Music of DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bryguy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Music of DCC

Post by bryguy »

MASTODON!
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

goodmangames wrote:The Cars, Good Times Roll
The Cars, Bye Bye Love
The Cars, You Might Think
The Cars, Tonight She Comes
Jefferson Starship, Fast Buck Freddie
Jefferson Starship, Light The Sky On Fire
Jefferson Starship, With Your Love
Jefferson Starship, St. Charles
Kansas, Carry On Wayward Son
Kansas, Point Of Know Return
Kansas, Song For America
Kansas, Hold On
The Moody Blues, The Actor
The Moody Blues, Ride My See-Saw
The Moody Blues, Dr. Livingston, I Presume
The Moody Blues, House Of Four Doors
The Moody Blues, Legend Of A Mind
The Moody Blues, House Of Four Doors (Part 2)
The Moody Blues, Voice In The Sky
The Moody Blues, The Best Way To Travel
The Moody Blues, Visions Of Paradise
Rush, Tom Sawyer
Rush, Red Barchetta
Rush, YYZ
REO Speedwagon, Roll With the Changes
The Who, Baba O'Riley
Cream, White Room
Carl Douglas, Kung Fu Fighting
Yes, Long Distance Runaround
Yes, Roundabout
Yes, I've Seen All Good People: Your Move / All Good People
Styx, Come Sail Away
Styx, Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
The Moody Blues & New World Philharmonic, The Voice
Argent, Hold Your Head Up
Blues Image, Ride Captain Ride (Single/LP Version)
Grand Funk Railroad, Closer To Home / I'm Your Captain
Pure Prairie League, Amie
Styx, Renegade
Styx, Mr. Roboto
Styx, Too Much Time On My Hands
Styx, Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
Styx, The Grand Illusion
Steppenwolf, Magic Carpet Ride
Mott the Hoople, All the Young Dudes
Edgar Winter, Free Ride
Edgar Winter, Frankenstein
I made a playlist on Pandora using as many of these songs as I could find in their database.
I called it "DCC radio", here's a direct link
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Not being familiar with Pandora, do I have to be logged in to hear your mix?

Clicking the link, the first song that played was by all-female garage band She. And even though is says DCC radio at the top, the next three songs were not from Joseph's list, either... :?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

GnomeBoy wrote:Not being familiar with Pandora, do I have to be logged in to hear your mix?

Clicking the link, the first song that played was by all-female garage band She. And even though is says DCC radio at the top, the next three songs were not from Joseph's list, either... :?
I think playlists are one of the features reserved for people that pay, and that the free listening which is available is only the "this is similar to the artist or song entered" type.

I could be wrong, as I have not checked on their policies since their removal of the limit on how many hours per month free listeners could use.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Pandora's pretty awesome. Go check it out, you'll dig it. I think streaming is the way the music industry is going. Which means it'll probably get overrun with shitty commercials before too long. Anyways, right now it's not.

Pandora will also play "similar" songs/artists, so you can potentially get a wide range of stuff playing. This can be annoying, as when something that you thumbs-up on one station (Rolling Stones, e.g.) shows up on another (your Nick Drake channel).

I would add Om, Sleep, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, QotSA, and probably Neurosis to the list of DCC bands, btw. And Black Sabbath / Dio of course.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

beermotor wrote:Pandora will also play "similar" songs/artists, so you can potentially get a wide range of stuff playing. This can be annoying, as when something that you thumbs-up on one station (Rolling Stones, e.g.) shows up on another (your Nick Drake channel).
That is pretty annoying... no where near as bad as when you want one type of music and it keeps playing unrelated music that was popular in the same time-frame.

Keeps playing Foo Fighters, Green Day, Nirvana, and Bush on my Metallica channel.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You might be able to get around it by having a "Thrash Metal" channel, and thumbing down any mid to late 90s sucky Metallica or non-metal stuff (grunge etc). Or do something less mainstream like Celtic Frost or Slayer or Anthrax and you should stay on the fringes and not pick up the mainstream stuff.
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

GnomeBoy wrote:Not being familiar with Pandora, do I have to be logged in to hear your mix?

As far as I know, no.

Pandora allows you to make custom radio stations. Unlike Spotify, it doesn't just play the songs and bands you select but it creates an playlist for your station based on the bands or songs you seed the station with. I've got about 8 stations and I've found that populating a station with songs (instead of bands) gives you a more diverse selection of songs that appear on your station. I populated "DCC radio" with as many of the songs from Joseph Goodman's list that I could find in Pandora's database.

When you're logged in to Pandora you can 'thumbs down' a song, which means you will never hear that song again on that station.

There are some weird glitchy things where sometimes it will play a divergent song from the station and then the next few songs are similar to that last song instead of the station. For instance, I have a "post-punk" station populated only with the bands Devo and REM, and occasionally a B-52s song comes up and then the next few songs are similar to rockabilly or house party music. After thee to five songs, the stations snaps back to it's theme, and if you're thumbing songs up and down it changes the theme of the station even more.

I've been listening to custom stations on Pandora for over a year now and I've never had to pay anything. Paying for a subscription just means that you don't get ads between songs and you can do a few more funky little tricks with stations. The advertising is never invasive though, so I've never felt inclined to pay. That being said, I love the Pandora setup and I do have eight custom stations!

