Monster Layout

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Monster Layout

Post by EvilCat »

While flipping through "Big Bugs", I got idea of alternative monster layout. I don't know if it has been done before, but here it is (it's a newt from "Monster Geographica" aquatic monsterbook):
(License stuff: statistics are Open Content under OGL, the picture is Closed Content. Original source: "Monster Geographica: Marsh & Aquatic" by Expeditious Retreat Press.)

Update: latest version:
Bulette by ~Katemare on deviant ART
Last edited by EvilCat on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Monster Layout

Post by EvilCat »

Update:
Second try - a bloodseeker from "Necromantic Lore".
Third try - SRD's bulette.
(And a pair of comic strips on bulette's feats and leaps. Just couldn't help but wonder...)

To this point, bulette got mostly positive opinions: EN World, Roleplayers LJ-community.

So, why is it a suggestion and not a submission... I am just one person, not very good artist, with lots of time-consuming hobbies :\ it took five days to make the bulette, 3-4 hours per day or so. I will probably make a dozen such monsters as a free supplement, just to popularize the idea. But I would like to see this layout more (I wouldn't do something I didn't like) - for 4E, 3.5 or other system, not important. So, I'll just throw a suggestion %)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Graphically, this is neat. Although from a publication perspective, it may mean less monsters in a book, and the less-standardized format makes it harder to flip to a creature and immediately start playing it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

It is a bit harder to immediately find the information you're looking for, but I really really like them anyway.

The little "doodle" with the stick figure on the bulette page just kills me.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by EvilCat »

I was my mistake, I think, not to edit the original message to show current progress. Well, live and learn. (Fixed.)

I will return when/if the free supplement with 12 of such monsters will demonstrate some measure of success %)

Return to “Suggestion Box”