DCC RPG Default Campaign World

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC RPG Default Campaign World

Post by Sizzaxe »

Am I right in assuming that Aereth will be the default campaign setting for DCC RPG?

I am still collecting the older DCC modules and am not too familiar with Aereth as a setting beyond the 3x modules I have thus far. So this may be an ignorant question, but I was just wondering if there would be any retooling of Aereth to make it's tone resonate with the flavor and Appendix N style of the DCC RPG? Or is this not really needed as it already resonates at that level?
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: DCC RPG Default Campaign World

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Speaking as someone who worked on the original, my guess is that there would have to be some significant retooling, or some re-imagining. Some of the names might remain the same, but the details and the vibe would be distinctly new and different.

When we were creating the original DCC world, we were really trying to catch the flavor of the "classic" D&D settings - Greyhawk, Mystara, Blackmoor, and the like. Those certainly have "Appendix N" elements, but it's all heavily steeped in other things as well.

A world built more specifically for the DCC RPG - at least what I've seen of it - would be a much weirder and fantastic (and slightly more forbidding) place.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I wonder what it would cost to acquire the rights to Leiber's Nehwon world (i.e. Lankhmar). Can you imagine that as the "offiical" DCC world? :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I've been reading through AD&D Lankhmar-City of Adventure, and Zak S's Vornheim... and boy does it want me to run a city based campaign.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

City adventures can be a lot of fun, and a great change of pace if players are used to constant dungeon crawls and wilderness treks. The neat thing is that you can bring in some politics and intrigue -- thieves guilds, nobles, and the like -- and if the players tick off an NPC they have to deal with him later on.

The AD&D Lankhmar city book is decent, but my all-time favorite city is the City-State of the Invincible Overlord by Judges' Guild in the 1970's. It's not as "realistic" as some but is quirky enough to keep players on their toes. For example, you might have a bar-keep who is a retired 8th level fighter, so players can't always just swagger in and own the place.

As far as reading material goes, Leiber's Lankhmar is an excellent city. Second favorite Haven from Simon Green's Hawk & Fisher series. Another classic is Santuary from the Thieves World anthologies. (Conan does stuff in cities sometimes, too, but I don't count that because his campaigns usually don't center around them.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”