A Full Blown DCC Campaign

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

A Full Blown DCC Campaign

Post by James Maclennan »

(I have been posting this on the Necromancer Games site and realised that I really should let the DCC crowd share in the experience.Please feel free to ask questions and make comments.Warning this will contain many, many spoilers as it is due to take my players from 1st to 16th level and beyond)

This is the tale of my Current Wilderlands of High Fantasy campaign which takes place in an ammended Southern Reaches.Various towns have been changed to those in the DCCs(so as not to change the population density)

The changes are as follows:
Belweif becomes the town of Argalis(from Assault on Strombringer Castle)
Mor Dann becomes Welwyn(from the Dragonfiend Pact)
Claycat becomes Ambroshea Trades(from Blackguards Revenge)
Two settlements have been added(they are small enough so as not to upset the population density too much)
Fairweather (from Dungeon Interludes) is in hex 4324
Blessings Be(also from Interludes) is in hex 3924
The castle in Hex 2826 is now the Ordacar cloister and also contains the Iron Crypt of the Heretics
The citadel in Hex 3229 is now the Temple of the Dragon cult

The party consists of the following characters:
Thorfinn Sturmsson-Male Skandik Fighter
Gairwyn Bulfwyrsdottir- Female Skandik Rogue cousin to Thorfinn
Thay'lara Morninglight- Female High Elf Cleric
Caran Silveroak_Male High Elf Ranger Thay'lara's bodyguard
Joneleth of Valon-Male Common Avalonian Sorcerer and (self appointed) party leader.
Dorrin Rocksplitter-Male Dwarf Fighter
Lairen Goodweed-Male Half-Elf Druid with Wolf companion Grayback(now on hiatus)
Germ Irvig-Male Half Elf Ranger ex Caravan scout

Stat blocks for all characters will be posted if requested
Strange dreams and omens caused our party to assemble in Valon where the Ice Mages informed them they were the subjects/victims of prophecy.Each of them was descended from a powerful non human creature and whilst the true nature of their mission was shrouded in darkness the Mages were able to tell them that their destiny lay in the Southern Reaches(I am using the bloodline rules from UA with each character having a major bloodline)

