Cthulhu Crawl Classics

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Post by wyrmwood »

Howdy all,

I'm a wonderin' if anybody gots any idea where one migt find some D20 info on Cthulhu and his minions. I really can't afford the now out-of-print Call of Cthulhu D20 book (the monetary value of which is insanely high) so is there some kind of web site somewere that lists Cthulhu Mythos stats and possibly a brief explanation of incorporating Sanity loss? The reason bein' is I'm setting my poor PCs against a wild 'n crazy "Alienist' (think the aforemtioned Cthulhu Mythos) sorcerer whom has recently committed deicide! :twisted: It's gonna' be fun watching my players scramble around Áereth trying to stop mind numbing 'things' from out of space and time.....but still retain classic fantasy standards of course drived straight from Classic Dungeon Crawl adventures.

All help is greatly appreciated.

--HR Crowley

PS--Isn't one of these adventures set in an insane asylum, or am I thinking of something else?
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

PS--Isn't one of these adventures set in an insane asylum, or am I thinking of something else?
You are correct, sir...you speak of DCC #34: Cage of Delirium, as seen here http://www.goodman-games.com/5033preview.php

It also comes with a fine CD of music written and performed by Midnight Syndicate just for the module, with cues in the text that suggest which tracks to play to get just the right mood.

It's Victorian-style, not quite Lovecraftian, but a strong horror offering. It is also one of the few GG modules that I know of to get a "not quite for young kids" rating.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
kafkonia
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kafkonia »

Jengenritz wrote:
You are correct, sir...you speak of DCC #34: Cage of Delirium, as seen here http://www.goodman-games.com/5033preview.php

It also comes with a fine CD of music written and performed by Midnight Syndicate just for the module, with cues in the text that suggest which tracks to play to get just the right mood.
Midnight Syndicate, of course, having already done some soundtracky work for CoC -- bringing it all full-circle.

To answer the initial questions:

1) No, to the best of my knowledge there are no on-line d20 stats for CoC because it wasn't released as Open Gaming Content.

2) The Sanity rules are in Unearthed Arcana, IIRC.
wyrmwood
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by wyrmwood »

Thanks everybody for your help.

The Stars musta' been right because I found a CoC D20 on Amazon for a mere $35. So now I shall go forward.........

--HR Crowley A.K.A Wyrmwood
grodog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grodog »

There's a long tradition of mixing Lovecraft's mythos monsters into D&D; see the thread @ DF @ http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21120 for some thoughts/history.
grodog
---
Allan.
grodog@gmail.com
Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
kafkonia
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kafkonia »

wyrmwood wrote:Thanks everybody for your help.

The Stars musta' been right because I found a CoC D20 on Amazon for a mere $35. So now I shall go forward.........

--HR Crowley A.K.A Wyrmwood
You are unnaturally lucky, that book often goes for upwards of $50 on eBay.
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

strange - CoCd20 is cheap as dirt around here...

BTW: madness & insanity is also a big theme in "Shadows in Freeport" - and the Freeport stuff from Green Ronin always included a good deal of Mythos elements (snake people, the Yellow Sign, etc.)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Cthulhu Crawl Classics

Post by finarvyn »

Huge necro bump here, but I just saw that there are 2 issues of "Crawl-thulhu" out on DriveThru. Only $3 per issue, which seems like a good deal for anyone who wants to mix Cthulhu with DCC.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”