DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

BTW, Jeremy Simmons is the patron deity of cartographers. IMHO, DCCs would have never been DCCs without the blue maps that I love.
2) can you guys share a breakdown of what items will be in the boxed set?
As for contents in the boxed set:
  • -3 full-color wall maps;
    -1 incomplete players’ map;
    -the GM’s Guide to the Known World;
    -the Gazetteer (player safe information);
    -2 new Dungeon Crawl Classic adventures to get your game started right out of the box.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

There are a few monsters in the DCC modules that could easily be used as PC Races, but I, for one, am glad that you guys just left it standard. There really are no "standard" out of the PHB D&D worlds. Unless you count Greyhawk, which I don't like for reasons totally unrelated to the viability of the setting. (bad experience with a bad DM)....

It will be nice to see everything brought together under one title.

Here is a question. As new Dungeon Crawl Classics come out, will you have suggestions for locations of the adventures in DCC world or will you just leave it to the DM to place it where he likes?

Good call on the player's map and guide to the world. Those sort of things always make it so much easier on the DM.

Thanks
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Adventure placement:

The modules will continue to be very portable, even inside DCC World. According to the adventure, Ripper takes place in Porthmeor, but there is no reason it couldn't be ported to Arvale City or Freeport, or any one of the dozens of large cities scattered across the North.

For me it is a question of the type of game you want to run. These days I'm the sort of GM that will rip up entire continents as needed to make it work for my vision of the world and for the player's enjoyment. But back in the day, I adhered to the Greyhawk canon (mostly because it allowed a 12-year old Harley to sustain belief in the world).

Will the DCCs be placed? Yes (with the exceptions of some dungeons that might move. :twisted: ).

Do you have to follow our suggestions? Absolutely not.

The first and last rule: it is YOUR game. Never let anyone else tell you how to run it. :twisted:

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Jeremy Simmons is the patron deity of cartographers.
Jeremy Simmons (the Lord of Maps)

Lesser god, NG(e) — Cartography, Maps, Dungeons

Jeremy Simmons, the Lord of Maps, Topographic Rex, is the patron god of cartographers, mapmakers, navigators, explorers...and all adventures who delve into the earth with dreams of glory and wealth and invariably end up as yet another skeleton adorning the dungeon floor. He is the ultimate power of orientation, and those mortals who please him are sure to find their way. The Lord of Maps takes away the intuit direction of those who anger him.

Clerics of Topographic Rex often multiclass as cartographers or GMs. Though humans predominantly worship him, his clergy includes maze-dwelling minotaurs, trolls with spools of thread, Pac-Man, and anyone who creates a thick red line on the map when they travel overland.

The domains associated with the Lord of Maps are Cartography, Geography, and Physiographics. His favored weapon varies, but may include a pencil, ruler, or Photoshop. Jeremy's symbol is a glowing, dungeon portal. <-- click me!
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Harley Stroh wrote:BTW, Jeremy Simmons is the patron deity of cartographers. IMHO, DCCs would have never been DCCs without the blue maps that I love.
2) can you guys share a breakdown of what items will be in the boxed set?
As for contents in the boxed set:
  • -3 full-color wall maps;
    -1 incomplete players’ map;
    -the GM’s Guide to the Known World;
    -the Gazetteer (player safe information);
    -2 new Dungeon Crawl Classic adventures to get your game started right
    out of the box.
I can't explain how cool it is that you guys are clever enough to understand how important it is that a player's map of the setting be included and that it is incomplete! Bravo!
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

That's right, more questions:

1) do you address each of the core classes and how they fit into the setting? For example, any monk-ish orders or paladin clubs described?

2) can we get a glimpse of the table of contents for the gazetteer?

3) can you just tell me everthing now?

cheers,

-jason
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Inquisitive, aren't we, Jason? :)
1) do you address each of the core classes and how they fit into the setting? For example, any monk-ish orders or paladin clubs described?
We don't really tell anyone where classes belong, though a whole lot can be easily inferred from the descriptions of nations, etc. We do, however, present a number of organizations perfect for PCs with a wide range of class types most suitable for them.
2) can we get a glimpse of the table of contents for the gazetteer?
Not sure about that...
3) can you just tell me everthing now?
Everything now. :roll:
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

We don't really tell anyone where classes belong, though a whole lot can be easily inferred from the descriptions of nations, etc. We do, however, present a number of organizations perfect for PCs with a wide range of class types most suitable for them.
Yes, this is what I was trying to ask. I like campaigns that offer guilds, clubbs, etc. that characters can join. Some of these can even be developed into Prestige Classes.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jason.richardson wrote:Yes, this is what I was trying to ask. I like campaigns that offer guilds, clubs, etc. that characters can join. Some of these can even be developed into Prestige Classes.
Exactly. Don't know if you played in old Greyhawk, but there were 2 pages at the back of one book briefly listing knightly orders.