The Prologue
For what seemed to be the thousandth time that morning Thorfinn wiped the sweat from his eyes and stared out across the seemingly unending plains of the Southern Reaches, and for the thousandth time that morning all he could see was grass studded with the occasional stand of thorn trees. "Tell me again" he asked the redheaded woman riding on the tail of the wagon beside him "exactly why we came to this Odin forsaken place? "
"Because" came the reply "someone had a bloody stupid omen and had to go running to the bloody priest with it that's why and then of course the bloody priest tells the bloody idiot he needs to take his cousin with him and go to bloody Valon"
"And then" she continued, obviously wanning to the subject "when he gets there the poor fool finds he's only one of a bunch of saps that got themselves into the same situation. Only the answer to his problem isn't in Valon, oh no, it's about as far from there as you can get and still be on the bloody map. And even when we get there we find that the only safe way to get to our final destination is to sign up with a trade caravan which is carrying dried bloody fish for Freya's sake, the very thing I have been trying to get away from for years. That my dear cousin is why we are here now shut up and keep your eyes open, the caravan master says there might be raiders about. Though why they would want three wagonloads of dried fish is beyond me"
"Hah" said Thorfinn "if I remember rightly, you begged me to take you along so that your father couldn't marry you off to old Snorri Egilsson, but if you're going to be so angry about it I'll just go and check on the others"
"Aye, you do that and while your doing that find out if our self appointed leader knows when we are stopping, not that I expect fish boy to know of course"
Thorfinn jumped down from the lumbering wagon and made his way back to the next in line swinging himself up beside the driver. The tall half elf grinned at him, a grin mirrored by the large grey wolf sitting at his side.
"I take it that Gairwyn is having another one of her I hate everyone days, what makes her so angry all the time"
"Don't ask me why Lairen, all I know is ever since we were children she's had to complain about something. Her mother, my Aunt Tilde, is exactly the same you should have heard some of the shouting matches they had when she was growing up. My Uncle Olaf used to disappear for days at a time and with two women like that in his house I can't say I blame him. But enough about my family, is everything going all right with you"
"As you can see Grayback and I are doing fine, no need to worry about us. Care for a drink?"
"Not unless you have some good Skandik ale about you, the stuff they drink down here tastes like bilgewater and as for that herbal stuff you brewed up the other day.. .never again"
"Well you did drink about four times what you should have, nearly a quart if I remember rightly"
"But you could have warned me about the side effects, then I wouldn't have spent the whole night at the privy"
"Ah, but you felt better for it"
"If that was feeling better then I hope you never give me something that makes me sick. I need to check with the others, I'll see you later"
"Aye, I'll be here"
Climbing over the cargo and past the dozing forms of the caravan crew Thorfinn dropped down to the Tailgate of the wagon almost landing on a semi-recumbent form
"In the name of Mananann MacLir watch where you're going man" sputtered the pale skinned man in the grey coat "It's bad enough being thrown about on this blasted wagon without having you land on my head"
"Then maybe you should be more alert Joneleth and then you wouldn't get stepped on. Gairwyn wants to know if you have any idea where we are stopping next"
"Let me guess, it went something like 'go ask fish boy if he has any idea where we are' didn't it"
"Something like that"
"Why does she dislike me so much"
" Well generally she dislikes everyone, but in your case it may have been the obvious attempt to bed her on the first night out of Valon"
"I told you, that was a minor misunderstanding"
"Yes but I'm not the one who tried to put a dagger in your eye, just try not to annoy her too much, because I am usually the one who has to clean up afterwards and I doubt we could afford to pay wergyld for you"
"Very well I will handle your cousin with kid gloves from now on. Besides I have more interesting sport in mind" the Avalonian nodded towards the third wagon
"Tell me has your magic fried your brain or is it just this infernal heat. Do you really think that she is
going to fall into your arms without her bodyguard having a say in the matter"
"Mr Strong and Silent you mean," the sorcerer smiled, " he doesn't scare me"
"He should, have you watched him shoot, I mean really watched him"
"Why"
"Because if you were a trained fighting man you would know just how good he was. I'm pretty good with my crossbow but I wouldn't want to go up against him on one of his bad days. So my advice to you is forget about the lady and concentrate on solving the riddle that sent us here"
"Seven Scions to restore the light. Well we know that each of us has a blood connection to some pretty powerful ancestors so we're the scions but I still haven't figured out what the light we have to restore is"
"So spend more time thinking about that and less time trying to get into Thay'lara's bedroll. I have to go check on them now anyway"
"So go and give me some peace to think if I can do that with all this infernal lurching about"
Dropping to the ground Thorfmn waited for the third wagon to reach him before swinging himself up
onto the box and, after a few words with the driver, into the half full wagon-bed.
"Ah our Skandik friend seems to have finally found time to join us" the voice was rich and warm yet at
the same time had just the slightest hint of a giggle in it. "And to what do we owe the honour of your
company, have you and your cousin fallen out again"
"Good Morning my lady" Thorfinn replied "I was merely checking up on everyone"
The beautiful elfin face fell "I thought we had agreed that it was Thay'lara not 'my lady' as you are not my servant"
"Sorry Thay'lara I wasn't thinking"
"Or perhaps you were thinking too much."
"Perhaps"
"Sit a while here in the shade with me, the sun is strong and I am sure you are feeling the effects" Thorfinn sat beneath the lean-to which had been constructed from a thick blanket 'Odin' he thought, and not for the first time 'here is one who would grace even your hall. I'd best forget about it though, she must be nearly as old as my Grandmother.' He glanced across at the tall silver skinned elf that sat with his back to the wagon side and was met with the usual impassive stare.
"Don't mind Caran" ThayTara said, "He doesn't like anyone getting too close to me, especially after the long talk he had with my mother before we left. But I told him that here my mother has no authority and that he is my bondguard not her's so he must do as I say"
"Bondguard"
"It's an old, very old elven ritual, hardly ever used nowadays but mother insisted. See" she lifted her hand to show the markings on her wrist "both I and Caran have this tattooed on our wrists. It bonds my life to his until I choose a husband and a member of his house takes the responsibility. Caran is the first bondguard in our house for over three hundred years, unfortunately the bond means that if I should die he does too"
"And if he dies"
"Well it doesn't work that way, the idea is that Caran should die defending me, so if his death caused mine it wouldn't be a very good idea would it. I told mother I didn't want this but she said it was that or not go at all so I had to give in but I have ordered Caran not to die if he can possibly help it" Thorfinn exchanged glances with Caran, made his excuses and left. 'Truely' he thought, as he jogged back to the front of the caravan 'the ways of other races are strange. How can anybody willingly take on such a burden'
Pointedly ignoring Gairwyn as he climbed back into the lead wagon he made his way forward to just behind the drivers seat and the final member of the company.
"I hear there might be raiders about" he said to the mail clad dwarf who sat atop the wagon "has anyone any idea of how many"
"No"
"Well do we know what they might be after"
"No"
"Don't say a lot do you"
"When I have something worth saying, I'll say it"
"Right" Thorfinn turned to the caravan master riding beside the driver "Where's the next stop"
The older man glanced up at the sun and thought for a moment before replying. "I reckon two hours should see us to Fairweather. It's a farming village run by druids so we can trade for grain there"
"And how far to this Welwyn place we're going to"
"About a days travel so this time tomorrow if the gods are willing"
"Thanks"
Thorfinn wiped the sweat from his eyes and stared out over the plains
Last edited by James Maclennan on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open the Door, Kill the Monster, Take it's Treasure
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Chapter One The Eye of Night(contains spoilers)

