Harryhausen Monsters

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Harryhausen Monsters

Post by Raven_Crowking »

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... crawl.html

In memoriam of the great Ray Harryhausen, why not throw some of these into your game this weekend?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Harryhausen Monsters

Post by Skars »

Utter and complete win, thanks RC! I think these would be a great article for crawl! a little tribute to the man that embodied the way I visualized mythology throughout my childhood.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

YEAH! RAD, TOTALLY RAD in the Southern California, Totally Awesome way...
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

Pure dead brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to toss a couple skeletons in the next adventure and play the fight from Jason and the Argonauts...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Very well done!

I have a boxed set of Harryhousen movies (Argonots and the three Sinbad flicks) and now I feel inspired to dust it off and watch!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... crawl.html

In memoriam of the great Ray Harryhausen, why not throw some of these into your game this weekend?
I like that in the pic with the 6-armed animated statue, the evil mage looks like he's next to the two heroes, sorta contemplating his work with them.

- So, waddaya think?
- Not bad, man, not bad at all.

It's like, kill the mage and see if the statue will fall to the floor: simpler than battling this thing.

Hehe.

Good movies, good stuff. I used to love those movies as a kid.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That "evil mage" is Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor in Doctor Who!

ImageImage
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

You continue to rule RC!
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:That "evil mage" is Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor in Doctor Who!
Didn't know that, interestint anecdote.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Patrick Troughton was in one of the Sinbads or maybe Jason and the Argonauts.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yes he was. Eye of the Tiger, baby!

SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I have also seen him in a number of Hammer flicks as well.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Karaptis wrote:Patrick Troughton was in one of the Sinbads or maybe Jason and the Argonauts.
He was the blind dude trapped by the harpies, wasn't he?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Patrick Troughton played Melanthius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinbad_and ... _the_Tiger
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ooo, but he also played the blind dude harassed by harpies...

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0074884/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJjjIuUAjM

8)
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very cool! I didn't realize that.
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

The Hammer flicks I know of were Viking Queen and Scars of Dracula. I think my favorite Dr Who episode was Invasion.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

sorry for turning this into a Patrick Troughton is awesome thread!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

No worries. Patrick Troughton is awesome. I wish more of his Doctor Who stories had survived intact.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

So inspired by this thread, yesterday I decide to show one of the Sinbad movies to my eldest 7-year old son. He says, I've already seen Sinbad. I'm like, no way, that's not possible, you can't have seen the "real" Sinbad! He insists, so I jump on YouTube where I find that at least a couple are available and as I browse over a couple of scenes to show him. After having admitted that he had not seen these movies, he says, dad, this is lame, look how the monsters move, this is just too weird. I'm like, yeah, but forget about that, it's still pretty good no? Hmm, he says as he considers the movie a bit more, this is an old movie right? (He was being polite.) Yeah, I concede. He asks, as he watches the giant horned prehistoric man, why does he talk so weird? He does talk weird, I must admit. I jump to the battle with the tiger - vague interest on his part. I jump to another movie and we see the battle with the giant warlus. Haha, I'm slapping my hand on my tigh, this is too funny, I think, the special effects really sucked. Plus the creature looks so slow my 2 year old could outrun it. My son finds the movie mildly amusing. So, he concludes, stop kidding now, what will we really watch?

Thus endeth my Sinbad incursion with my offspring after 5 minutes of scene skimming. Reminds me when I had to watch black and white movies as a kid.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That reminds me of when my son was younger, and they had him watch Tora! Tora! Tora! for school. He is honestly only mildly interested, even as Pearl Harbor is being bombed, until I causally mention that this had been filmed in 1970, and there were no computer effects then. It changes kids opinions, sometimes, when they know how something is done.

In the case of the Sinbad movies, the live action and the creature affects were not put together with a computer. The live action was shot, and then projected frame-by-frame behind the stop-motion, with the artist careful adjusting each frame to make the creature(s) therein seem to react to the live action. In some cases, there is a cunning use of puppetry as well, so that the live actors have real "creature parts" to interact with.

