Just a few questions

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Mangus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Just a few questions

Post by Mangus »

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I have been a long time supporter of Goodman Games and the products. I have been keeping a close eye on Eldritch, and I have to say I am pretty excited. With all the 4th edition D&D hype of late I have been getting a bit burned out on the whole scene. I am ready for a new system, and Eldritch just might be the game I am looking for. Anyway, I just had a few quick questions. Here they are:

1 - I am curious what format the books will be released in? I am assuming a PDF will be available, but will the physical book be hardback or soft cover?

2 - What are the future plans as far as supporting materials? Modules seem like a no brainer. Will Goodman be releasing an official setting? What about conversion books for some of the d20 settings like DragonMech?

3 - I realize the focus right now is getting the core rule book out the door and into our grubby hands, but as a selfish gamer I am always looking ahead to the next product I can buy. :P Will there be a game master shield coming? Is there a rough release schedule you might be able to share with us?

Thanks,

Mangus
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Just a few questions

Post by dancross »

Mangus wrote:Hello all,

Hello!
1 - I am curious what format the books will be released in? I am assuming a PDF will be available, but will the physical book be hardback or soft cover?
I believe it's going to be a 96 page softcover.
2 - What are the future plans as far as supporting materials? Modules seem like a no brainer. Will Goodman be releasing an official setting? What about conversion books for some of the d20 settings like DragonMech?
There is an official setting in the works, and assuming all goes as planned, I'm sure Goodman will give supporting material the green light. I can say that Eldritch is not designed to be multi-genre from the "ground-up". It would take a good bit of playtest and tweaking for me to safely say it's "ready" for multi-genre application.
3 - I realize the focus right now is getting the core rule book out the door and into our grubby hands, but as a selfish gamer I am always looking ahead to the next product I can buy. :P Will there be a game master shield coming? Is there a rough release schedule you might be able to share with us?
I'll have an easier time answering that once the core book hits the shelves and we've had some time to see how it's received. I believe it will do well...heck, the cover is pretty, so nobody will miss it. LOL I'd love to see a master shield, though the rules are light enough it wouldn't be more than two panels. ;-)

The only release schedule I have at present time is for the first book. That ought to be coming along really soon...
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Banesfinger »

dancross wrote:There is an official setting in the works...
Can you give us a short (one paragraph) flavour spoiler on the official setting? :D
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Banesfinger wrote:
dancross wrote:There is an official setting in the works...
Can you give us a short (one paragraph) flavour spoiler on the official setting? :D
Ainerêve is a dream world, a place both above and within the Earth that we all know so well. Inhabitants come to Ainerêve from two places: dreams and beliefs, and Earth. There are two types of places in Ainerêve, Settled lands and Unsettled lands. Settled lands are places that have become more "real", where sentient beings have settled with strong belief systems or a unifying mythology. Unsettled lands are chaotic, like places of dream and shifting landscapes. The campaign book involves three settled realms bound together: the Forest of Meath, a place defined by the Celtic mythology and its eventual transformation into Celtic Christianity; Piusarmorum, defined by Christianity during the time of the Crusades and peopled by a lost company of Templar Knights; and Maedoen, a kingdom founded on the Celtic/Welsh that preceded Roman occupation.
Dustin R
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dustin R »

That sounds pretty damn cool!!!
Mangus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mangus »

Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Things are shaping up very nicely, and I am already sold on the game. I am crossing my fingers on good sales, so we can see Eldritch flourish past a one-shot rulebook.

The setting sounds very cool as well. It almost has a Lord Dunsany / Clark Ashton Smith quality to the description. I have always been drawn to the idea of the realms of dream and myth colliding with the real world. I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with.

Thanks again,

Mangus
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Mangus wrote:Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Things are shaping up very nicely, and I am already sold on the game. I am crossing my fingers on good sales, so we can see Eldritch flourish past a one-shot rulebook.

The setting sounds very cool as well. It almost has a Lord Dunsany / Clark Ashton Smith quality to the description. I have always been drawn to the idea of the realms of dream and myth colliding with the real world. I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with.

Thanks again,

Mangus
I am very pleased by the interest here. I did a good bit of research on how to present the campaign setting, and I think I'll share that format here, w-a-a-a-y in advance (this synopsis of the format is in the words of Peter Schaefer (who was the principle writer for the setting). Also, I'll probably use a similar format in presenting locales in adventures...

PLACE NAME – This is the name of whatever place currently being described. It is often accompanied by a map. Kinda obvious, that one. ;-)

Description: Here, obviously enough, is a description of the place. It is reasonably (but not disgustingly) thorough and includes a measure of the location’s history. Enough to tell you what you need to know without putting you to sleep, hopefully.

Regional Pantheon: What gods or similar entities are worshipped in the place, openly or not, and what such creatures exert their influence over the area, recognized and worshipped or not. Some places have no “regional pantheon” entry, indicating that they default to a larger location.

Population: This is a short entry. It describes the local population density as sparse, moderate, or heavy and includes a short description of why or how that is.

Economy: Here is where you learn about the location’s economic survival. What it buys, what it produces and sells, what it needs more or less of. That sort of thing. Many places have specific or unique economies based on whatever qualities makes them stand out (and be worth describing in a list of interesting locations).

Important Entities

Whether a gamemaster-controlled character or a well-known monster, they will be described and given statistics here if they’re important to the region. Only the most influential or mighty creatures deserve definition on the grand scale of a nation, so most end up within a specific location. Also in the individual character descriptions will be some rough directions for rivalries, alliances, and how else they might play out in a game.

Local Authorities: Who lays down the law? Well, this is where you go to find out.

Noteworthy Landmarks: This tells you what all pilgrims, travelers, locals, or sightseers recognize about the place, what’s famous or infamous, and what isn’t well-known, but still maybe important. Great pyramids and great whorehouses both fall under this category.

Relics and Treasures: Famous bits of loot or powerful artifacts that can be found in the region. Anything important enough to draw a petty thief’s eye but be too well-guarded for him to steal falls under this category, as do other interesting prizes.

Vendors and Dealers: Every good adventurer needs someone who can turn the treasures she “finds” into lovely, lovely cash. These are the good ones (and sometimes the bad’uns, too). These can also serve as “fixers” for some mission-style games.

Guilds and Training: Not every place is large enough for organizations to take over, but when they are, this is where you find them. Thieves’ guilds, mage’s guilds, churches, and the like. Also, when a character wants to find a teacher for some skill or the other, guilds and individual teachers or independent schools listed in this section fill that need.

Regional Monsters: Here you find a description of the sort of thing your heroes can find to fight in any given place, along with sample statistics.

Adventure Hooks: This is just about the most important entry in the whole list. Sure, you need to know what a region looks like and how its inhabitants act, but what you really need are some good ideas for your games. Let’s just hope these are good ideas.
Mangus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mangus »

Dan,

Sounds like more great stuff. Do you think we will see the quick-play rules before the end of the month?

Mangus

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”