New to DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stonebreaker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

New to DCC RPG

Post by Stonebreaker »

Hi All,
I'm new to this site, so let me say firstly that I really like what Goodman Games is doing with DCC RPG. I've been playing DnD in all it's forms for going on 30 years and to me at least, and possibly some others, the latest versions of the game have really strayed from original feel of the game. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new games a lot. But it seems to me that everything has slowed down. In an attempt to cover, clarify, and codify everything with rules, battles seem to take a lot longer, and the role playing aspect of the game has really taken a back seat.
So I tip my cap to the crew at Goodman Games. Keep up the good work.
I really would like to play test the beta game but I would like to find some people in my area who are willing to. I live in western Connecticut, so if any one is up for some play testing please respond to this thread.
Thanks
Stonebreaker
Stop roll playing and start ROLE PLAYING!!!
Play Attention.
Coffeedragon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: New to DCC RPG

Post by Coffeedragon »

Stonebreaker wrote:. In an attempt to cover, clarify, and codify everything with rules, battles seem to take a lot longer, and the role playing aspect of the game has really taken a back seat.
Hi Stonebreaker. Welcome to the forum :)
I agree about the nature of the game these days. As a friend said today "the game (D&D 3+) has become about what your character can do, not what he did or how he did it"
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Even worse, in my opinion, is that by making a list of what you can do that is so specific I think that 3E has really focused the game on what you can't do.

OD&D has no skills. When my players come up with a clever idea, they would just try it and I would determine what kind of roll was needed. Ususally a "stat check" with some modifier for difficulty. With 3E my players are constantly checking their skill list and seem to be deciding what they can and can't even try based on whether they have points in a particular skill or not. Even if they have a skill but are bad at it, they often don't seem to attempt the same kinds of actions. Totally different philosophy.

That's one thing I love about DCC -- the fact that the game does not rely on complex skill lists that limit my players' options.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Yep I'd like to see a T-shirt made that says, "OSR: Roll some dice then make stuff up"
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Anselyn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Anselyn »

Stainless wrote:Yep I'd like to see a T-shirt made that says, "OSR: Roll some dice then make stuff up"
"A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make." Gary Gygax
Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha

Return to “DCC RPG General”