Chapter One The Eye of Night
Arriving at Fairweather the company found the settlement in ruins with numerous bodies strewn about the wrecked buildings.The place also seemed to be infested with rats.
The party,now joined by the caravan's scout (Germ Irvig,1/2 Elf Rgr 1) investigated the only substantial structure remaining in the settlement, a large, partially collapsed barn and discovered that part of the floor had given way revealing a steeply sloping passageway.Germ(pronounced with a hard G) investigated the hole and was lucky to save himself when the edge gave way beneath him.
Securing a rope to a sturdy timber the party descended into the depths where they discovered a cavern full of surprisingly agressive normal rats that attacked without warning. The fight was quick but bloody with the rats final defeat being ensured when Joneleth brought sixteen of them down with a sleep spell. At this point the remaining rats fled down one of the two passages leading from the cavern.A body was discovered which was carrying a small number of coins,a masterwork cold iron Scimitar and a vial labelled "Silversheen"
The party then began to argue about whether to pursue the rats(Thay'lara) or follow the second passage(Joneleth) a debate which was won by Thay'lara exercising her feminine wiles.Following the rats however proved to be more difficult than first imagined as the passageway shrank to a width of just over two feet before splitting.Taking the left hand path led them to a small cavern in which the rats seemed to be breeding here,and in a similar cavern to the right, the party killed some "Rodents of Unusual Size"(Dire Rats) and drove of the hordes of lesser rats.
Realising that the way they had come was a dead end our heroes returned to the main cavern and followed the second passageway eventually coming to a splitting of the ways. Once again they chose the left hand path which led to a cavern smelling of corruption.Noticing some bodies behind some barrels Gairwyn went top investigate but recoiled in horror when a large centipede scuttled from behind the barrels.

It took a matter of seconds to deal with the centipede but not before had had been badly bitten(max damage and 4 points Dex loss).
Searching the bodies garnered the party 11 gold coins,a small ruby and a magical ring which Thorfinn wore to no immediate effect.Then,having healed Dorrins wound they pressed on.
The next area our heroes came to was a maze of crumbling mud walls which led them to a wide pit, the bottom of which was filled by a pool of noxious matter.As they were working out how to cross safely a group of Dire Rats assailed the rear of the party and after a stiff fight, in which Caran, Lairen and Grayback the wolf were all knocked unconcious,were disposed off.Following this the party retreated to the kitchen area where they proceeded to spend a nervous 8 hours resting.
Once the party was able to move again they returned to the Wagons to resupply and decided to return to the caves before the heat of the day became unbearable.
Returning to the pit our heroes spotted tracks leading along both sides althugh the southern sides tracks generally ended at the halfway point.Lairen volunteered to walk the northern ledge, made it ten feet of the way and then fell. He failed to grab the ledge and tumbled to the bottom where he was attacked by the gray ooze lurking in the pool (and ended up on-1hp).thankfully the party had taken the precaution of tying a rope on him and were able to haul him up before the ooze killed him.
Gairwyn then told everyone to "step aside and let the professional do it" tied herself to the rope and promptly fell in on her 1st step(natural 1 on a balance check does it every time)
Eventually the party managed to get across the ledge and followed the tunnel until it disgorged into a large cavern in which there was a pit seemingly generating rats. They barely had time to take this in before Gairwyn shouted a warning and more Fiendish Dire Rats and a Wererat leapt from the shadows and attacked.
A long fight ensued which ended with the wererat and his allies going down whilst inflicting only minor wounds on the party(the wererat used his rapier so no-one got infected
Once the dust had settled the party began to explore the caverns contents finding a number of magical items most of which they were able to partially identify.A rope protruding from the pit proved to be tied to a strange plant-like creature, a Thornblood, named Thistle who turned out to be the Druidic Leader of the commune.The source of the rats appeared to be some sort of Bag of Endless Rats which the party destroyed at Thistles urging
Thistle explained that the raiders were the servants of some greater unknown evil and had attacked in order to secure a magical item of importance to their master.This item,a Gem of Brightness known as the Eye of the Night, was no longer safe with Thistle and he urged the party to accept it and keep it safe.
With some reluctance the party accepted the gift of the gem along with some Keoghtams Ointment and left the caverns.On the way out they encountered the badly wounded animal companion of Thistle which the Druid healed and then returned to the caravan which soon set off for Welwyn the next stop on its trade route.
Last edited by James Maclennan on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Chapter 2 the Dragonfiend Pact (pt 1) contains spoilers