I highly recommend that you sign up for an account and make a few stations, play around with it for a week or so and get acquainted with the way it works. It doesn't bomb you with long advertisements and you will never be stuck listening to "wacky" DJs with dumb jokes who prattle on ignorantly while you sit there thinking "Just play a damn song already!"
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

Lastfm.com

When it comes to more obscure music, their radio player is much better than pandora.

You don't get the functions of pandora's player, but you'll discover many, many more new artists similar to your original choice which you likely wouldn't discover otherwise.
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

headspice wrote:Lastfm.com

When it comes to more obscure music, their radio player is much better than pandora.
I've used both and I always go back to Pandora over lastfm.
Call it personal preference.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

nerdwerds wrote:
headspice wrote:Lastfm.com

I've used both and I always go back to Pandora over lastfm.
Call it personal preference.
I listen to vinyl mostly these days or rip my own music at much higher quality. Yahoo launchcast did the same thing 10 years ago, it's funny how the propagation of high speed internet has now made a service like Pandora marketable.
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kergalli »

For light background music while playing I like:

Wongraven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4IQumJOpzU

Crypt of the Wizard-era Mortiis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiNxKnJbstw

The Summoning (particularly Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdiab2D0Ohs

Just great dungeon-synth background music that isn't too obtrusive to the game.
beatniktom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beatniktom »

Much like DCC itself (an awesome blend of old-school and new-school) these bands pick up where Black Sabbath left off. If you love Black Sabbath and can't understand why there isn't more new bands utilizing their thing (detuned guitars, moody, dark tones) this is gonna change your world.

It's what I use for background music during play and prep:

Electric Wizard (my new favorite band)
Mammatus (these guys have some great instrumentals)

Also rad metal:

Sword (as previously mentioned)
Grand Magus
Celtic Frost
Candlemass
Mastodon (as previously mentioned)
beatniktom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beatniktom »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
beermotor wrote:Pandora will also play "similar" songs/artists, so you can potentially get a wide range of stuff playing. This can be annoying, as when something that you thumbs-up on one station (Rolling Stones, e.g.) shows up on another (your Nick Drake channel).
That is pretty annoying... no where near as bad as when you want one type of music and it keeps playing unrelated music that was popular in the same time-frame.

Keeps playing Foo Fighters, Green Day, Nirvana, and Bush on my Metallica channel.
Guys, that's not how Pandora works. It's radio. It only plays similar music, that's how it works.

If you want straight "this is a playlist" go Spotify, which is very popular.

For both services, you definitely need to pay their annual fee or you'll hear very jarring audio commercials.

I'm working on a game day playlist on Spotify right now, I'll post it up when it's ready.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

beatniktom wrote:Guys, that's not how Pandora works. It's radio. It only plays similar music, that's how it works.
Call me a genre snob then because Nirvana is not what I would describe as similar to Metallica, and yet clicking on my station that I created by typing in "metallica" results in pandora playing a smattering of songs from Metallica, Megadeth, covers of Metallica songs by other bands - all of which are similar to Metallica - and then will also play Nirvana, Bush, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Dishwalla which are a completely different style of music.
beatniktom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beatniktom »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
beatniktom wrote:Guys, that's not how Pandora works. It's radio. It only plays similar music, that's how it works.
Call me a genre snob then because Nirvana is not what I would describe as similar to Metallica, and yet clicking on my station that I created by typing in "metallica" results in pandora playing a smattering of songs from Metallica, Megadeth, covers of Metallica songs by other bands - all of which are similar to Metallica - and then will also play Nirvana, Bush, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Dishwalla which are a completely different style of music.
Ya, you gotta "school" her a bit. We call it slappin' Pandora around once in a while to keep her in line. On the other hand, you'll also discover new music that you'll dig.

The more you work on the station, the better it will get. Ups downs and more seeds will give her more to go on. It's pretty cool. I use both Pandora and Spotify depending on my needs.

I have one station that I've worked on for several years that I feel confident plugging in at a party or a bar without fear of being too embarrassed.

For game play, I recommend Spotify so you can control it completely - a "what the <b>f*ck</b> are you playing right now, dude?" moment could break some cool moment in the game.
beatniktom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beatniktom »

As promised, here's the Spotify playlist I intend to use. I'll be adding more soon, but some of this stoner metal has *really* long songs. One is 63 minutes, so setting it to shuffle and you should be good for a full session without any repeats. Again, lose the ads, they are horrible esp. for gaming.

Enjoy.

BeatnikTom's Righteous DCC Playlist:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1219290832 ... TjTZkmH7A0
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

beatniktom wrote: BeatnikTom's Righteous DCC Playlist:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1219290832 ... TjTZkmH7A0
I went and made a Spotify playlist as well, though mine's intended more for inspiration than for during play. And for good measure I added a big chunk of yours to mine. :)

http://open.spotify.com/user/threeheavy ... chU61BvcNr

It's a collaborative list, so theoretically anyone who subscribes to it can add songs to it. Lay 'em on me.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

Is it just me, or would "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones be a good song for a chaotic patron?

Return to “DCC RPG General”