I have the Enemy Within but haven't through it yet. I did, however, used to play a Sjaven army back in the day (and Orks in 40k).
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Colin

Post by Colin »

DCC and TEW are great matches. In fact, with enough tweaks and changes, TEW can be run to great effect in many fantasy settings. I even ran it with Mongoose's OGL-based Lone Wolf RPG a few years back. Worked beautifully.

Colin
Apisfurioso
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Apisfurioso »

ScrivenerB wrote:I think it's an excellent fit

I'm currently working on coverting the deities and writing up some spells for the clerics. I'll post what I have in a day or two.
cant wait to see it
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

Here's what I have so far: link

This isn't 100% 'canon', I've changed some of the gods' portfolios a bit. My overall take on the situation, as presented in the opening paragraphs, is an attempt to reconcile DCC's Appendix N sensibilities (very Elric-ian, imo) with WFRP.

Let me know what you think. Or if the link doesn't work...
Last edited by ScrivenerB on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oktoberguard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by oktoberguard »

I agree that the Old World is a great fit with DCC... I dug out my WFRP 1E books in the hopes my players would want to keep playing once we finished the one-shot, and it looks like they're interested. I'd like to see what you've come up with for gods and spells, Scrivener... I have two clerics in the party... one of Taal and one undecided.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Great fan of The Enemy within also.

Maybe Insanity could easily be incorporated into the magic Corruption mechanism: minor, major, greater, and a new table: insanity corruption.

Seeing/interacting with certain monsters would provoke a DC Will check or suffer an insanity Corruption.
That way you don't really need a "new" mechanic as such.

just my 2 cents.
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by toadlike »

Warhammer Fantasy and DCC are a good match.

I'll share my personal take on a DCChammer campaign.

I'd run this Warhammer + DCC game as a "re-imagining" more than a conversion. I'd take some stuff I really like about the Warhammer world and I'd leave out the things that can get in the way from time to time. The Skaven, The Empire, Beastmen, and Chaos are in; Schools of Magic,the organized human religions, and the empire's "canonical" geography would be out.

I would avoid the Schools of Magic and the Cults of the Empire because more than likely they'll work against the adventuring party's cohesion as a group. Why would a Priest of Sigmar loot tombs with a rat catcher? why would a cloistered wizard from the School of Fire venture into the forest with a former toll keeper? Priests of Sigmar and Magicians make all the sense in the world in the Fantasy Battles game, where they wield immense levels of power; they kind of don't fit in the framework of a low-level adventuring party, particularly one composed of lowly fighters and thieves. That's why I'd do away with both organizations. Wizards would either be cultists or backwoods witches. Clerics would be crusaders.

I would forgo of The Empire's geography because it's easier to just come up with cities and towns on my own. :)

Again, that's just my take on it.

I'd have no problem playing a faithful Warhammer conversion. :mrgreen:
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.
Ynas Midgard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ynas Midgard »

toadlike's post seconded.
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

ScrivenerB wrote:Here's what I have so far: link

This isn't 100% 'canon', I've changed some of the gods' portfolios a bit. My overall take on the situation, as presented in the opening paragraphs, is an attempt to reconcile DCC's Appendix N sensibilities (very Elric-ian, imo) with WFRP.

Let me know what you think. Or if the link doesn't work...
Looks good; are you aiming for a WFRP conversion or specifically Enemy Within?
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

I had no real thought of Enemy Within, or really even of a WFRP "conversion", strictly speaking. More just using the warhammer world as a jumping-off point for a DCC setting. My idea is that setting the game at a time
a) prior to the magical colleges, when all arcane magic is basically illicit
b) during a period when the empire had largely ceased to function (three emperors) and localities were likely more isolated and more thrown on their own resources
it makes the whole thing a lot less WFRP like and a lot more D&D/DCC-like, and perhaps more amenable to the sort of things we're seeing published for DCC. I've also made some changes to the deities that not everyone is going to like, and am going with a much more Moorcock/DCC approach to law and chaos than warhammer takes (where Chaos is the big bad and Law is basically a curious footnote in the metaphysical scheme of things).

I understand that my approach isn't exactly what everyone, or probably even most people reading this thread, are necessarily interested in. But it's perhaps somewhat useful in any case. I'm going to focus on writing up the lower-level spells soon. I figure if I get this thing off the ground and it goes anywhere I can write up the higher levels ones as they become pertinent to the actual lives of the PCs.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

ScrivenerB wrote:Here's what I have so far: link

This isn't 100% 'canon', I've changed some of the gods' portfolios a bit.
Looks good to me, but as I said I don't really know Warhammer that well.

Now if you could just work out the Dark Elf stuff, my son would probably be hooked. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

Has anyone written anything about converting monsters in to DCC? Actually any conversion guides would be useful here. This evening I've kind of been poking around at converting some generic stuff in to DCC, looking to try a few Warhammer monsters.

I searched the forum and Google briefly but nothing popped up.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I have a lot of warhammer RPG books. Add some more dark peasant careers like sewer Jack, rat catcher,etc.
Get gunpowder rules.
Add the warhammer gods.
Change wizard class to colors. Red gets extra fire spells. Grey deals with illusion & deceit. Bonus to some spells while others are denied.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
8bitjunkie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bitjunkie »

Would the gun powder weapon rules from the 1e DMG fit well?
I have to get home to get the details, it has been a long time since I consulted that table!
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

The DMG gun rules were for boot hill conversions. More 19th century technology than 16th.

Return to “DCC RPG General”