What campaign setting will you use with the new DCC core set

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

What campaign setting will you use with the new DCC core set

Post by MrHemlocks »

Hello

I am new to DCC and from what I had been reading the game seems great! I will be buying the DCC core rule book when released. This will give me some time to prepeare a campaign setting for my players. Now this is where you guys can help.

I spoke with Mr. Goodman and he mentioned Aereth locations will be used with the new line of adventures made for DCC. For those of use new/old players of DCC that can not get a hold of these< see below> three adventure series because of being out of print and those that can be ordered sell for a ridiculous on ebay/Amazon.com what campaign setting to use?

I plan to start a DCC campaign at my local game store this fall but really need a world setting. I have run a Call of Cthulhu group for over four years now and what I feel really binds the players to the game is the campaign setting we use...1920'S Arkham.

Any suggestions? :?

Dungeon Crawl Classics 35 *TOS: Gazetteer of the Known Realms
Dungeon Crawl Classics Adventure Path: Saga of the Dragon CultSaga of the Dragon Cult
Dungeon Crawl Classics 51: Castle Whiterock--- On Tue, 8/16/11, Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: What campaign setting will you use with the new DCC core

Post by finarvyn »

I think that a number of campaigns have that "DCC" feel, or at least the potential to work well with DCC. Almost anything with a "dark pulp" type Swords & Sorcery feel should be fine.

1. The modules, etc, that Goodman Games put out already are a great start.
2. The old Judges' Guild "Wilderlands" campaign would work well and has an old school pulpy feel.
3. Using Fritz Leiber's "Lankhmar" setting (TSR did some books for 2E AD&D set in Lankhmar) should give some good adventures, plus there is a wealth of fiction to help set the tone.

That's just three solid choices off the top of my head. I can also see using Howard's Hyboria (Conan) or Arneson's Blackmoor with a lot of success. The right kind of flavor there as well, particularly the Conan setting because of the fiction to choose from.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I just find it a little sad/upseting that they let Aereth die (in print) but still will be using locations in Aereth as a reference point when printing the newest adventures for DCC rule set.

Still looks like a fun game and I am excited about getting the new DCC rules, but there just seems to be 'something' missing...a place to call the adventures home. Sure, I can buy other campaign settings and try to fudge in locations and change location names but they will NEVER really feel like they are actually part of DCC and the adventure moduals.

Sorry but I felt like ranting... :mrgreen:
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Probably the PoL supps published by Goodman Games.
What do you mean no?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

joela wrote:Probably the PoL supps published by Goodman Games.
What are they?
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

Forgive me for tooting my own horn here. My Isle of the Unknown (forthcoming this fall from Lamentations of the Flame Princess) would work very well with DCC RPG.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Geoffrey wrote:Forgive me for tooting my own horn here. My Isle of the Unknown (forthcoming this fall from Lamentations of the Flame Princess) would work very well with DCC RPG.

Toot away! :)
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

JediOre wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Forgive me for tooting my own horn here. My Isle of the Unknown (forthcoming this fall from Lamentations of the Flame Princess) would work very well with DCC RPG.

Toot away! :)
Its major inspiration is Clark Ashton Smith, the good friend of H. P. Lovecraft and R. E. Howard. The Isle basically feels like Averoigne with monsters from Hyperborea.

The Isle shares with the forthcoming DCC RPG modules the utter lack of standardized, published monsters. Each of the 109 monsters on the Isle is unique and never-before-published (with one exception that was published in Fight On! #4).

Same with magic items. There are no wands of fireballs or +1 swords or suits of magic plate mail to be found on the Isle.

Same with spell-casters. Each of the 27 magic-users and the 15 clerics in the book has unique powers all his own. None of them casts standardized, published spells. No boring ol' fireballs ("Let's see, he's 5th level so his fireball did 5d6 damage...").

As can be seen from above, the Isle feels like 1930s pulp fantasy from the pages of Weird Tales. It doesn't feel like standardized, homogenized D&D. I can honestly say that the DCC RPG gives me a similar feel to the Isle of the Unknown. And since it will be published in the same general time frame as DCC RPG, the timing is pretty much perfect. :)
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Pardon me. I forgot about the Carcosa setting and LotFP modules when I made my list above. Both would be fun using DCC rules! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

MrHemlocks wrote:
What are they?
http://www.goodman-games.com/4380preview.html
http://www.goodman-games.com/4381preview.html
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

MrHemlocks wrote:I just find it a little sad/upseting that they let Aereth die (in print) but still will be using locations in Aereth as a reference point when printing the newest adventures for DCC rule set.

Still looks like a fun game and I am excited about getting the new DCC rules, but there just seems to be 'something' missing...a place to call the adventures home. Sure, I can buy other campaign settings and try to fudge in locations and change location names but they will NEVER really feel like they are actually part of DCC and the adventure moduals.

Completely understandable. And while the campaign box set is indeed out of print, that doesn't mean that this is the last you'll see of the Known World. Nothing concrete just yet (right now we are scrambling to keep up with all the excellent suggestions being made in playtests and on the forums), but once the core book is wrapped up, I'm sure there will something to share.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Harley Stroh wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:I just find it a little sad/upseting that they let Aereth die (in print) but still will be using locations in Aereth as a reference point when printing the newest adventures for DCC rule set.