Chapter 2 the Dragonfiend Pact
Arriving in Welwyn some members of the party went down with filth fever which took some 6 days to throw off.During this time the fitter members sold the gems and assorted equipment they had salvaged during their adventure and found out the following
1)The Mayor of the town had been assassinated some 6 months before.His daughter the young and extraordinarily attractive Lady Arabella had been elected in his place
2)About 4 months ago a man suffering from lycanthropy had been driven from the gates
3)The town had been suffering a series of petty thefts for about 3 months

Once everyone had recovered from the fever our gallant band agreed to hunt down the thieves plauging the town.Rumours led them to investigate the town well where they discovered a secret door which lead to a series of caverns beneath the town.As they could not take Grayback they left Lairen and his wolf behind(In reality the Player hasn't turned up for weeks and his character has been put on hold for now)
The first cavern seemed to be deserted until Gairwyn went to scout it out.Hardly had she stepped into the cave when a monstrous spider the size of a small horse darted from beneath a cunningly concealed trapdoor and sank its fangs deep into her body.The spider the attempted to drag heralmost comatose body back to its lair but the remainder of the party set upon it with gusto and it soon fell though not before Caran too had felt the power of its bite(he saved vs the poison though).
Thay'lara's healing soon had both the wounded back to full fighting trim although Gairwyn was complaining of nausea and muscle pain from the spiders poison(failed both saves but only dropped 2 STR in total).A search of the lair revealed a small amount of coinage and a masterwork silver dagger with an Opal mounted in the hilt.
Leaving the cavern and continuing around a bend in the passage the party came upon a portcullis barring their way.Gairwyn discovered that it was trapped with a glyph of warding which was easily obscured and then Thorfinn and Dorrin attempted to lift the gate.As they did so a spear emerged from a concealed murder hole in the side of the passageway sinking into Thorfinns calf for a minor wound.
The others scrambled through the gap and Gairwyn located and activated the gate mechanism allowing the fighters to move onwards just as Thay'lara noticed an abnormality in the passage wall.

The abnormality turned out to be a secret door leading to a small cavern in which were found 4 dwarven zombies.
Thay'lara was quick to turn them and the fighters made good use of their axes to lay the abominations low.Whilst this was going on Gairwyn and Germ were finding and disarming a number of traps down the main corridor.First a firing mechanism of some kind, then a swinging great axe (which was taken for Thorfinn) and finally a tripwire, which seemed to do nothing but which was a decoy for a well concealed pit trap(not well enough to evade a search roll of 22 though)

The zombies abode proved to contain little of interest though a speculative Detect Magic did reveal that one of the spears they carried was magical(taken by Joneleth).Caran did turn up some scraps of paper which appeared to contain a coded message but no one was able to decipher the code.However the party did come to the conclusion that someone REALLY didn't want them going down this passage.

Moving on the party came to another seemingly deserted cavern which turned out to be the home of two Dire Badgers one of which almost killed Dorrin(-6hp) before it was itself laid low along with it's mate.Searching this area turned up nothing but fleas and so the party moved on to a spectacular underground grotto where they filled their water skins finding, in the process a pouch full of silver sling bullets.

