How has you attitude toward DCCRPG changed since June 7?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

How has you attitude toward DCCRPG changed since June 7?

Post by jmucchiello »

I have to say I am impressed. Many of my concerns have fallen by the wayside. There are still some rough edges and things I'll never get one of my friends to accept. But I think the "action die" concept is astondingly cunning in its simplicity. Don't give the warrior +2 to hit, give him an extra d3. The possibility to use this concept in other classes is just overwhelming. And all it took was a simple progression by level of d3/d4/d5/d6/d7 etc. Phenomenal!

It should be the premiere feature of DCCRPG like the Siege engine in C&C. It's already used for warrior's deeds. It should be integrated into the wizard as well. He should roll d20 + d3 at first level to determine spell effects (this means moving all first level spells to 1-12, lost failure instead of 1-11). It should be integrated into the thief abilities (rather than those garish percentile dice). I'm sure cleric turning would benefit from it.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: How has you attitude toward DCCRPG changed since June 7?

Post by smathis »

I agree on all points, jmuchiello. Most of my concerns were completely eliminated after reading the Beta rules. There are a couple of enhancements I've suggested. But other than those, I only have a couple of really, really minor concerns.

DCC looks great.

Now it's time to bring out my funky dice and see how it plays.
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

jmucchiello wrote:It should be the premiere feature of DCCRPG like the Siege engine in C&C. It's already used for warrior's deeds. It should be integrated into the wizard as well. He should roll d20 + d3 at first level to determine spell effects (this means moving all first level spells to 1-12, lost failure instead of 1-11). It should be integrated into the thief abilities (rather than those garish percentile dice). I'm sure cleric turning would benefit from it.
This ++

They are a great addition and should be featured, not because they a novel, but because they are a great innovation, in most everything in the system. :)
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

jmucchiello wrote:I have to say I am impressed. Many of my concerns have fallen by the wayside. There are still some rough edges and things I'll never get one of my friends to accept.
Oh yeah, many of my concerns have abated, particularly my concern that this game would be Dungeon Charts Consulting. The number of charts isn't as bad as I had feared. I have picked up a few other concerns, but I need to go read everything more closely before I get too worried.
But I think the "action die" concept is astondingly cunning in its simplicity. Don't give the warrior +2 to hit, give him an extra d3. The possibility to use this concept in other classes is just overwhelming. And all it took was a simple progression by level of d3/d4/d5/d6/d7 etc. Phenomenal!
I liked the MDoA action die from the first time that I read about it here, and now that I've seen the beta I am completely in love with it. I also would have loved it if it had been used for other classes' specialities as well. It's just a cool mechanic (currently under-utilized, in my opinion).
It should be the premiere feature of DCCRPG like the Siege engine in C&C. It's already used for warrior's deeds. It should be integrated into the wizard as well. He should roll d20 + d3 at first level to determine spell effects (this means moving all first level spells to 1-12, lost failure instead of 1-11). It should be integrated into the thief abilities (rather than those garish percentile dice). I'm sure cleric turning would benefit from it.
+3
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

To be honest I heard it was coming out and thought "huh,another rpg" and never thought about it again till last night. I do love the entire Dungeon Crawl series but another RPG is not what I need.

Then last night I saw that it could be downloaded and started it up on my dial up then went to bed.

This morning I was greeted by a fully downloaded copy and started to read through it with my coffee. I REALLY liked what I saw despite not wanting to get involved with yet another rpg. After about 30 minutes i printed it out with some character sheets and now im about to go lay back in the bed and read the entire thing.

So far I really love it though the whole strange dice thing is a pain in the arse. Also I can't seem to find the leveling up rules and exp tables but I could be just missing them in my skimming.

So far I would say I am cautiously impressed.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

jmucchiello wrote:I have to say I am impressed. Many of my concerns have fallen by the wayside.
Good to hear. It's always tough to discuss a game when only a few have seen it, and it's possible that some concerns got blown out of proportion without anyone "in charge" able to completely defend the GG position. I think that Joseph has done a pretty nice job of explaining overall, however, considering how many things were changing and evolving along the way. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”