Dragora's Dungeon: Help me bring the Zain-Kin to life!

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dragora's Dungeon: Help me bring the Zain-Kin to life!

Post by Booberry »

I tried to post this in the 4e subforum, but I was denied access for some reason...

We're starting Dragora's Dungeon tomorrow, souped up for 4th level (this seems to be a very easy module to scale up, btw). I think that this module will sink or swim based on how well I can bring the Zain-Kin to life. I want them to really seem like three different branches of a degenerate culture, and I'm worried my players won't see them as such. Apart from the obvious bits, like their equipment and the overall posture with which they greet the PCs, what are some good ways to further separate these groups in my player's eyes?

I doubt they'll even make it to the Forgotten City tomorrow as I'm planning a lot of character interaction for the set up as well as some interesting encounters for the journey there. I just want to get the wheels spinning, as I see this as possibly the most important aspect of running this module.

-I'm thinking of making House Tyrax physically smaller than the other to groups, but what else? How to get the players curious about their "heresy"?
-House Vedrius is pretty easy, with their martial culture.
-House Zamosh, I think, will have a slightly easier-to-understand dialect, and will probably carry themselves with more poise than the other groups. Dr. Zaius, anyone?

I need more.
Suggestions?

EDIT: fixed spelling
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Dragora's Dungeon: Help me bring the Zain-Kin to life!

Post by GnomeBoy »

I don't own this mod yet... but you've got something there with the Dr. Zaius reference...

Maybe making each have a different coloration (not necesarily the green/orange/black-purple of the Apes movies; though 'obvious' ain't always 'bad'). Maybe silverbacks for one branch... and, um, so on...?

"What do you think, Sirs?"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I fixed the permissions - moving this to the 4E forum as it should now be corrected.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Happy Gnome
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Happy Gnome »

Ah, excellent. I'm in the same boat, with the character generation session happening Tuesday, and the first session probably next week. I hope more people find this forum and kick in ideas.

This doesn't much help with Zai-Kin motivation, but it adds texture that somebody might build off...

The Zai-Kin struck me as being Morlock-ish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock), and I'm thinking I may push it that way. So, the light from the artificial sun is dim at best, making the whole city setting pretty dark. The Zai-Kin are extremely light sensitive, and so not be able to take up residence on the surface. They have enormous pupils, and when on the surface wear a gauzy vizor during the day. Dragora may be promising to blot out the sun (!) with the arcana she uncovers (assuming she reveals her agenda). I figure these tweaks suggest ravenous envy for the surface dwellers. Also, they're so strapped for food that they consider the PCs a precious, delicious meal compared to the swamp meat they endure. Not terribly original, but with that arc, at least, if things go badly for the PCs it leaves me the escape option of a quarrel breaking out between the tribes over which has the best claim to the meat.

It's a bit orcish, too. What do you think? Maybe somebody can give it a more original spin?

At some point this week I have to do some thinking about faction motivation. I'll kick in whatever notes are worth sharing. I'm still reading the new rule books. Ugh.

Happy gaming!
Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Booberry »

Hm. Interesting ideas, and both from fellow Gnome enthusiasts to boot!

We started Dragora's Dungeon yesterday, to great success. There was a lot of roleplaying in the events leading up to the Zai-Kin's entrance, and the cross country journey to the Rift was a lot of fun. I included a bit nicked from the excellent GM Gems book in which the party's campsite (near a giant stone head) got up and walked away in the middle of the night! This left the party freaked out and unsheltered in a rain storm, and I called for CON checks (which the Rogue failed). Now the party's Rogue has a cold, (hopefully he doesn't fall into a sneezing fit while trying to be stealthy :twisted: ) I know that probably comes off as a bit silly, but honestly I find little elements like this add a lot to my player's enjoyment of the game. Great fun was had, and the session ended with the party repelling into the Rift... Adventure awaits!.

Anyway, I had an additional idea about the Zain-Kin. I'm thinking that, rather than being descended from the servant race of the wizards of Pharhok, the Zain-Kin may actually be the degenerate descendants of the wizards themselves. I think it makes the module even more Conan-like. House Zamosh is actually rediscovering it's sorcerous roots.

Anyway, jut wanted to mention it. I'm really enjoying the open feel of the module. To me, it seems far more old school that even the DCCs!

Keep'em coming, Harley! Hopefully we'll see enough of the Master Dungeons to cover a wide spread of levels. I find them to be a perfect counterpoint to my sandbox DMing style.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Booberry wrote:Anyway, I had an additional idea about the Zain-Kin. I'm thinking that, rather than being descended from the servant race of the wizards of Pharhok, the Zain-Kin may actually be the degenerate descendants of the wizards themselves. I think it makes the module even more Conan-like. House Zamosh is actually rediscovering it's sorcerous roots.
Boo, you're killing me. That's brilliant! (And much more in the Howardian-vein I was aiming for.)

I hope you'll let us know how the adventure goes down. Watch out for the swamp. After a conversation with the Chatty DM, I fear it might be - erm - overpopulated. :roll:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Happy Gnome
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Happy Gnome »

Booberry wrote: the party's campsite (near a giant stone head) got up and walked away in the middle of the night!
Hah! Great reversal. And a fantasy scale mind hump.
Booberry wrote: Anyway, I had an additional idea about the Zain-Kin. I'm thinking that, rather than being descended from the servant race of the wizards of Pharhok, the Zain-Kin may actually be the degenerate descendants of the wizards themselves. I think it makes the module even more Conan-like. House Zamosh is actually rediscovering it's sorcerous roots.
I've embraced the ape vibe. It's pretty unusual for my group, which is a fat plus. Also, apes are disconcerting.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fQE1zqgdiD0

Happy Gnome
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Happy Gnome »

Just struck me that the Planet of the Apes might be a good source for ape-ish ideas ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkPlY7m5iA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQz8dDtAZGI

"Forbidden Zone" = outside world?

Return to “4E Products”