The Implied Setting of the DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

The Implied Setting of the DCC RPG

Post by geordie racer »

From looking at the rules and mechanics, what facts about the setting do they imply?
Sean Wills
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: The Implied Setting of the DCC RPG

Post by abk108 »

I don't think there's much of a defined setting. Just bear in mind this is supposed to be a grittier fantasy medieval world than 3E or 4E. It seems to be a low-power setting, without many Elminster, God-like people. There might be an Elminster, but he'd just be level 10 not level 40! :P
maybe if you take a look at OD&D adventures and modules you get an idea.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Sean, I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.

The modules have attempted to have a dark, gritty tone more like a blend of fantasy and horror. The images I get in my mind is a blend of Robert E Howard (Conan) and Fritz Leiber (Lankhmar) but honestly some of this is based on preconceptions that I bring into the game.

The rules and mechanics of the DCC system are not too far from D&D (fundamentally) so the setting could potentially be anything D&D-like. Wizards use magic, thieves pick locks, clerics pray to deities, and fighters fight things. I suspect you know all of this and are looking for something deeper.

I guess a deeper look at the rules would tell me that fighters are heroic and somewhat cinematic (MDoA) and that wizards have dark secrets (corruption and patrons) and sometimes cast spells with unknown effect (spell charts). Luck is important, and this makes some parts of the setting whimsical although hopefully not slapstick. Magic items aren't mass produced but should be meaningful and unique and wonderful.

I take part of it back -- probably more Lankhmar than Conan.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

The setting is explicitly stated at least once in the beta rules document, but I am not sure how it is going to be altered for DCCRPG.

Look on page 17 in the first paragraph of the Alignment section. It states: "On one such plane resides your trivial existence, tiny next to the vastness of Aéreth, even tinier next to the vastness of the cosmos."

If you can find a copy of DCC #35 http://www.goodman-games.com/5034preview.html you can at least get an idea of what the world is like. You can also use http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-aereth.html to get some information about the world. Just be aware that the 3.x/4e version of Aéreth may be a different place than the DCCRPG version.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

The Style I got most from the Beta rule set reminded me of the Elric stories and other Moorcock settings personally. But that's kinda the point isn't it? Anyone with a decent background in the appendix N reading list ought to have had their favorite sub set from that list spring to mind from the flavor of the Beta.

I'm going for a mix up of Moorcock/Lieber/Norton themes in the playtest campaign I plan on setting up for my local game store. Hopefully others will theme there first adventures/worlds differently. If so I hope they'll post their thoughts here as they see how the rules reflect these classic starting points?
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Ducaster wrote:The Style I got most from the Beta rule set reminded me of the Elric stories and other Moorcock settings personally
I got the same vibe as well. Dark fantasy with unpredictable magic, scheming patrons, dying/rising kingdoms, with cinematic elements like slaughtering multiple opponents via steel, wits, and luck alone.
What do you mean no?
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

The rules heavily imply a setting with rampant unemployment and a high birth rate.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Eldric IV wrote:The rules heavily imply a setting with rampant unemployment and a high birth rate.
Laughed aloud at that. Well played, sir.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Eldric IV wrote:The rules heavily imply a setting with rampant unemployment and a high birth rate.
Actually, considering the rate of retirement going on, employment should be booming (although short term on an individual basis).
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Eldric IV
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Eldric IV »

Stainless wrote:Actually, considering the rate of retirement going on, employment should be booming (although short term on an individual basis).
The people with steady jobs are not likely the ones heading out to die ... er, that is adventure in the wilderness and ancient ruins.

Return to “DCC RPG General”