Appendix N Recommendations and Adventuring Parties

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Appendix N Recommendations and Adventuring Parties

Post by kataskicana »

I have a question for everyone about Appendix N literature. I haven't read all of appendix N, but am probably around 80%. Unfortunately, less than 30% in the last 5 years or so... and I've slept since reading any of it. So....

What are some examples of actual adventurers that work in groups in Appendix N? I mostly recall solo heroes and two man teams. I don't really recall any full groups off the top of my head other than Tolkien and they spent most of the trilogy in 2-3 man groups too.

I'd also like to read some of the more obscure 20% I haven't read... so any recommendations would be appreciated. (featuring groups or otherwise)

Thanks!
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Appendix N Recommendations and Adventuring Parties

Post by geordie racer »

I think Hiero's Journey has the oddest team - a psionic warrior-priest, a runaway princess, a bear and a giant moose.
Sean Wills
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

geordie racer wrote:I think Hiero's Journey has the oddest team - a psionic warrior-priest, a runaway princess, a bear and a giant moose.
Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasty...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

The moose is the most sympathic character in the novel.

I think most of the 'teams' in the books actually work as duos or trios. Also there aren't many hirelings at low level, although loads of subjects at high level (King Conan, Corwin in Amber etc).

Even the Fellowship itself is like 4 PC hobbits aided by higher-level NPCs and the DM's fave unkillable NPC wizard.
Sean Wills
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

In The Hobbit, there is only one pc with his thirteen dwarf followers.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Honestly, I think one of the biggest differences between books/movies and games is the individual vs party concept.

Books and movies tend to gravitate to individuals or pairs. (Hero-hero or hero-sidekick.) I suspect it's because it's hard to give everyone "air time" if there are too many characters. Think about the X-Men or Fantastic Four or other "pack of heroes" movie and often a given movie tends to develop a plotline with one or two heroes in the spotlight more than the rest. I guess Star Wars managed to juggle quite a few characters around a lot, but they often split the party into small group rather than having everyone run around as a mob.

Contrast this with a game, where a "turn" lasts only a few minutes and each character can trade off the spotlight a lot faster. There might not be serious in-depth plotlines for a single character, but instead a party plotline to move the entire group along.

I think that many of the books with the "party" mentality, such as DragonLance, came out after D&D was created instead of before. At least, I can't come up with a lot of examples from Appendix N to support the "party" dynamic.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

mshensley wrote:In The Hobbit, there is only one pc with his thirteen dwarf followers.
Agreed. While the dwarves are all named, there are limited player characters in the group.

Bilbo, of course, and perhaps you could argue that Thorin Oakenshield would have been a PC. Gandalf might be one, but he's pretty powerful and in many ways overshadowed the rest.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:
mshensley wrote:In The Hobbit, there is only one pc with his thirteen dwarf followers.
Agreed. While the dwarves are all named, there are limited player characters in the group.

Bilbo, of course, and perhaps you could argue that Thorin Oakenshield would have been a PC. Gandalf might be one, but he's pretty powerful and in many ways overshadowed the rest.
Bard was a totally min-maxed PC who only showed up for one session.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

mythfish wrote:Bard was a totally min-maxed PC who only showed up for one session.
Nice catch! :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Though The Moon Pool is mostly centred around a duo, by the end the team consists of a scholar, a rogue, a priestess and a barbarian. Vaguely D&D-ish, I suppose.
Sean Wills
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

I just don't think adventure fiction works very well with groups.

Doc Savage is a great example - at the start of the series, he had 5 assistants, but almost immediately only half of them were used in subsequent novels I guess because it just proved unwieldy. Usually just Doc + Ham + Monk + Monk's pig + woman as a foil (generally a new one for the story, but often his cousin).
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

trancejeremy wrote:I just don't think adventure fiction works very well with groups.
Superhero groups are as close as you get.

And they don't map onto adventuring very well. Adventuring is pro-active: Let's go into the Tomb of Doom and find some loot. Superheroes are reactive: Doc Doom is doing what? Let's stop him.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

trancejeremy wrote:I just don't think adventure fiction works very well with groups.
It depends on the fiction. The Joe Abercrombie books I just finished reading had some rather large parties of characters through most of the stories. Best Served Cold had a great group - two fighters, a barbarian, two poisoners, and an autistic thug. And they all hated each other.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

jmucchiello wrote:Superheroes are reactive: Doc Doom is doing what? Let's stop him.
Almost all rpg modules are reactive too. The goblins are raiding the village. Let's stop them.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

mshensley wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:Superheroes are reactive: Doc Doom is doing what? Let's stop him.
Almost all rpg modules are reactive too. The goblins are raiding the village. Let's stop them.
No, Most RPG modules are home invasions. Doing a home invasion is rarely "reactive".

Goblin raiders are usually dealt with by "hunting every last one of them down and killing them." The response may be in reaction to a village being attacked but the genocide that follows is proactive.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

Mazirian the Magician, now that dude needed backup.
Sean Wills

Return to “DCC RPG General”