DCC 31 (with only 3 1st level characters!)

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC 31 (with only 3 1st level characters!)

Post by frank5471uk »

Hi all

I have just completed DM'ing our second session with DCC31 (Transmuters Last Touch). There are supposed to be 4 party members, but both times, the player with the fighter has been a no show. Bravely the remaining three (Cleric, Rogue and Wizard) have decided to carry on and it has been a real blast, if a bit brutal.

In the first session, the Guard Chamber (Area 1-2) was a little tough (the Kobolds made great use of the nearby Noisome Transmutation panel), with the rogue ending up unconscious and the cleric using up all of his healing spells. To make up for the lack of a fighter, I gifted them with a 10 charge CLW wand in the First Shrine (Area 1-3). This meant that they were able to cure up and carry on. BTW, at this point I should point out that the kobolds successfully set of the warning gong.

In the second session, they triggered the trap in area 1-4 and the cleric fell unceromoniously into The Barricade room (area 1-5), wounded. Of the 5 kobolds there, two mounted the barricade and began firing their slings at the party, whilst the other 3 made use of the Fire-Infused Transmutation panel and rushed through the barricade gap to breath on the party, each of whom failed 2 out of 3 saves. Ooops. To prevent a TPK, I opted to rule that Fire-Infused cratures can only breathe every 1D4 rounds, not every round and I'm glad I did. After a really tough fight, the party prevailed with two of the members unconscious. After bringing the party back to walking wounded, the wand was expended and the party had to leave the complex. They have retired to a nearby village and spent two nights there.

In the next session, the plan is for the party to re-enter the complex, this time hopefully as a 4 person team.

I need to consider now what redeployments Tazex might have made in the two nights that the party have been away. I expect I will add a further CLW wand at the second shrine.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for how Tazex might react to this abortive strike into his comnplex ?

Frank

P.S. The players (and I) are having a ball with this. Not knowing what the kobolds will do next in terms of special abilities and the "OMG were all doooommmeed" nature of the two big fights so far has got them all worked up in a good way. Well done Jeff.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: DCC 31 (with only 3 1st level characters!)

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Thanks, frank5471uk! I'm still really fond of that adventure. :) I love kobolds.
Has anyone got any good suggestions for how Tazex might react to this abortive strike into his complex ?

In my vision of him, Tazex is all magic-bolstered swagger and pride. He's overconfident. If he knows that "warmblood heroes" have found his lair and are likely to return, he might prep his tribe to be ready for them but he wouldn't necessarily change too much—perhaps the arrangement of kobolds throughout the catacombs. The PCs, upon returning, might find areas 1-6 and 1-8 to be empty or nearly empty, with the kobolds swelling their numbers in areas 1-7 and 1-11.

Only if the PCs' actions suggest that they will return with much greater numbers would Tazex grow more paranoid. In which case he might challenge them right in area 1-7 as soon as they reach the other side of the chasm. And if they seem to have the upper hand with these reinforcements, he'll attempt to flee the complex altogether, abandon his tribe, and seek revenge on them another day when he's grown more powerful.

But otherwise, he still prefers to watch from area 1-13. Another sneaky tactic is for him to hide among the females and young (ordering them to conceal him), so he can follow them into areas 1-13 and 1-14 and try to surprise them!

Let us know how your next sessions play out!
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

This DCC was one of my favorites to run. It went quite well, but the only thing was that for some reason the party rolled too well and overpowerd the BBEG really quickly. It was a bit anti-climactic but still great.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Traps, traps, traps. :)

Any area that the PCs think that the can "trust" should have a surprise.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”