XCrawl Starter kit

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

XCrawl Starter kit

Post by fathead »

ynnen has been selling me on XCrawl, so now I find myself curious about the game. I'd like to read more into XCrawl. What XCrawl supplements would you recommend as a good starter? I'm intrigued about the dungeon crawl setting, so if there is a module with plenty of traps/puzzles/riddles/strategy, please recommend your favorite. Thanks in advance!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

XCrawl is definitely worth checking out... The main rulebook wraps up a lot of the flavor, and has a great adventure in the back, and the Sellout! supplement is one of the better game supplements for any RPG out there... if this were a WotC product, then Sellout! would definitely be considered one of the Core Books.

I know DungeonBattle Brooklyn will be coming out later this year, geared as an introduction to XCrawl, complete with pre-generated characters and lots of sidebars to help share the XCrawl world and flavor to readers...

Otherwise, it's hard to say which one of the existing crawls to recommend. Necroamerica is a rock-solid adventure that has a lot of unusual encounters and some great interior art -- that'd probably be the one I'd recommend checking out.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

...and just to make it even easier to get into Xcrawl, we'll be giving out free copies of Dungeonbattle Brooklyn on Free RPG Day! Coming June 23 to a game store near you. More details to be announced... but make sure to pester your local game store about participating. They can get full details from www.freeRPGday.com or their distributor of choice.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hey Joseph! Thanks for the post. As it turns out, there is a gaming store in Cincy that I can drop in on.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

fathead wrote:Hey Joseph! Thanks for the post. As it turns out, there is a gaming store in Cincy that I can drop in on.
Hey Dan,

Do you go to GenCon? If you are going this year come join the Xcrawl tournament, or hook up with us for one of the after games.

hope to see you,

Brendan
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

DJ LaBoss wrote:
Hey Dan,

Do you go to GenCon? If you are going this year come join the Xcrawl tournament, or hook up with us for one of the after games.

hope to see you,

Brendan
Our groups attendance at GenCon this year was in contention earlier, but we're definitely going now! I'll be there from Wednesday on, and everyone else will join me for Friday - Sun. I'll take a look at the XCrawl tournament times. If the scheduling seems right, we'll give it a shot. If not, we'll try to hook up with an XCrawl GM to give us a run through in exchange for payment in beer. :wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

fathead wrote:Our groups attendance at GenCon this year was in contention earlier, but we're definitely going now! I'll be there from Wednesday on, and everyone else will join me for Friday - Sun. I'll take a look at the XCrawl tournament times. If the scheduling seems right, we'll give it a shot. If not, we'll try to hook up with an XCrawl GM to give us a run through in exchange for payment in beer. :wink:
Just because of the event timing, the advancement rounds for the DCC tournament and Xcrawl tournament overlap. So, since it might actually matter for your team, I have to tell you now: you can only win one tournament! ;)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

goodmangames wrote:Just because of the event timing, the advancement rounds for the DCC tournament and Xcrawl tournament overlap. So, since it might actually matter for your team, I have to tell you now: you can only win one tournament! ;)
:laugh

Welll...we might give it a try anyway. If we get shoved out of one tournament early, maybe we can make a good run with the other. :)

At the very least, I'd like to get an introduction to XCrawl. Like I said, Jason Little has been chanting the mantra: "Clan Yeoman would like XCrawl. Clan Yeoman would like XCrawl".

It's inexplicable...I'm starting to think that Clan Yeoman would like XCrawl...I think Little may have jedi powers.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

excellent! my plan is working perfectly....

Clan Yeoman will like XCrawl
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”