DCC Fiction?

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

DCC Fiction?

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I don't know if this has been brought up before but has Goodman Games considered a line of fiction novels based in Aereth? Maybe some continuing heroic adventures or a collection of short stories all done in the Appendix N style. Just a thought that sounded cool to me...
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: DCC Fiction?

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I have already discussed it with Joseph and I would love to publish a line of Appendix N Adventures novels in support if DCC RPG. I just need folks to write them. :)
John Adams
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:I have already discussed it with Joseph and I would love to publish a line of Appendix N Adventures novels in support if DCC RPG. I just need folks to write them. :)
Great news! Thanks for the reply.
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

I've been developing my own Appendix N style setting and stories. Got a nice outline for an interesting story and kernels for about a half dozen more. Had to scrap the setting background due to someone else coming up with an idea very close to my own. But it as bad as it sounds, the stories remain the same, just the stuff in the background will be changed. My main problem is that while I have dozens of ideas for stories, my writing skill isn't the greatest, but i keep plugging onward.

Svaragog
modemaus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by modemaus »

Interesting thread. The DCC RPG core book is pretty scarce in detail about the setting, so there is much to think about in terms of the effects of literature on the game. Something like this could quickly turn into a bunch of cowboy authors coming up with settings details that the community grows attached to, and begins to demand have added to the already humongous (awesomely humongous) core book, or worse yet, as extensions to the core, which I believe I've read Goodman is trying not to do.

Nonetheless, I think the Appendix N moxy and open-ended setting of Aereth could lead to some majorly exciting stories, as the author isn't constrained to having to access a WotC library of data to make sure his one page is accurate and his home won't be burned to the ground by players outraged that an Orc is pink in the story.

It would be interesting to see people turn preexisting modules into a collection of short stories, too.

Return to “Suggestion Box”