Attack Rolls for Spells

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Attack Rolls for Spells

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Apart from magic missile, do you normally require attack rolls for spells?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Attack Rolls for Spells

Post by GnomeBoy »

:?: You require an attack roll for magic missile? Holmes' Basic D&D is the only game I'm familiar with that requires that...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote::?: You require an attack roll for magic missile? Holmes' Basic D&D is the only game I'm familiar with that requires that...
Re-read. Apart from magic missile.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, okay. But I parsed that "apart" as "obviously mm has one" or similar, not "of course it doesn't". Either could be indicated by removing mm from the table; i just grabbed the wrong one. :wink:

I think the only spells I've had come up that require an attack roll are like chill touch where the spell modifies a subsequent attack. I think.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:Well, okay. But I parsed that "apart" as "obviously mm has one" or similar, not "of course it doesn't". Either could be indicated by removing mm from the table; i just grabbed the wrong one. :wink:

I think the only spells I've had come up that require an attack roll are like chill touch where the spell modifies a subsequent attack. I think.
That's the way I've been running the game. I was wondering about others.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Anyone? Bueller?
SoBH pbp:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I usually require an attack roll for anything that feels like a ray or projectile oriented spell. barring of course the homing spells like magic missile. On that not, I believe D&D4e had an auto-hit version of the spell that pinged for 1hp or the attack-roll-to-hit type for 1d4. Does anyone else remember this?

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

only if they involve actual physical action by the caster. like chill touch.

Return to “DCC RPG General”