Long-Term DCC Play

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Long-Term DCC Play

Post by Karaptis »

I would just like to point out that the rulebook barely made it to people's houses and isn't even on store shelves. If the modules are like 66.5, this game will proceed to kick ass and Mr Goodman has given the green light to let any of us publish or post here rules, adventures and settings that will enhance the game. So before we all go off on setting or long term play, let's open the new book and play an adventure or two. I will not lose sleep over shitty DMs, for it is up to the players to oust that DM. Look for tools for the time consumed DM to come. I'm sure that someone will come up with some be it Mr Goodman or the 3PP crew.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:I would just like to point out that the rulebook barely made it to people's houses and isn't even on store shelves. If the modules are like 66.5, this game will proceed to kick ass and Mr Goodman has given the green light to let any of us publish or post here rules, adventures and settings that will enhance the game. So before we all go off on setting or long term play, let's open the new book and play an adventure or two. I will not lose sleep over shitty DMs, for it is up to the players to oust that DM. Look for tools for the time consumed DM to come. I'm sure that someone will come up with some be it Mr Goodman or the 3PP crew.
Feedback is not the same thing (necessarily) as complaint.

Trying to identify areas where product is likely to be appreciated is an attempt to help, not an attempt to cut down.

I can only assume that publishers (Goodman Games and others) will either think it is of value, or not, and examine or ignore it accordingly. But I would be an idiot to see that I would like a patron book, imagine that others might like the same, and then say nothing in hopes that it might just appear.

(EDIT: It is true, of course, that I am an idiot, but I don't usually try to make it too obvious. :oops: )

I am very much looking forward to examining 66.5, but, sadly, my preorder is still somewhere in the nethersphere of US and Canadian post.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Karaptis wrote:I would just like to point out that the rulebook barely made it to people's houses and isn't even on store shelves. If the modules are like 66.5, this game will proceed to kick ass and Mr Goodman has given the green light to let any of us publish or post here rules, adventures and settings that will enhance the game. So before we all go off on setting or long term play, let's open the new book and play an adventure or two. I will not lose sleep over shitty DMs, for it is up to the players to oust that DM. Look for tools for the time consumed DM to come. I'm sure that someone will come up with some be it Mr Goodman or the 3PP crew.
Feedback is not the same thing (necessarily) as complaint.

Trying to identify areas where product is likely to be appreciated is an attempt to help, not an attempt to cut down.

I can only assume that publishers (Goodman Games and others) will either think it is of value, or not, and examine or ignore it accordingly. But I would be an idiot to see that I would like a patron book, imagine that others might like the same, and then say nothing in hopes that it might just appear.

(EDIT: It is true, of course, that I am an idiot, but I don't usually try to make it too obvious. :oops: )

I am very much looking forward to examining 66.5, but, sadly, my preorder is still somewhere in the nethersphere of US and Canadian post.

RC
I'm not trying to single you out RC. I ,in no way, assume you to be an idiot either. Where is that hugging picture Ogrepuppy had up!?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:I ,in no way, assume you to be an idiot either.
You would if you knew me better. :D

I am as prone to idiocy as anyone else.

Besides, I am thinking about using this instead of the ruleset I was working on -- it is that good! -- and I want people to make the products which would make that easier.....

See, pure selfishness.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I had to go back and re-read this thread to see where I got lost, because I got focused on some particulars.

But, going back to what I was saying about Long-Term DCC Play, is that there are tons of materials out there that support every type of "Campaign", from a string of loosely tied adventures, or a bunch of random one-shots, or a mega-adventure "adventure path". It's obvious the official line is focused on "drop in" adventures that can fit any campaign setting as long as it's "generic" DCC and the Core Book does include a lot of tools that the BETA was lacking, like magic item creation and how-to's for making "unique" monsters and advice on treasure. If I understand Raven_Crowking correctly, he'd like to see even more tools that are DCC RPG flavored to support DCC RPG campaigns.

What I have been doing, and a lot of it can be found in Crawl! (shameless plug), is modifying a lot of existing materials to make it less "D&D" and follow DCC RPG principles (unique & dangerous monsters & magic.) Since BETA I've been creating tools to twist existing OSR & Classic D&D tropes to follow those principles. Simple things like re-skinning orcs & goblins (which can be found in the Core Book) and converting classic spells to be a bit more random and dangerous (Generic Corruption in the Core Book and in Crawl! #1) are sometimes all you need to do. So you can take any existing campaign setting, whether its a Mega-dungeon or sandbox and DCC-ify it pretty easily. I do it on the fly every time. I guess that's my point.

But some 3PP, like TA/TG and Chapter 13's Fallen Empire look like pretty comprehensive campaign settings. So I think a lot of concerns are covered. I could take a copy of the Core Book and any megadungeon or sandbox and probably play forever.

I mentioned this earlier, but the sandboxes written by Geoffrey Mckinney (Carcosa & Isle of the Unknown) are full of completely unique and dangerous magic and monsters. No conversions necessary. You can play for years exploring those maps.

Note, I've only learned how to run sandboxes recently and in no way do I consider myself good at running them. But I think Players are just as much a factor on how well sandboxes play out. I think it's easier to "teach" new players by running them through a "railroad" but it sets precedence on how "adventures" play out, and probably bad habits. I don't know. After playing D&D since 1979-ish, I still havent' figured it out.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I think certain game systems are predispositioned to running certain styles of games better than others. I have never found any ruleset of D&D to be the ideal game for RP-intense games. So much of the game is geared towards killing sh*t that it's just a poor match. Want my recommendation for this? Burning Wheel. Hands down the best FRPG with a focus on story I've played, bar none.

The more adventure-based games, however, don't do very well using the Burning Wheel in my experience either. That's really where D&D shines. The problem with 3.whatever is that it's not even very well suited to this style of game beyond certain levels. All versions of the game break at about 12th level. Not to mention, there is so much math involved in the game that doing a sandbox-style game is pretty difficult for people who have a solid grasp of the rules.

DCC RPG seems to excel at the railroad or sand-box game while still encouraging players to roleplay more than the current editions of D&D. It's a good medium. At any rate, the more I see pictures of the books, the more excited I get for them. I've never bought modules in my life, and I plan on grabbing most of the GG ones, plus a few others (Cloudmaker Mountain!).
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Purple Planet and the Shudder Mountains, it should be noted, are great examples of the mini-sandbox I was talking about earlier in this thread. They are also great products.
SoBH pbp:

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

well, this is blast from the past :D

Return to “DCC RPG General”