Next two covers

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Next two covers

Post by goodmangames »

Doug finished the covers for the next two of the first eight DCC RPG modules. Here are some oversized previews. Nice work Doug...these are retro-awesome!

Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Next two covers

Post by GnomeBoy »

Want!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

#74, written by Harley....hmm, I can see I'll be buying #74 sight-unseen....

edit, later: Who am I kidding? I'ma buy them ALL.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I thought they looked great when we saw mini-sized images, but blown up they're even better! Very sweet! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Very nice. I love the title "Emirikol was framed". Lol.

No matter if DCC is my go-to (which I hope it is) or not. These modules are must-buys for me.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

LOLOLOL :mrgreen: I see you kept the afro on the one warrior! So retro 1970s!

About these adventures:

Are there a starting locations for these. For us without those old Aereth maps just where will these adventures take place and can the players us these new adventures/maps/locations to have a place to call home. Will allow for the DM the oppertunity to create more over land adventures. I figure one day you will reprint the Aereth maps but untill then I would like 'something' for my player group to call homebase. Like the example below. Plenty of exploring to do even on a small map like this. Will we see something like this map(link) in any of the adventures? HOMEBASE of sort...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ ... ellan-keep
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Blades is one of my favorite covers ever. Kovacs did a phenomenal job. I'm dying to see his rendering of the maps.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

MrHemlocks wrote:LOLOLOL :mrgreen: I see you kept the afro on the one warrior! So retro 1970s!

About these adventures:

Are there a starting locations for these. For us without those old Aereth maps just where will these adventures take place and can the players us these new adventures/maps/locations to have a place to call home. Will allow for the DM the oppertunity to create more over land adventures. I figure one day you will reprint the Aereth maps but untill then I would like 'something' for my player group to call homebase. Like the example below. Plenty of exploring to do even on a small map like this. Will we see something like this map(link) in any of the adventures? HOMEBASE of sort...

I need to see if I can dig up my old hand drawn Áereth maps. Place a hex grid on top of those and we'd be well on our way ...

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Harley Stroh wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:LOLOLOL :mrgreen: I see you kept the afro on the one warrior! So retro 1970s!

About these adventures:

I need to see if I can dig up my old hand drawn Áereth maps. Place a hex grid on top of those and we'd be well on our way ...

//H
Anyway you will be selling them to us needing a campaign setting??? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

They're only hand-drawn maps, nothing you guys couldn't cook up on your own. Not suitable for sale by any stretch. :)

Let me see what I have, if only for fun. I think that I might still have the translucent grids sheets from the Forgotten Realms box set. This might be a marriage made in gamer hell, but let me see how they scan. If nothing else, they will be a fun historical note on the development of Áereth.

//H

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I've gotten so many requests for some sort of Aereth mini-setting that we may just have to do one. :) No promises, and I have to maintain the "first things first" policy -- gotta get the game out first, then some modules, then a DM screen. All that comes first. So we're not talking until "down the road" at the earliest. But I do acknowledge all the requests.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

goodmangames wrote:I've gotten so many requests for some sort of Aereth mini-setting that we may just have to do one. :) No promises, and I have to maintain the "first things first" policy -- gotta get the game out first, then some modules, then a DM screen. All that comes first. So we're not talking until "down the road" at the earliest. But I do acknowledge all the requests.

There is hope...rejoice :D :D :D
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I checked the maps closet. A fun walk down memory lane. We started Áereth before I had a scanner, so we would mail the maps back and forth. Wild. Jeff LaSala and Mike Ferg are men among men.

Anyhow, I sketched the original maps way too lightly. When I placed the Forgotten Realms translucent hex sheet over them, the hexes were too strong.

I might be able to find a copy that I actually inked, but as I'm already behind on my promise to get Joseph 3 new patron write ups, I think I need to focus on the present task. :)

//H

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Anyhow, I sketched the original maps way too lightly. When I placed the Forgotten Realms translucent hex sheet over them, the hexes were too strong.
Scan them, and -- oh... I don't know -- somebody might be able to overlay a grid via Photoshop or something...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:Anyhow, I sketched the original maps way too lightly. When I placed the Forgotten Realms translucent hex sheet over them, the hexes were too strong.
Scan them, and -- oh... I don't know -- somebody might be able to overlay a grid via Photoshop or something...
Madness! I'm grinding ink and carving my quill pens. When will I have time to scan maps?!

Let me work on patrons today, and I'll upload some maps tonight. But please bear with me, for as Joseph knows, my image-fu is *weak*. I'm the gimp who has never even downloaded gimp.

//H

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Harley Stroh wrote:I'm grinding ink and carving my quill pens.
Weird. I just now dug out a bamboo pen for the drawing of a handout map fragment (for Thief's Lord Vault, no less), for tomorrow's game. As soon as the tea-staining dries, it'll be put to use...

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

[/sarcasm off]

You never fail to impress me, Gnomie. I'm always surprised when cool people know how to do unexpected cool stuff.

:)

[sarcasm back on, in full overpowering strength]
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

even before I read and digested the beta ruleset, the art in the PDF and (even moreso) the cover art for the modules had me sold. Love the work so far -- content and art.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:get the game out first, then some modules, then a DM screen
Just caught that! A DM screen! :D :D :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:Scan them, and -- oh... I don't know -- somebody might be able to overlay a grid via Photoshop or something...
Here you go, GB. But man, they really are faint. I wonder if I gave away all the inked and colored versions? That, or I need to spend more time in the map closet.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=17996

//H

nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

The title "Emerikol Was Framed" had me laughing out loud.

Love the art for "Blades Against Death". Especially the 'fro.

I have a question about the numbering and DCC heading on the modules. They are not being numbered from the beginning of the line of DCC RPG material, but rather from the beginning of DCC the product line? Will there be any way to tell at a glance which modules are DCC RPG, and which say DCC but are for other RPGs like 3e or 4e?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

nanstreet wrote:...Will there be any way to tell at a glance which modules are DCC RPG, and which say DCC but are for other RPGs like 3e or 4e?
I am not being snarky when I ask: The layout and art style is not enough???

*gen-u-wine-ly confused*

nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

GnomeBoy wrote:
nanstreet wrote:...Will there be any way to tell at a glance which modules are DCC RPG, and which say DCC but are for other RPGs like 3e or 4e?

*gen-u-wine-ly confused*
I know it and you know it :D , but I'm wondering about more casual gamers who don't hang out at the DCC message boards. There's lots of games I like to play where I don't feel the need or desire to go to a message board and read background stuff etc ect I just like to pay the game. So, I can see someone picking up DCC RPG and then thinking, "This looks good lemme just buy some modules to go along with this oooh look at all the modules". Will they be able to tell which of the modules are DCC RPG and which are DCC not-RPG?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

nanstreet wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:

*gen-u-wine-ly confused*
I know it and you know it :D , but I'm wondering about more casual gamers who don't hang out at the DCC message boards. There's lots of games I like to play where I don't feel the need or desire to go to a message board and read background stuff etc ect I just like to pay the game. So, I can see someone picking up DCC RPG and then thinking, "This looks good lemme just buy some modules to go along with this oooh look at all the modules". Will they be able to tell which of the modules are DCC RPG and which are DCC not-RPG?
Ah, I didn't realize you were asking as a benefactor! :D

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I think they'll look sufficiently different to allow retailers to distinguish them. Once the new DCC RPG look starts, all DCC modules will use DCC RPG rules. They'll be pretty distinct from the 4E modules, which used a different DCC logo, had digital half-page cover art (versus painted full-page art), and of course had the D&D 4E logo on the back.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”