Strategy board game as an extension of a D&D campaign

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Strategy board game as an extension of a D&D campaign

Post by fathead »

My wife is a huge fan of strategy games (such as Settlers of Catan), and I've considered incorporating that into my weekly D&D games. I would like to see a board game that was an extension of the D&D campaign. Perhaps the characters are nobility, are part of an organization (army, thieves guild, wizards conclave, etc), or are part of a woodland clan (you get the idea).

After the weekly session (this could take place every week or once a month, depending on the length of the board game and time available), the group would assemble to play the strategy board game (which would incorporate politics, maneuvering in society, alliances, enemies, trade, etc). The GM could play a role opposing the players. At the end of the game (there would have to be stopping point of some sort), the GM would tally items and make notes that could be incorporated into the weekly game. Perhaps one of the players made a useful alliance that comes into play...perhaps his family gained more credibility at the royal court...perhaps his character earned a reputation within the thieves guild and will be considered for a promotion within the organization...

In any case, this is just an idea in the conception phase, but I thought that it would make an interesting board game.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LVSUBARU »

I think that would be cool!!!
It wouldn't be to hard to put together with the D20 rules.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

LVSUBARU wrote:I think that would be cool!!!
It wouldn't be to hard to put together with the D20 rules.
Thanks. My original inclination was to set it to a campaign in which the characters had some sort of lineage to work with (some nobility or birthright).

I like the idea of being able to apply it to other organizations to which the character belongs though.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Strategic D&D Character Tree:

This might be totally unmanageable but one idea might be to allow each Player to have “Regent” character, and pool of three other lesser characters. The Regent chooses which of the three to send on missions during the regular gaming session (“This mission can only be entrusted to my strongest/quickest/wisest knight/rogue/wizard!”), but then plays the Regent during the strategic monthly games. The lesser character would gain exp for his/her individual missions, but all three would benefit (exp/resources) from gains made in strategic play.

Not every “Regent” has to be a king. If you build a city-state right there can be multiple power centers: Mercenary Companies, Thieves’ Guilds, Merchant Princes, Priesthoods, old Nobility, as well as the King. In fact, confronted by all of the above, the role of King might be a hard position to fill. (They have smaller ends, but he has to juggle the whole basket of eggs.)

Anyhow, I love your idea. Let us know how it plays out.

I think the Darksun used character trees to good benefit.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “Suggestion Box”