Eye of The Night - What are its Powers?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

simrion
Gongfarmer

Eye of The Night - What are its Powers?

Post by simrion »

Hello Folks,

Love the Goodman Games Adventures! Am running my group through #14 (they finished adventure #1 against BloodWhisker and retrieved the Eye of Night gem stone.) One thing my players are reliable for is springing the unexpected upon me and typically I can make the save. In this instance however they asked what magical powers the gemstone posessed and I cannot find this information anywhere in the book (maybe I'm not looking hard enough?) Can anyone help?
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Glad to hear you are enjoying Dungeon Interludes! Here are some things to consider about the Eye of the Night.

While the Eye of the Night has no intrinsic magical powers as presented in the module, it is quite valuable for its perfect crystalline structure and is highly sought after for use as a lens in certain magical contraptions (which you'll learn more about later in Dungeon Interludes).

If you feel you should give the Eye of the Night some magic powers as a reward for good play by your group, I recommend allowing the Eye of the Night to grant a creature with normal vision the equivalent of low-light vision when held. Alternatively, you may wish to have the Eye of the Night confer a +2 insight bonus to Spot and Search checks made outside at night. Either of these abilities are useful, but certainly not overpowering, magical effects worthy of 1st to 3rd level characters.

Either way, the Eye of the Night shimmers slightly with divination and enchantment when viewed with detect magic and a DC 15 Appraise check reveals that it is a singularly flawless gem with spectacular clarity and structure.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
simrion
Gongfarmer

Post by simrion »

ynnen, Thank you for the suggestions. I will most definitely use them :D
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Glad the information is helpful. Please keep us apprised with the progress of your party... One of the reasons I didn't include specific magic powers for the gem in the first place was the availability of magic elsewhere in the chapter -- and adding too much magic to low level groups can feel a bit unwieldy.

I'd love to hear how your group handled the various encounters, especially the showdown with Blood Whisker at the end of Chapter 1, and how they convinced Thistle to reveal the Eye of the Night.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Vanulf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Vanulf »

In the copy of DCC#14 that I have it says that the Eye of Night is a round topaz Gem of Brightness, now whether it is fully charged or not is another question. I just basically rolled percentiles and said that it has that many charges left.
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Re: Eye of The Night - What are its Powers?

Post by Losloris8 »

Currently using this series (The Oculum Infernea) as a side adventure. We were in the caves where the gems were mined. Down below was the Vapor demons. I decided it was necessary to have the floors have a sunken area to accomodate the demons. It did not make sense to have the vapors on every area of the lower floor as it would necessarily affect all of the beings on the level

LG
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Losloris8 »

(found my files)

The note above refers to Chapter 4: the Dunerain Mines. And, the add flesh to the phantasy I teamed it up with Falcon's Peak from Dungeon Magazine Issue 3. Worked very well together

LG
Last edited by Losloris8 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Losloris8 »

We play tonight.

Khalil will be in search of the Eye of the Night as a job commissioned by his guild, the School of the Seven Bells. Hopefully, he will be successful. However, thanks to this thread things will get seriously interesting. Khalil has already withheld information from his guild on several occasions, the Rod of Hirwerd which controls elementals that he keeps at his waist, the Gag of Felix (the guild had intercepted information but got the Egg of the Phoenix wrong). I do not doubt that once he holds the Eye of the Night and discovers that it provides full night vision he will slay the emissary of the guild, Strombolini the 9th level mage, and thus be in big trouble.

Love it.

LG
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Losloris8 »

building a mystery:

I cut and paste from any good idea without regard, so, my apologies if you are affronted but the content from several disparate sources.

This is a campaign based mostly upon the Egg of the Phoenix with an abundance of DCC material.

Khalil is now charged by his guild, the School of the Seven bells based in Charwood, to find the Eye of the Night. Their sources indicate the EotN is in the possession of one Vauldra Copperhurst, last known to be in the area of Blackhelm (do not worry, dear reader, on these particulars). The guild insisted that Khalil bring a mage of theirs, Strombolini, who would be able to verify the gem as being the EotN.

Off they went.

Blackhelm in the the hills bordering onto a mountain range. Blackhelm is also quite near Crowes's Cross where Khalil found other parts of the Oculum Infernea. At the base of Dunerain Mines at Crowe's Cross in the chamber of the Vapor Demons, Khalil and company found a long tunnel that went on for some 2km, and came out at at hall of fire giants (which is actually G3, Hall of the Fire Giants) wherein the temple was clearly dedicated towards the worship of Imix, the Archomental.

With me so far?