Finally the adventurers entered a cave lit by the glow of a firepit beside which crouched a single human figure.As soon as the man saw them, however, his features began to change metamorphosing into those of a Badger
(at this point the session ended on a decent cliffhanger for a change)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

"Step aside and let the professional do it."
On. The. Floor. Laughing.

This is fantastic! I'm envious of your players. :)

More, more!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Updates will follow each Wednesday although we will be taking a short break from the campaign after each chapter to allow for the other games we play at our club.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Excellent job!! Please keep up the good work.

As the author of DCC Interludes, I'm thrilled to see how you've woven the different chapters into your campaign timeline, exactly how I had intended it to be used :)
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The Interludes are great for my group due to the limited number of locations which means we can do each of them in a couple of weeks while driving the story along.I'm also working on a plot to make the Dragon Cult and the Stormbringer Clan part of a greater conspiracy along with Skullshank.Also I intend the army in Temple of the Dragon Cult to be Ordocar led which will get the party involved in the "Blackguards Revenge" and "Iron Crypt of the Heretics" modules

Here for your information are the stat blocks for the characters

Dorinn Rocksplitter; Dwarf Ftr3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d10+9; hp 33; Init +6; Spd 20 ft; AC 18, touch 12, FF 16; BAB +3; Grapple +6; Atk: +6 melee (1d3 + 3, Unarmed), +7 melee (1d10 + 4/crit x3, Waraxe, dwarven), +5 (1d6 + 3, Axe, throwing), +6 melee (1d6 + 3/crit x3, Handaxe), +6 (1d4 + 3/crit 19-20, Dagger silvered MW); SA +1 to attack orcs/goblinoids; SQ Darkvision, Stonecunning, +2 to saves vs spells or poisons, +4 dodge vs giants; AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +2; Str 17, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10.
Languages spoken: Dwarven and Common
Skills and Feats: Climb +2, Craft (Armorsmith) +5, Intimidate +5, Swim +0; Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Cleave, Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus.
Special Abilities: Darkvision, Dwarf Speed.
Possessions: 1 pp, 28 gp, 22 sp, 6 cp, Chain shirt, Buckler +1, Dwarven waraxe, Masterwork silver dagger, 2 Throwing axe, Handaxe, Backpack, Waterskin, Bedroll, Miner's pick, Trail rations (per day), Iron pot, Flask, Ale, Belt pouch, Flint and steel, Alchemist's fire (flask), Whetstone.

Gairwyn Bulfwyrsdottir; Human Rog3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d6; hp 18; Init +2; Spd 30 ft; AC 14, touch 12, FF 12; BAB +2; Grapple +2; Atk: +2 melee (1d3, Unarmed), +2 melee (1d4/crit 19-20, Dagger silvered), +2 melee (1d6, Sap), +3 melee (1d6 + 1, Rapier +1), +5 ranged (1d6 + 1/crit x3, Shortbow +1); AL N; SV Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +4; Str 11, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 12.
Languages spoken: Common,Skandik, Avalonian
Skills and Feats: Appraise +4, Balance +3, Bluff +3, Climb +4, Decipher Script +5, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +3, Hide +8, Sleight of Hand +5, Intimidate +4, Jump +1, Listen +5, Move Silently +7, Open Lock +6, Search +6, Spot +5, Use Magic Device +3; Armor Proficiency (Light), Blind-Fight, Dodge, Iron Will, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Two Weapon Fighting.
Special Abilities: Evasion, Sneak Attack, Trap Sense, Trapfinding.
Possessions: 1 pp, 40 gp, 20 sp, 8 cp, Leather, Rapier +1, Shortbow, Arrows (20), Dagger silvered, Sap, Backpack, Waterskin, Bedroll, Crowbar, Hammer, Trail rations (per day), 3 Oil (1-pt. flask), Bullseye lantern, Shortbow, Short sword, Belt pouch, Flint and steel, Thieves' tools

