Porting Spellcasting to, say, Pathfinder?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Porting Spellcasting to, say, Pathfinder?

Post by fireinthedust »

What if I wanted to use the "true Vancian" style spellcasting of DCCrpg with my Pathfinder mages? I run an E6 game, and I like the idea of what's been presented here. In terms of designing encounters, I'm wondering about how embedded the system will be in differences.

Likely not too hard, all told, as they're both d20-based. Maybe?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Porting Spellcasting to, say, Pathfinder?

Post by smathis »

fireinthedust wrote:Likely not too hard, all told, as they're both d20-based. Maybe?
Maybe. Spellcasting would be more swingy but from eyeballing what we've been able to eyeball on the forums, I think it's doable.

There's more info on this thread.

I might up the hit die of spellcasters in Pathfinder. To make up for the hit-and-miss spellcasting in DCC. But in terms of potential mojo, it shouldn't be too far off.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Weird. Double-post. My bad.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Well, playing E6, you only have to convert cantrips to 3rd level spells so your task is already cut down to 1/3 of the spell list. Since you know what spells your players tend to memorize, just start converting those spells and some outlying spells rather than doing them all. You probably would tie spellcasting off of Spellcraft so you might need to adjust the power level a bit higher than we've seen. For Magic Missile, the boring 1 missile at 1d4+1 damage level should be 11-15 or so since 1st level spellcraft check can easily range from +3 to +8.

Return to “DCC RPG General”