what is Dungeoneer?

Dungeoneer the RPG is fast paced and easy to learn, and yet is packed with depth and tactical game play. You can set up your game session in moments and enjoy playing for hours.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

what is Dungeoneer?

Post by Goblin »

what is Dungeoneer?

is it like Chinese Food where you eat and you're full and later you're hungry for more?

it's appealing to me cuz it looks fast, dirty, quick, and lots of fury.
Especially if i am DMing to casual gamers.

http://www.goodman-games.com/dungeoneer.php

need more info than... EDIT: oh it's based on the card game... i am going to check out the card game.
Thomas Denmark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thomas Denmark »

is it like Chinese Food where you eat and you're full and later you're hungry for more?
Good description!

Dungeoneer RPG is the Chinese Fast Food of role-playing games. :D

It is an RPG designed specifically for the hectic lives of gamers who want their quick dungeon-crawling fix without laboring for hours to create characters and adventures.

It is based on the Dungeoneer XCG (expandable card game), and is compatible enough that the cards could be used as props in the RPG.
Thomas Denmark
www.studiodenmark.com
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

So how come Goodman is doing the RPG, rather than Atlas (the publishers of the card game)? Atlas would be the obvious choice, also being a RPG publisher.

Also, in my experience, players like spending hours on making their characters. For DMs it can get old, though.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

trancejeremy wrote:So how come Goodman is doing the RPG, rather than Atlas (the publishers of the card game)? Atlas would be the obvious choice, also being a RPG publisher.
Cuz we're cool. Like Atlas. :)
trancejeremy wrote:Also, in my experience, players like spending hours on making their characters. For DMs it can get old, though.
We'll be starting some designer blogs soon that will address this very question, among others. Dungeoneer characters are just as deep as those in any other RPG -- yet the system is streamlined in a way that minimizes complexity.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Thomas Denmark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dungeoneer Character Creation

Post by Thomas Denmark »

trancejeremy wrote:So how come Goodman is doing the RPG, rather than Atlas (the publishers of the card game)? Atlas would be the obvious choice, also being a RPG publisher.

Also, in my experience, players like spending hours on making their characters. For DMs it can get old, though.
Atlas has their very successful lines of RPG's and didn't feel another RPG product fit their business plans. They are quite happy with the Dungeoneer card game and will continue to publish it for the foreseeable future.

It just happens that an RPG product like Dungeoneer fits nicely into Goodman Games' plans, and I like working with Joseph, so it was a natural fit.

This is a particular kind of RPG that hasn't been done before, there are plenty of RPG's out there that have endless levels of complexity for player's to spend detailing out their characters. That isn't Dungeoneer. The Dungeoneer RPG is a quick pick up game. It is fast, fun and rewarding.

I don't think we've skimped on the character creation design at all, it is quite tightly designed and took a considerable amount of time and effort to create. I think you'll find it deep enough for what the game is.
Thomas Denmark
www.studiodenmark.com
Meepo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Meepo »

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear more about this system as release gets closer. If it can accomplish its goals, I'm going to be one happy guy!
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I have a question about this game:

Will we be getting a conversion set for C&C or D&D3?

Why I ask this: I am in process of segueing into C&C from D&D3. One thing that helps is there are DCCs ready for me to play using C&C. I just got the Mysterious Tower for C&C! :D
So now I am wondering if there will be a line of DCCs for Dungeoneer. Or do I have to convert it all. And if I am going to convert it all over, will there be a guide or am I on my own. :?
Roll for initiative!!!
Thomas Denmark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thomas Denmark »

CharlieRock wrote:I have a question about this game:

Will we be getting a conversion set for C&C or D&D3?

Why I ask this: I am in process of segueing into C&C from D&D3. One thing that helps is there are DCCs ready for me to play using C&C. I just got the Mysterious Tower for C&C! :D
So now I am wondering if there will be a line of DCCs for Dungeoneer. Or do I have to convert it all. And if I am going to convert it all over, will there be a guide or am I on my own. :?
Because the Dungeoneer RPG is a very non-standard RPG it would be challenging for us to convert it. However I have little doubt many home-brewed conversion rules will appear online shortly after release.
Thomas Denmark
www.studiodenmark.com
warpweaver
Far-Sighted Wanderer

classic dungeoner crawling

Post by warpweaver »

while we make no promises at this point
keep in mind

goodman publishes dungeoneer adventures rpg
goodman publishes the dungeon crawl classics

you do the math ...
bye for now,
richard pocklington
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: classic dungeoner crawling

Post by Ogrepuppy »

warpweaver wrote:you do the math ...
Hunh. I'm starting to love your math....!
Banesfinger
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Banesfinger »

goodmangames wrote: Dungeoneer characters are just as deep as those in any other RPG -- yet the system is streamlined in a way that minimizes complexity.
Will the Dungeoneer RPG have the same stats as the card game (e.g., Combat, Magic, Movement)?
If so, will there be additonal stats, or sub-stats (to provide the depth you quoted above)?
warpweaver
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Attributes: Melee- Magic - Speed

Post by warpweaver »

DGA has only 3 attributes.
Melee
Magic
Speed

Die rolls are either threats or challenges.

In this way the basic rules of Dungeoneer Expandable Card Game are unchanged.

In the next designer diary (right now being approved by Goodman Games and Thomas Denmark) you will learn all you need to know about heroes attributes, backgrounds and aptitudes.

Onwards to Glory!
bye for now,
richard pocklington

Return to “Dungeoneer”