Paging Joseph Goodman!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Paging Joseph Goodman!

Post by bholmes4 »

moes1980 wrote: That clinched it, im off to pre-order!
Same. Sign me up.
yell0w_lantern
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by yell0w_lantern »

finarvyn wrote:We had this discussion at length in a thread called "Kill the Cleric" or something similar to that, where we tried to identify examples of a cleric found in Appendix N. We really didn't find too many, and the closest we found was really a warrior-priest or essentially a Paladin-type holy fighter.

I had suggested in a tongue-in-cheek way that we actually do away with the cleric altogether, since the current version wasn't really found much in the source literature. Then, of course, Joseph weighed in and stated that the cleric goes back to the roots of RPGs and that the cleric stays.

My personal preference would be to push the Cleric back into the Christian role, since it fits the Appendix N books more. One can argue that Holger Carlson (the paladin in Three Hearts and Three Lions) is a cleric because of the way he uses his faith, and under that definition it becomes easier to actually find good examples of clerics in Appendix N.

Well, hopefully a hybrid class that isn't a cleric will be an option somewhere in the book.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

yell0w_lantern wrote:Well, hopefully a hybrid class that isn't a cleric will be an option somewhere in the book.
At this point, looks like no hybrid classes. On the other hand, the cleric looks cooler to me than other clerics in other RPGs. I've hardly ever been interested in clerics at all, but now I'm pumped to give one a try. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”