Thay'lara Morninglight; Elf Clr3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d8; hp 12; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 13, touch 11, FF 12; BAB +2; Grapple +2; Atk: +2 melee (1d3, Unarmed), +3 (1d4/crit 19-20, Dagger ), +4 (1d4 + 1/crit 19-20, Dagger +1), +2 melee (1d6, Quarterstaff); SQ Low-light Vision, +2 to saves vs enchantment, immune to sleep effects; AL CG; SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +6; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16.
Languages spoken: Common and Elven
Skills and Feats: Concentration +2, Diplomacy +5, Heal +5, Knowledge (History) +1, Knowledge (Religion) +4, Spellcraft +1; Alertness, Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Improved Turning, Scribe Scroll, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Special Abilities: Aura, Bonus Languages, Domain Good, Domain Healing, Domains, Low-light Vision, Spontaneous Casting, Turn or Rebuke Undead.
Possessions: 35 gp, 43 sp, 8 cp, Leather, Quarterstaff, Dagger +1, Dagger, Silver holy symbol, The eye of the night, Backpack, 7 Trail rations (per day), Winter blanket, Waterskin, Bedroll, Keo's ointment, 1 Potion of cure light wounds

Caran Silveroak; Elf Rgr3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d8+6; hp 22; Init +5; Spd 30 ft; AC 18, touch 15, FF 13; BAB +3; Grapple +7; Atk: +7 melee (1d3 + 4, Unarmed), +5 melee (1d8 + 4/crit 19-20, Longsword), +5 melee (1d6 + 2/crit 19-20, Sword, short), +9 ranged (1d8 + 1/crit x3, Longbow); SQ Low-light Vision, +2 to saves vs enchantment, immune to sleep effects; AL CG; SV Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +4; Str 18, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 15.
Languages spoken: Common, Sylvan, Auran and Elven
Skills and Feats: Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Handle Animal +3, Hide +10, Survival +9, Knowledge (Geography) +3, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Listen +12, Move Silently +9, Search +10, Spot +12, Use Rope +10; Alertness, Armor Proficiency (Light), Endurance, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting.
Special Abilities: Combat Style, Favored Enemy, Low-light Vision, Wild Empathy.
Possessions: 1 pp, 27 gp, 27 sp, 6 cp, Studded leather, Longsword, Short sword, Spade or shovel, Arrows (20), Longbow, Backpack, Waterskin, Bedroll, Flint and steel, Sack, 3 Torch, Trail rations (per day), Belt pouch.

Joneleth of Valon; Human Sor3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d4+3; hp 12; Init +2; Spd 30 ft; AC 12, touch 12, FF 10; BAB +1; Grapple +2; Atk: +2 melee (1d3 + 1, Unarmed), +3 ranged (1d8/crit 19-20, Crossbow, light), +3 melee (1d8 + 1, Mace, heavy MW), +3 (1d4 + 1/crit 19-20, Dagger ), +3 melee (1d8 + 2/crit x3, Spear +1); AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4; Str 12, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 16.
Languages spoken: Common, Avalonian, Aquan
Skills and Feats: Bluff +9, Concentration +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +7, Spellcraft +9; Alertness, Combat Casting, Dodge, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Special Abilities: Familiar.
Sor Spells Known (6/6): 0--Detect magic, Ghost sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Read magic, 1--Identify, Magic missile, Sleep.
Possessions: 1 pp, 36 gp, 43 sp, 6 cp, Heavy mw mace, Spear, Dagger, Light crossbow, Bolts (10), Minor ring of energy resistance (sonic), Spell component pouch, Backpack, 2 Waterskin, Bedroll, Sack, 3 Torch, 5 Oil (1-pt. flask), Hooded lantern, Trail rations (per day), Shortspear, Belt pouch, Silversheen, Flint and steel, Potion of spider climb.

Germ Irvig; Half-elf Rgr3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d8+6; hp 20; Init +8; Spd 30 ft; AC 18, touch 14, FF 14; BAB +3; Grapple +6; Atk: +6 melee (1d3 + 3, Unarmed), +5 melee (1d6 + 3/crit 18-20, Scimitar MW), +4 melee (1d6 + 1/crit 19-20, Sword, short), +8 ranged (1d8 + 1/crit x3, Longbow); SQ Low-light Vision, Elven Blood, +2 to saves vs Enchantment, Immunity to sleep; AL NG; SV Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2; Str 16, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 11.
Languages spoken: Common, Ghinorian and Elven
Skills and Feats: Balance +3.5, Climb +3, Escape Artist +4, Heal +5, Hide +9, Survival +7, Knowledge (Nature) +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Search +8, Spot +3, Use Rope +5; Armor Proficiency (Light), Endurance, Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Track, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting.
Special Abilities: Combat Style, Favored Enemy, Low-light Vision, Wild Empathy.
Possessions: 1 pp, 27 gp, 40 sp, 8 cp, Studded leather, Scimitar mw (cold iron), Short sword, Longbow, Arrows (20), Backpack, 2 Waterskin, Bedroll, Flint and steel, Sack, 3 Torch, Trail rations (per day), Scimitar, Belt pouch, Basket

