DCC Campaign World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

ewheeler
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC Campaign World

Post by ewheeler »

Is there a unified/original DCC campaign world?

Have any other DMs compiled a list of places and NPCs mentioned in the modules?

Thanks,
e
Barrataria
Far-Sighted Wanderer

not that I know of

Post by Barrataria »

I don't even think any of them specify possible settings. I think it's part of the point of the whole series that they can go anywhere.

I've placed some in Greyhawk for my 1E campaign, some on Cerilia (Birthright) for my B/X D&D campaign, and I haven't figured out what to do with the Drow one yet.

BB
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

There's no official DCC campaign world. They're designed to be stand-alone, so you can integrate them with any setting. Although observant readers may notice the occasional references from one DCC to another as the series progresses.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I'm working on a little mini-setting that houses the Goodman Dungeon Crawl Classics... its coming along nicely. I'll upload the final map in a better format when I get it done.

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Ooh, a campaign cartographer map! Nice job.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Nice map.

I see Saltmarsh on your map. As in the Trilogy -- U1, U2, and U3? Great old modules they are.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks. Yeah thats Saltmarsh. Dungeon Master's Guide II has an updated map and a very detailed look at the city.. so I figured that I'd include it in my upcoming game.

The whole game is going to consist of the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawls

Here is the order
Idylls of the Rat King or Lost Vault
The Mysterious Tower
Legacy of the Savage Kings
Secret of the Smuggler's Cove
Sunless Garden or Curse of the Emerald Cobra
Aerie of the Crow God
Volcano Caves
Temple of the Dragon Cult
The Blackguard's Revenge
Bloody Jack's Gold
Citadel of the Demon Prince
Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen
Assault on Stormbringer Castle
Crypt of the Devil Lich

Some campaign, huh? I'm pretty excited about it because the self contained nature of the adventures means that there is no overreaching convoluted plots (my past games were full of these).. Looking forward to good old fashion 1970s Dungeoneering :)

I am toying around with the idea of running website that tracks the campaign as well.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

You should really think about weaving DCC#14 throughout your adventures. It's pretty neat.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Yeah I plan on doing that. I need to pick that up this week.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

I was going to recommend DCC 14: Dungeon Interludes for your plans, as the individal chapters are short and work perfectly as "transitions" between larger campaign elements. And while the individual chapters are linked via an overarching plot contrivance, it can be played up or down to the DM's content -- or perhaps be just enough of an overall hook to keep players second guessing over the course of their campaigning years.

Granted, I'm a bit biased -- I wrote Dungeon Interludes for use as the main overarching plot in my own campaign, so that even when I threw other adventures into the mix, this one plot and villain could help provide some focus and foil along the way.

No matter what you choose to do, best of luck to you! You and your players are in for a real treat.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
ewheeler
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ewheeler »

Renshai wrote: The whole game is going to consist of the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawls
Renshai, that's great! That's what I'm planning on doing. The reason I started this thread was because I had hoped someone had an index of the NPCs mentioned in the DCCs and a list of locations or a map so that I could tie them all together.

-e
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sounds good

Post by waltero »

I'm very interested in your project. I've been gathering up some of the DCC modules for a possible all-crawl campaign. Keep up the good work.

Looking at the map, are the locations put in a reasonable order - i.e. lower level stuff nearby with the party traveling farther afield as they progress? I'm not very familiar with the DCC locales.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

heh, i was in the bookstore yesterday, and there's a new book i saw out (DMG II) that looks like it's mostly information on saltmarsh
(atleast, that's what i gathered from the table of contents...)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Cool idea. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

What a great campaign idea!!!!! You have to keep us updated with the progress of your PCs.....
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks! I'll be starting the game in about two weeks. I'll be doing a website for it as well as time permits.

I'm still working out the particulars on the map. I am thinking about replacing Soulgrave as the main city with the city Liberty from the City Quarter books by Game Mechanics. I'm not sure on that yet though.

There are some problems though... the mountains where Blackguard's Revenge take place are supposed to be cold and icy. Lost Tomb takes place in the desert and Curse of the Emerald Cobra takes place on a jungle island.

