DCC #12...question about the Diamond

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Uratoh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC #12...question about the Diamond

Post by Uratoh »

So, the PCs are down in the tomb, facing against the Devourer, and one of them, in desperation, grasps the Diamond Caprice, and thinks the name of the saint whos death and valor created it in the first place...

There's no rules etc to prevent it, and its not inconcieveable a player would try it at some point...so what would you DCC people say to that eventuality?

It hasnt happened in my game, but im running the module eventually and some of my players get all 'noble and self sacrificy' sometimes.
Uratoh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Uratoh »

*pokes the topic*
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I've notified the module author of this thread so hopefully he'll get back to you with an official creator's word. If it were my campaign, I'd probably rule based on how I wanted the campaign to go. If you are okay with legendary saint-types adventuring with your PCs, then let the "summoning" happen with no objections -- the saint comes back and there you have it. If you're otherwise inclined, though, an easy fix would be to "fuzz up" history. Sure, everybody thinks the Diamond was created by St. Duframe... but in fact the legend has been muddled over the years and the true name of the creating saint is long lost. Thus, no saint can be summoned with the Diamond.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

If it were me DMing this and the PCs did attempt to bring back St. Duframe, I'd allow it. The PC would be struck dead and St. Duframe would appear. The Saint would crush the Devourer and place the PCs under a geas to travel to The Iron Crypt of the Heretics (DCC#12.5) to stop more of this evil from spreading. He'd heal the remaining PCs and send them on there way. The Saint would then de-materialize, returning to his sainted afterlife.

The fellow who sacrificed his PC could, if he wanted to, create a new character who, as they did, saw the smoke and ruin of the Cloister and raced to be of aid. Or he could play one of the paladins left over from the attack. The paladin would pledge his life to the PCs since St. Duframe blessed them. All lose ends tied up and the PCs have a great reason to tackle this module's follow-up adventure!
Wes Schneider
Gongfarmer

Dead and Gone

Post by Wes Schneider »

If I were running this and this event caught me unprepared, I would simply have it not work. Duframe is a saint now, a state that I would hold akin to a demigod, and it would take more than just a wish spell cast by the artifact to make him mortal again. The same thing might also happen if your characters attempt to summon back any other wildly famous or mythical characters from your campaign’s world.

On the other hand, I really like JediOre’s answer. That’s a fantastic idea if you’re planning on running the tie-in.

Of course, this is all your call. Think of whatever works best for your game and run with it.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”