In checking out Blackhelm (an outpost trading city of perhaps 1000), Khalil found and spoke with another agent of the School of Seven Bells, Egen, who eventually uncovered that Vauldra had shacked up with Father Darius Balthazar. Darius is part of a group of adventures (so, not a cleric who sets up a church) six in all. Currently in Blackhelm is his colleague Niskeff (ftr) while four others are out adventuring. According to Egen, ever since Vauldra has been around sightings of Darius have been way less frequent, and, Niskeff has been very distracted of late.

Khalil was most interested in following the Vauldra lead and so, while Strombolini and company bought their way into the inner keep, Khalil dusted himself to disappear and check out the more important apartments of the keep. It was easy to find Darius', to enter, to make it into his private chamber that clearly had signs of a lady living there too. Looking through the letters that were on the bureau, Khalil found notes written by Vauldra and letters she had received; clearly she was announcing to her friends that she had Darius under her thumb and that now was the time for her friends to come and stage a coup in Blackhelm (for reasons that were not clear).

Khalil informed the party who agreed that this was good reason to reveal themselves as men of character (I believe that higher level characters can carry themselves in such a manor as to purchase an audience that lower levels can not). to Niskeff. Plus, said Strombolini, Niskeff was said to be looking for help in order to recover a precious gem that he just bartered off. When we met with Niskeff he was stunned by the news involving Darius as he, Niskeff, had been too preoccupied in dealing with the Duergar. The Duergar are said to be working in partnership with a black dragon (this is from Forge of Fury) and have been threatening to sack Blackhelm completely. Niskeff has been doing his best but with four buddies away and Darius just plain unavailable, Niskeff felt obliged to buy piece by giving the Duergar the Eye of the Night. Right, says Niskeff, we must stop the Duergar so 'I need you to find Darius, who is most certainly still here. Get him, remove the charm he is under and I will then tell you exactly what I know about the Duergar and where the EotN is."

The party were given free reign to search through the inner keep, starting with Darius' flat. In the pantry of his flat a back wall was found to be fake, through which was a ramp leading down. The construction certainly seemed recent. Down they went (into what is level 2 of the Volcano Caves of DCC 19. We have established that Immolous is a known right hand man of Imix, which helps tie in all of the interest we have for elementals). This is where we ended.

Really, I take from any good idea.

LG
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

Okay, there is an opportunity for us to play, but only some of us. So, Khalil and Dorminder's pursuit for the Oculum Infernae is where we will go.

So, I am thinking to bring this story thread to a conclusion; Khalil has recovered several parts of the telescope along with the EotN and the HotS, killed one of Skullshank's minions so that he can be brought back to life and squeezed for information. And so, am now looking at the final encounter involving all of the elementalss and then Skullshank; the War of the Summoner.

Am I reading the story line properly?
Does one have to go through all of the elemental things (which fit perfectly with the overarching campaign theme involving the archomentals) in order to get to Skullshank's private little getaway? Is that what he does every time he wants to get to his hidden little corner? That seems a little rich, no?

This is not a knock against the module, but I do have problems with that type of math. Kind of like the Rhemorahz that drops in DCC 30 just as the party passes (which, bytheby, seems to be the way those beasties are used as the very same trick appears in the G series and in another DCC I scanned across the other day). In that, how does this stuff work on the day to day, when the party is not just passing by? Or, why is every door closed in most every campaign setting? That last one was rhetorical but does finger how I try to prep a setting - such as having the rhemoraz show up if this, then that; not just, that.

But, back to the question; is it supposed that Skullshank goes through each elemental space to get each key each time he visits the private lair and then returns everything back that way once done?

Losloris
working on trying to use a good part of the Smuggler's Cove as a pre-setting for the War of the Summoner
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

As is my want, I have made a change or two. All of this, the campaign and setting and such, should be malleable to your situation.

I like the end of EotN, but each step, as provided, seems rather short. So, to make approaching a conclusion a little more substantive I opted to tack the last bit of EotN on to DCC 7, the Smuggler's Cove.

A new thread will appear once this works itself in a little.

My aim is to have Khalil & Dorminder adventure through the Smugglers cove, and, along the way pick up the four elemental keys that will access the 'transporter' that will get them to Skullshank's inner office. Ultimately, just for a change, we have fallen into a habit of everything being underground. I would really like to find a tower of sorts that would house what sections of the telescope that K&D have not found.

Currently K&D found and gave to Khalil's guild two sections of telescope and one gem. Also, they just retrieved a gem from Tharaxis (bottom of DCC 19) and do not want to give that to the guild. Therefore, that leaves Skullshank with two telescope sections and at least one gem (if not three).

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

Anyways, back to the original question;

It is a perfect gem. In cases where items like this occurs I try to encourage my party to try things like casting spells on the gem to have the gem store these spells for later retrieval. In a case like this, low level campaign, an idea like that would be bounded by keeping the amount of spells the gem could store to a limit and perhaps tying that limit to the intelligence of the mage trying this.

Losloris

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”