Any thoughts on how to geographically make a fairly small map work together with those elements?

As far a database of names and NPCs, I think I could come up with something like that.

Thanks,
Todd
Webmaster - www.againsttheshadow.org
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Solving Renshai's Problem

Post by waltero »

That is the kind of thing I was concerned about. Because the modules are so varied as to terrain, locale, etc. it gets to be difficult to make a logical fluid path to follow over the continent without a lot of criss-crossing.
Not a problem for high levels but why would 1-3rd level parties be travelling hundreds or thousands of miles?

Using our own world as an example, New Zealand has quite a varied climate for such a small place - exactly why Peter Jackson made such good use of it in the LOTR films. I have been there and it has nearly everything - although I don't recall any desert. However, there is a huge desert in Australia. Doesn't seem like too far away on the map but in reality it is probably 1000 miles or more away. It could be possible to have the desert on the main continent (Australia-like) and have two or more other terrains on a not too far away island complex (New Zealand-like). Hope this helps.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Thanks waltero. I've been doing some research on the forming of deserts and the location of jungles. I think I can make it all work in CC2. I am going to move the lower level adventures very close together and range out with the higher level ones. Curse of the Emerald Cobra will be pretty far away on an island. I'd like to include Freeport in the mix as well. Freeport actually plays well of Liberty City. I am going on vacation later this week and Im briging my laptop with me.. so look for a newer more complete map along with some notes in PDF format to be ready within the next two weeks or so!

Todd
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My idea as to how to get low level characters from Point A to Point B when the two are far apart can be found in Dungeon Magazine Issue #10. It's "Secrets of the Towers" by Larry Church.

Here is the link to the magazine:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issue ... 48btpy72y7

Sorry they say it is unavailable. See if you can locate it elsewhere.

The basic idea is an ancient group of magic-users created ten 5-sided towers all across the realm. At the top of each tower the five walls act independently as a gate to a corresponding tower far away. Much of the magic has faded and some of the gates no longer work or have become one-way portals. Several of the towers have become derelict or inhabited by vile creatures with no knowledge of the solid looking walls on the top level being portals.

That's my two-cents worth.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote: Any thoughts on how to geographically make a fairly small map work together with those elements?
I think Waltero has the right suggestion. You see the same thing with the Andes in South America. Big mountain filtering down into jungle and then sea coast really quickly. So close to the equator, it's all about elevation...

As fer getting the PCs around quickly, after the first few levels you could always have them work for a wise old mage who teleports them off to crazy missions (ala the Hell Boy comix).
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Does anyone own Legends are Made Not Born? I'd like to include the starting village and adventure location on the map but I don't own it yet. A list from Dungeon Interludes would help too, since my local game store doesn't have it right now.

Thanks
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

JediOre wrote: The basic idea is an ancient group of magic-users created ten 5-sided towers all across the realm. At the top of each tower the five walls act independently as a gate to a corresponding tower far away. Much of the magic has faded and some of the gates no longer work or have become one-way portals. Several of the towers have become derelict or inhabited by vile creatures with no knowledge of the solid looking walls on the top level being portals.
I was about to suggest adding something like that to the campaign world. It gives characters, even low level ones, an easy way to travel long distances in short amounts of time.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I like the idea of the portal towers and will add them to the map.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote:Does anyone own Legends are Made Not Born? I'd like to include the starting village and adventure location on the map but I don't own it yet.
I think Made Not Born begins in Dundraville...or something like that. If I remember right it is next to a small lake of the same name.

Interludes is a BIG adventure(s), and it would fit perfectly with your scheme.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I've got the first draft of the Goodman Games DDC classic map ready to go. You can see the updated image above for a rough look at the map or you can download the CC2 map viewer from Profantasy and download my map here:

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/images/ ... sworld.zip

Printer/Viewer
http://www.profantasy.com/library/dpv.asp

As of now I haven't added the teleport towers that have been requested. I am going to make a special layer for them so they can be turned off and on based on the DM's preference.

Enjoy!
Todd

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”