Dungeon Interludes, stage one question (spoiler)

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dungeon Interludes, stage one question (spoiler)

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

Could an all-wizard group survive the first chapter of Dungeon Interludes?

I'm thinking of using this module as the framework for a Redhurst campaign, and at first level, all the characters would be wizards, although they could (and probably would want to) multiclass later on.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Haven't run it yet, but just looking it over, I'd say it's possible, but your players had better be pretty good. It would take some smart playing to get through without a rogue or a meat shie- I mean, warrior ;). NTM 1st level without magical healing can be ROUGH.

Try using the scaling info in the module; reduce the number of rats and knock a level or two off BW. Also, consider reducing the falling damage in Area 1-1. Hope this helps, good luck!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I'm going to say no. The first interlude is brutal man. The first rat encounter can even be tough, but the ooze is really a killer if your players aren't smart.

Blood Whisker is no push over either.

I really don't think they'd make it. Perhaps you could throw in some henchmen or npcs to help them?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'd have the badger in full health and ready to find its master.

I'd also have two or three farmers (1-lvl commoners) who live nearby want to help out.

A party of nothing but magic-users sounds great. They just need a little help until they can start casting fireballs and lightning bolts.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

I know nothing of the particular module, but I think a party of low level magic users could ok in most adventures (sleep is a super low level spell, great at getting rid of things like rats, kobolds etc.. IMHO undead would be the greatest threat to such a party, but if cautious they should be able to survive.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Hmmm... All mages. That would be interesting. I think they could make it, but they'd need to rest a LOT.

While there are a lot of critters (like the first rat encounter) the damage output could be enough.

If you had a dwarf wizarad with a high Con or some other atypical wizards, I think they could manage. But all it would take is one critical hit and that'd probably take a normal elf or human wizard down.

At that level, burning hands cast from 3-4 mages could wreak havoc on the low hit point creatures, but it'd be tough.

I think the best suggestion would be providing them with an NPC farmer "guide" who wants to get to the bottom of the mystery. Or, if you really want to go all-wizard, bumping them all to 2nd level could do the trick all by itself. Either to start with, or by running a small adventure right before the Eye of the Night chapter in Interludes.

I'd love to hear about your experience running Interludes. As the author of DCC #14, I always love hearing how different people approach using the module, and the campaigns it launches.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

ynnen wrote:Hmmm... All mages. That would be interesting. I think they could make it, but they'd need to rest a LOT.

While there are a lot of critters (like the first rat encounter) the damage output could be enough.

If you had a dwarf wizarad with a high Con or some other atypical wizards, I think they could manage. But all it would take is one critical hit and that'd probably take a normal elf or human wizard down.

At that level, burning hands cast from 3-4 mages could wreak havoc on the low hit point creatures, but it'd be tough.

I think the best suggestion would be providing them with an NPC farmer "guide" who wants to get to the bottom of the mystery. Or, if you really want to go all-wizard, bumping them all to 2nd level could do the trick all by itself. Either to start with, or by running a small adventure right before the Eye of the Night chapter in Interludes.

I'd love to hear about your experience running Interludes. As the author of DCC #14, I always love hearing how different people approach using the module, and the campaigns it launches.
I was re-reading "Eye of Night" last PM, and I think 4 wizards would have a tougher time of it than I originally thought. Healing would become an issue fast. Maybe leave a pouch of 10-12 Goodberries to be found in the commune before they enter the crawl. Even a couple HP healing each will make a big difference (especially if someone goes negative HP, and needs to be stabilized).

My current (tentative) plan is to base a C&C campaign around the DCCs. DCC14 would serve as the metaplot, with several of the regular modules sprinkled between to bring the party up to the appropriate level range before the next "interlude."

Originally the campaign was going to be in Mystara, but I'm really digging on what I'm hearing about DCC35, so now I'm up in the air on that part.
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

Hmm, Dungeon Magazine is going to have a Harry Potter-flavored adventure around Christmas this year. If that's a level 1 adventure, maybe I'll start with that and then start Dungeon Interludes after that.

I'll likely run it pbp, so I'll link it here when I do, so everyone can see how the wizard students do.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”