Thorfinn Sturmssson; Human Fig3: CR 3; ECL 3; Size M; HD 3d10+6; hp 33; Init +6; Spd 20 ft (base 30 ft); AC 19, touch 12, FF 17; BAB +4; Grapple +8; Atk: +8 melee (1d3 + 4, Unarmed), +6 ranged (1d10/crit 19-20, Crossbow, heavy), +8 melee (1d8 + 4/crit x3, Battleaxe), +6 (1d6 + 4, Axe, throwing); AL N; SV Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +3; Str 18, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 12.
Languages spoken: Common
Skills and Feats: Climb +8, Craft (Weaponsmith) +8, Intimidate +7, Jump +1, Profession (Cook) +3, Profession (Sailor) +5, Search +3.5, Spot +3.5, Swim -7; Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Stealthy.
Possessions: 55 gp, 49 sp, 33 cp, Heavy steel shield, Chainmail mw, Heavy crossbow, Battleaxe, Throwing axe, Ring, Belt pouch, Flint and steel, Backpack, 2 Waterskin, Bedroll, Trail rations (per day), 4 Oil (1-pt. flask), 2 Hemp rope (50 ft.), Grappling hook, Artisan's tools, Common lamp, 5 Fishhook, 2 Traveler's outfit
Last edited by James Maclennan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

[color=darkred]The Dragonfiend Pact (continued)[/color]

Immediatly Germ charged the Werebadger,causing a slight wound, whilst Thay'lara cast Bless upon the party. The Lycanthrope retreated away from germ and attempted to hide behind a stalagmite and summon a Rat Swarm with a set of Pipes but the rats were slept by Joneleth and the party quickly began to surround the foe.Thorfinn used the last vial of Silversheen on his Greataxe and managed to land a telling blow and Joneleth's Magic Missiles struck with full power.In return the Were Badger's attacks were singuarly ineffective failing to pierce anyones armour. Soon the combined efforts of the party forced the enemy to assume the form of a badger and retreat into a two foot high passage into which the party was unable to follow.
A large chest was opened to reveal a number of potion bottles and scrolls, as well as a bag of coins and objects of value.The party was unable to open one scroll case which had an intricate lock but the other items proved to be potions, and a scroll, of a previously unknown spell "Improved Reduce Person" which would allow the party to pursue the Were creature.The pipes and a magical shortbow which the enemy had abandoned in his flight were also taken.
At this point the party decided to return to the surface and turn over the treasure they had found for identification.Unfortunately most of it was claimed but the party was paid a 20% finders fee for the return of those items most of which they used to purchase two pearls for use in identifications
Last edited by James Maclennan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The Dragonfiend Pact continued

Returning to the caves after a nights sleep the party consumed the potions and, guided by a map they had discovered in the chest, entered the tunnels,where a short trip brought them face to face with the Were creature again(now supported by two ordinary Badgers).Due to their now tiny size these creatures seemed large to the party but this did not stop them killing all their foes in short order(This was one of those nights where the dice were just NOT on my side).Only Thorfinn took any damage at all in the shape of two minor wounds although one was from the Lycanthrope.
Finding nothing of real use on the body(now a full sized human) the party pressed on traversing a long and winding tunnel which ended in a large cave bisected with a river which was interrupted by three stepping stones.
Being unwilling to risk jumping from rock to rock the party devised an ingenious solution involving the use of two arrows which Germ removed from his quiver and used to make a bridge.As they crossed over the party noticed two very large fish lurking nearby but were able to successfully avoid them both.
Beyond the river they traversed another long tunnel without incident and eventually debouched into a rock strewn cavern.Attempting to cross this area caused Thay'lara to lose her balance and suffer some minor bruising to her dignity as well as to her body.The cry of outrage from her attracted the attention of two giant ants which instantly attacked and,although one was driven off almost instantly(staggered on round one) a further two ants joined the battle. After some singularly ineffective attacks the ants were disposed off and the party pressed on
The next obstacle was a Chasm across which was stretched a rope. Thorfinn volunteered to cross first and used some fishing line to fashion a safety rope.As he inched his way out onto the rope bridge he couldn't help but look down and to his amazement found himself looking at a strange tentacled humanoid which promptly attempted to grab him. Thorfinn's cry of warning brought the party to the edge where they proceeded to barrage the creature with magic and missiles causing it to retreat to its lair .Unfortunatly it could not avoid Thorfinns heavy crossbow and collapsed in a shower of blood.
Descending to the niche Thorfinn discovered a substantial amount of treasure
here endeth the session
Last edited by James Maclennan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Another good session. Some nights the bad guys just can't get any luck. :)