We went quite a bit further with detailed descriptions for knightly orders, assassin guilds, etc., any one of which could be built into a prestige class. We tried to detail both the good guys and the bad guys.

There is a large amount of space devoted to this, but it could have been even bigger. Maybe web expansions later on.

//H

toper
Far-Sighted Wanderer

WOOHOO! I've attained GODLY status!

Post by toper »

GOD STATUS!!!!

Hells bells Ma Kettle!

It took Acererak a lot more trouble and he STILL didn't do it. Ha HA! And who knows...will it be pencil & pen, Photoshop, Illustrator...or painting with my own blood? One must wait and see when the maps come out at last!

So, yea, and major props to Jeff for adding that little link to my website on his post...kewl kewl kewl.

As to locations of DCCs and other concerns, I'd backup Harley's statement about always remembering that once the box set is in your hands, it's YOUR friggin' world, do what you want, place things where you want, that's most of the fun anyway.

For instance, even though Harley, Mike and Jeff (and Joseph) don't know it, I've got DisneyWorld prominently placed in the north, and the WOTC headquarters is currently located in a desert wasteland... :twisted:

Ha. Just kidding. But I did drop in a few Starbucks locations, generously sprinkled across all the lands...

-J.
-Jeremy Simmons "TOPOGRAPHIC REX"

www.dungeonartist.com

www.fourtowersdesign.net

God Save the Penguins
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Hells bells ma kettle... now thats funny.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yes it is, minus logo and that sort of thing. That and I'm (obviously) not the only author.

Good catch. :)

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:Yes it is, minus logo and that sort of thing. That and I'm (obviously) not the only author. :)
What a kick-ass cover! Is it really gonna be $70?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Glad you like the proto-cover.

As for the cost, only the big man in Chicago can answer that.

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Thanks. Hopefully it won't be quite that much. I mean, I know it costs money to make a product and everybody involved has to be compensated, but I can't afford/justify spending that much.

I mean, I'd really like to check out Monte Cooks Ptawluss (or however you spell that city) campaign setting; but not for what he's asking.

Anyway, I could start saving up now. I know I want this product so I should just stop complaining...
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

I remember when you could buy a TSR module for $8.99 at Toys R Us. Am I dating myself? 8)

The two modules included lessen the sting. That's like a $22 value or something. The Wilderlands went for the same price, but no adventures. Wonder how they are selling.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:I remember when you could buy a TSR module for $8.99 at Toys R Us. Am I dating myself? 8)

The two modules included lessen the sting. That's like a $22 value or something. The Wilderlands went for the same price, but no adventures. Wonder how they are selling.
I remember, when I was young, like 10 or 11, going with my mom to the store where she bought her knitting and cross-stitch supplies, AND buying modules, like the first Ravenloft, from the same store!
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Ditto, man. It always seemed like there were hundreds of modules. No way could you own them all!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I love that cover. Don't really mind the price either. For campaign setting and two adventures, thats not bad at all.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote:I love that cover. Don't really mind the price either. For campaign setting and two adventures, thats not bad at all.
I agree. I take back any complaints I posted above. The hours of entertainment that this boxed set will provide would be much more expensive compared to other forms of entertainment.

Imagine if we had to pay what it cost to see a movie, on an hour by hour comparison!
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Yeah, that is a great cover -- first real artwork for this that I've seen other than maps.

As the lucky person that Joseph asked to edit this tarrasque-sized project, I just want to add my praise to what Harley, Jeff, and the other writers have accomplished. DCC fans are in for a big treat.

And to add my two gp about the continued portability of the DCCs to your own campaigns, not to worry -- they're just as portable as ever. I've already told Harley that I plan to use one of the new adventures for my home Ravenloft campaign. :D

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Any chance of you guys having the time to post more sneak peeks? Pretty please? :wink:
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

I'm working on a sneak peek of the Lostlands region ... should have something posted in the next day or so. :)
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Mike_Ferguson wrote:I'm working on a sneak peek of the Lostlands region ... should have something posted in the next day or so. :)
Fantastic! I look forward to it, thanks.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”