Also, take a look at the credits some time. See just how many people are creating the modern effects you are seeing on a modern "monster flick" like Jurassic Park. Then go back and look at the credits on One Million BC. When your son realizes that these creature effects are the result of mostly one man's efforts, he may be more impressed.

(Also, frankly, these scenes are a lot better in context of the film than just shown in bits and pieces on YouTube.)
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

My son is liking the old Dr Whos. He has been on Herc and Xena kick lately because I got him into Army of Darkness which wasn't too scary for an 8 year old.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:That reminds me of when my son was younger, and they had him watch Tora! Tora! Tora! for school. He is honestly only mildly interested, even as Pearl Harbor is being bombed, until I causally mention that this had been filmed in 1970, and there were no computer effects then. It changes kids opinions, sometimes, when they know how something is done.

In the case of the Sinbad movies, the live action and the creature affects were not put together with a computer. The live action was shot, and then projected frame-by-frame behind the stop-motion, with the artist careful adjusting each frame to make the creature(s) therein seem to react to the live action. In some cases, there is a cunning use of puppetry as well, so that the live actors have real "creature parts" to interact with.

Also, take a look at the credits some time. See just how many people are creating the modern effects you are seeing on a modern "monster flick" like Jurassic Park. Then go back and look at the credits on One Million BC. When your son realizes that these creature effects are the result of mostly one man's efforts, he may be more impressed.

(Also, frankly, these scenes are a lot better in context of the film than just shown in bits and pieces on YouTube.)
Talking only to special effects, I used to like these movies as a kid a lot, and I suspect that having nothing else plays an important role in that. Crappy effects remain crappy effects, with all due respect to those that singlehandedly put countless hours of their time to accomplish them with limited means. I used to film starwars remakes with my friend's 8 mm camera and our action figures as a kid, it took us days to get, like, 1 minute of film at most. A good tap on the shoulder for the effort; is it worth showing in a theatre for a public audience? I don't think so. Likewise, although the old movies were nice efforts for their time, the effects are poor.

Now some might still be worthwhile to watch considering the story or mood of the movie. That's another question, of course.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

A matter of opinion, of course, but if your 8 mm efforts rivalled those of Mr. Harryhausen, then maybe they should be shown in theatres. I continue to find these films perfectly enjoyable. Part of that is, of course, that I understand the art behind it to some degree.

I guess, by way of analogy, that while Van Gough is not photo-realistic, that doesn't render his paintings valueless. I have seen many well-executed realistic paintings, on the other hand, which are devoid of emotional impact and "voice". Likewise, the impact and "voice" of Mr. Harryhausen's work remains as vital, to me, as it ever was, whereas some technically great computer work I have seen simply lacks the same punch.

A matter of perspective, I suppose.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skyscraper wrote:...although the old movies were nice efforts for their time, the effects are poor...
I would argue that it's the imaginations that are poor (or not) of the viewers, if they let cutting edge craft of any Age get in the way of a good experience. If we're talking Harryhausen, those skeletons rising from the ground will always work for me, because I want to believe (cue X-Files theme). I could look at them and say, "oh look, the color timing and the shadows are off, they couldn't possibly exist in the same space as the flesh and blood people." Or I can say, "geez! they've got to fight skeletons! With swords! And they're outnumbered!" and roll along with the movie's intent.

On a stage, you can't have life-size buildings blowing up (can't much have life-size buildings at all), but you can still tell a war story or a monster story or whatever story... It takes work from the audience to make any story succeed. Give me any movie you are insanely impressed by, and I'm sure there are holes to be punched in it, waiting to be pointed out. Or they already have been pointed out by someone. But you still love that movie and can overlook the flaws and not have them tarnish your love of it. I could get more and more philosophical, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from here...

And yes, there are movies out there with poor effects, but poor stagecraft is just a fact in any day and age. I can't include any Harryhausen stuff that I know in that category.

Also, even without seeing them, I'm pretty sure your Star Wars toy remakes are better than the remastered versions.

Return to “DCC RPG General”