(Remind the players of this session when they hit their runs of bad luck. :twisted: )
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The Dragonfiend Pact continued

Deciding to leave the creatures treasure for later recovery the party clambered down one side of the ravine and up the other with
little difficulty and marched onwards.
The next cavern seemed empty but as the party entered Caran spotted a Dragon on a ledge preparing to attack.His shouted warning brought the by now familiar rain of missiles which drove the creature out of the line of fire. Thay'lara heard a voice in her head pleading for mercy and two large bracers were thrown to the cavern floor as an incentive to let the beast live which the party did(Another really bad night for the DM as Brightscale got spotted and went next to last on initiative.Mind you the look on the players faces as I placed a medium Black Dragon figure on the table to represent him in proportion to the characters was priceless and he may yet return)
Moving quickly on the party found themselves entering a vast chamber which contained two towering candleabras,Five Human sized Skeletons chaned to the wall and a massive altar with a book lying on top of it.At this point Germ said he wished he was his normal size and cancelled the potion effect on himself(I run a rule whereby a player can cancel a potion effect just by stating his desire to do so) The now,to the others, Titanic sized Germ approached the altar and picking up Gairwyn asked her to check it for traps.As her feet touched the marble slab the skeletons began to animate but a hurried prayer from Thaylara destroyed them before they could do more than free themselves and draw their swords(and she did that on a natural 1 on the turning roll)
Searching the altar revealed a hidden compartment containing some treasure and two CLW potions.The book on the altar was written in code and took over 6 hours to decipher revealing the true nature of Welwyns foe.It turned out that all the village's woes were the responsibility of the local priest Magistrate Malchor who was determined to rule the area.
Whilst this was happening the elves discovered a secret door out of the cavern and some of the others grabbed few hours sleep.Once they were ready they moved on quickly coming upon a cave in which a cloaked humanoid form was writing at a desk.Spotting the party the figure uttered some words as it sprang up.
A short fight ensued in which the figure was revealed as a Dark Elf(not a Drow as they do not exist in the campaign setting),Thorfinn shrugged of an attempt to blind him and evaded the arrows of the elfs goblin ally.Finally the elf was brought down and was discovered to be Malchor disguised by a spell.The Goblin fled into the darkness outside(so he might turn up again as well)
The party looted Malchors hideout and found a fair amount of treasure which they brought back to town along with the still,barely, alive priest.
Once again the treasure was claimed by its owners and a finders fee agreed.The party also recieved the thanks of Lady Arabella and one hundred GP each for their services.

A nervous few days ensued as the companions waited to see if the curse of lycanthropy had hit Thorfinn but the full moon came and went with no change to him. A passing merchant purchased the extra treasures that had been concealed within the altar and Magistrate Malchor was imprisoned whilst a message was sent to his religious superiors asking them to arrange a heresy trial.The priest armour and weapons were given to the party as reward and turned out to be magical in nature. Dorrin claimed the breastplate and Joneleth took the dagger which proved to be one of spell storing.
A search of Malchor's house revealed a number of letters from the cleric Jarsen Tender keeper of the tomb of the paladin Arden Brightheart in the small settlement of Blessings Be which lay about 20 miles from Welwyn.
it seemed that the villagers had been disappearing for some time and Tender wanted Malchor to find aid a request which Malchor had obviously ignored with evil intent.At Lady Arabella's urging the party decided to investigate
James Maclennan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sorry about the lack of posts

We have taken a short break to play some Blue Planet but will return in a few weeks with "The Defiled Sanctuary"

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”