Completely understandable. And while the campaign box set is indeed out of print, that doesn't mean that this is the last you'll see of the Known World. Nothing concrete just yet (right now we are scrambling to keep up with all the excellent suggestions being made in playtests and on the forums), but once the core book is wrapped up, I'm sure there will something to share.

//H
Thanks for incouraging reply 8) If there is hope for a campaign setting then I will be buying two DCC core rule books. One for my collection and the other for those pizza eating gamers to mess with :wink:
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

dunbruha wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:
What are they?
http://www.goodman-games.com/4380preview.html
http://www.goodman-games.com/4381preview.html
Ha! Looks like they either hired the Bat in the Attic guy or they stole his style (like me).

Players map example from POL:
http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... rs-Map.pdf

Bat in the Attic
http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -your.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/beta/rotwangmap7sm.jpg

Nevermind... the preview answers my question... Rob Conley is one of the developers. http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... review.pdf
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Well... the following link will take any interested party to the blog I started to organize 3-4 years of work. I don't even attempt Appendix N... but most folks I run games for love it. I still have a lot more to post, but what's there should give folks an idea of the direction I'm going. As soon as I can I'll be posting my house rules file file to show the spells, classes, and patron lists that I've come up with. I have about 20 pages of "history file" organizing and placing dates to important events that I'd post, but I don't want my players reading too much of it... spoilers... :twisted:

http://myaereth.blogspot.com/2011/09/ho ... began.html
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Geoffrey's Isle of the Unknown sounds very promising. I like his stuff a good deal.

I'll most likely use DCC in my own setting that I'm working on -- which doesn't qualify as a traditional fantasy setting really. So I find it hard to count that.

So... I'll probably use DCC for my fantasy kick with either the Wilderlands or one of the OSR settings I've picked up lately.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Tortog wrote:Well... the following link will take any interested party to the blog I started to organize 3-4 years of work. I don't even attempt Appendix N... but most folks I run games for love it. I still have a lot more to post, but what's there should give folks an idea of the direction I'm going. As soon as I can I'll be posting my house rules file file to show the spells, classes, and patron lists that I've come up with. I have about 20 pages of "history file" organizing and placing dates to important events that I'd post, but I don't want my players reading too much of it... spoilers... :twisted:

http://myaereth.blogspot.com/2011/09/ho ... began.html
Tortog,

That is quite the body of work. I look forward to reading more.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Well, I have the feeling that we will be seeing pieces and parts of a new Áereth once DCC and the adventures are released. I can smell in the air :D

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Not to rub it in for those who didn't get the Aereth boxed set, but....every time I open one of the six poster maps and I see the grass-green ink (like in the JPEG above).....I get chills.

Those are some seriously "effing" beautiful--stunning--maps.

Reminds me of when I was 12 and first saw Gygax's Greyhawk map...to this day, I still remember my fascination with what "the Pomarj" was. (I didn't have the associated book to read it's description, so my 12 year old imagination was allowed to go wild.) The map was the one included with the World of Greyhawk Folio, BTW.

Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogre... if a Troll or a Toad shows up at your door shortly... um, well, when I say 'run' --

RUN!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

smathis wrote:Geoffrey's Isle of the Unknown sounds very promising. I like his stuff a good deal.

I'll most likely use DCC in my own setting that I'm working on -- which doesn't qualify as a traditional fantasy setting really. So I find it hard to count that.

So... I'll probably use DCC for my fantasy kick with either the Wilderlands or one of the OSR settings I've picked up lately.
Thanks for the kind words!

Since the Isle of the Unknown is a single island, it can be tossed into any campaign world that has an ocean. :D
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:Ogre... if a Troll or a Toad shows up at your door shortly... um, well, when I say 'run' --

RUN!
What..?!? It's not like I'm using copyrighted material.

Besides, they tried to take money from me without sending me a product, and I had to get PayPal to bark up their tree just to get my money back. It was ridiculous.

So they owe me.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Not to rub it in for those who didn't get the Aereth boxed set, but....every time I open one of the six poster maps and I see the grass-green ink (like in the JPEG above).....I get chills.

Those are some seriously "effing" beautiful--stunning--maps.

Reminds me of when I was 12 and first saw Gygax's Greyhawk map...to this day, I still remember my fascination with what "the Pomarj" was. (I didn't have the associated book to read it's description, so my 12 year old imagination was allowed to go wild.) The map was the one included with the World of Greyhawk Folio, BTW.

I have never seen one of these before. Man what did you do to Troll & Toad? :shock:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

DCCfan wrote:Man what did you do to Troll & Toad? :shock:
Wh-wh-what are you talking about? I didn't do nuthin'. Y'alls makin' me paranoid.

:: looks nervously over shoulder ::
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Geoffrey wrote:
Thanks for the kind words!

Since the Isle of the Unknown is a single island, it can be tossed into any campaign world that has an ocean. :D
I will definitly be looking at Carcosa or Isle of the Unknown as the setting for a DCC campaign. I don't know where I'm going to get the money, but I want both books!
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “DCC RPG General”