Calculation of ADPs in Updated PDF

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

MattyHelms
Gongfarmer

Calculation of ADPs in Updated PDF

Post by MattyHelms »

Hey, Dan:

I purchased and downloaded the updated PDF this morning and am impressed so far. There are a few confusing bits, which may or may not be due to the updates:

On page 14, should Gegdin's Evade be 4 instead of 8? Reflexes is listed twice.

The formulas given for calculating several of the DPs on pages 32 and 33 don't match the rest of the book:
- Evade is listed as taking any Unarmed Combat specialty (which I prefer); the rest of the book and the sheet suggest pugilism only
- Dodge is list as Speed only, not Speed + Reflexes
- Resilience is given as Resistance + Willpower instead of Resistance x2 + Willpower

The Character Sheet which comes as an extra download with the core book is the old one referencing Agility. The Quick Start is still built around using Agility as well.

Thanks!
Matt
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Calculation of ADPs in Updated PDF

Post by dancross »

Hi there! Boy, your name looks familar to me. Did you contribute to the Lejendary Adventure game at one time? Anyway...

I'm so glad you like what you see so far!

I don't have my PDF with me, so I'll double check everything tonight. If Gegdin's Reflexes is listed twice, it must have been a case of search & replace gone awry.

The truth about the Defense Pools is that there are many ways to calculate them to slightly different effect. I think this fact is what lead to some of the issues you see. For example, I do recommend allowing a player to add the MV of some Unarmed Combat specialties, if you agree to it as the GM, and it makes sense for the genre of the fantasy story. Pugilism is one such example. I'd like to see an article on expanding the specializations of Unarmed into a more robust system.

Dodge should be Speed and Reflexes together.

As for Resilience, that's another one where I'd actually like to see a spectrum of calculations to reflect the danger level of the campaign. For my campaign, I'd probably use Resistance + Willpower instead of Resistance x2 + Willpower. The average campaign had the PCs pretty darned tough, and the default calcuation is used. I need to include this into a sidebar int the main text, but I'll certainly include it in the updated FAQ.

My intention is to update and release a new FAQ soon.

Also, we're working on a new free adventure...TBA.

Lastly, with Agility, just collapse it into Reflexes. The Quickstart was not updated to reflect that change. It was changed in response to posts here on these forums that the ability wasn't needed in addition to Reflexes. I probably failed to purge it from the character sheet because I wasn't 100% convinced :lol:

One cool thing about Eldritch is you can mess around with the abilities and how to calculate the DPs quite a bit without "breaking" anything. We've got a work in progress that messes around with the skills and some rules to create a different "feel" than the default "tough as hell" epic fantasy (something other than Ainereve, which is still in the pipeline). Stay tuned on that.

-dan

MattyHelms wrote:Hey, Dan:

I purchased and downloaded the updated PDF this morning and am impressed so far. There are a few confusing bits, which may or may not be due to the updates:

On page 14, should Gegdin's Evade be 4 instead of 8? Reflexes is listed twice.

The formulas given for calculating several of the DPs on pages 32 and 33 don't match the rest of the book:
- Evade is listed as taking any Unarmed Combat specialty (which I prefer); the rest of the book and the sheet suggest pugilism only
- Dodge is list as Speed only, not Speed + Reflexes
- Resilience is given as Resistance + Willpower instead of Resistance x2 + Willpower

The Character Sheet which comes as an extra download with the core book is the old one referencing Agility. The Quick Start is still built around using Agility as well.

Thanks!
Matt
MattyHelms
Gongfarmer

Post by MattyHelms »

Yup, that's me. Your work with LA was what made me curious about Eldritch.

Your answers jive with what I figured the intent of the system is; the editor in me can't help but notices these things. Eldritch nicely allows for free-form play while still providing a solid framework for high adventure.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

MattyHelms wrote:Yup, that's me. Your work with LA was what made me curious about Eldritch.

Your answers jive with what I figured the intent of the system is; the editor in me can't help but notices these things. Eldritch nicely allows for free-form play while still providing a solid framework for high adventure.
Hi there Matt! Please post here with your play experiences, once you get going! I love to get feedback as it helps the game evolve. The other posters here can tell you I listen carefully to all suggestions, and I'm always looking for short, supplemental article "donations" (this is not the same as submitting material directly to Goodman, btw, unless we're talking about print, so my guidelines for Eldritch articles are more personalized. Just contact me).
Jackal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jackal »

Wow, did my search skills fail me. I actually posted this very same question a day or two ago when I couldn't find any reference to it via a forum search. Ah well, I've removed the post and will continue from here. :)

First off, the updated version of Eldritch looks much better Dan, congratulations! I see you liked my idea regarding movement well enough to adopt it. I'm glad the max movement per phase was removed, it makes combat much easier.

So then, by default, the calculations for DPs should be:

Weaponry- basic melee MV + specializations + masteries

Evade- MV of reflex tree + pugilism + optional MV of unarmed combat specializations/masteries

Dodge- MV of speed tree + MV of reflex tree (or should this be MV of reflex basic only?)

Deflect- basic melee MV + shield

Toughness- MV of basic endurance x2 + MV of basic resistance + brawling

Resilience- MV of basic resistance x2 + MV of basic willpower

Do I have all those right?

Also, what's the status of the updated FAQ? I've noticed several errors and/or bits of information that aren't quite clear. If you're willing to answer the questions I come up with, I'll be happy to compile and format an updated FAQ for the community at large. :)
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Jackal wrote:
First off, the updated version of Eldritch looks much better Dan, congratulations! I see you liked my idea regarding movement well enough to adopt it. I'm glad the max movement per phase was removed, it makes combat much easier.

So then, by default, the calculations for DPs should be:

Weaponry- basic melee MV + specializations + masteries

Evade- MV of reflex tree + pugilism + optional MV of unarmed combat specializations/masteries

Dodge- MV of speed tree + MV of reflex tree (or should this be MV of reflex basic only?)
Deflect- basic melee MV + shield

Toughness- MV of basic endurance x2 + MV of basic resistance + brawling

Resilience- MV of basic resistance x2 + MV of basic willpower

[\endquote]

Looks right. For dodge, make it the tree MV. Hey, contact me if you will at Dan @ dan cross.com. We can talk about the rules updates.

Do I have all those right?

Also, what's the status of the updated FAQ? I've noticed several errors and/or bits of information that aren't quite clear. If you're willing to answer the questions I come up with, I'll be happy to compile and format an updated FAQ for the community at large. :)
Jackal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jackal »

Thanks for the help Dan. I'll be sending an e-mail your way shortly. :)

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”