Best of the DCCs?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Best of the DCCs?

Post by Guest »

Hi There, I'm new to the DCCs, and I plan on getting some of the them.

Any of them considered "Classics" already? Any particular favorites among ya?

I think a better question might be, if you could only play 3, which would they be?

Thanks!

Ed
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My three would have to be:

Temple of the Dragon Cult
Bloody Jack's Gold
and The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho

To be honest, I've enjoyed reading them all. I've only been able to adventure in DCC#1, Idylls of the Rat King and loved it. DCC #9 is the only one that's not an adventure, but works for DMs needing help with home-made adventures.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Mysterious Tower, Idylls of the Rat King, and Bloody Jack's Gold ....

Or: Caves of Chaos, Scourge of the Slavelords, and White Plume Mountain....:)
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

I'd have to go with Aerie of the Crow God (it did get nominated for an ENnie, after all), Crypt of the Devil Lich (a wonderful homage to old-school grindcore dungeons a la Tomb of Horrors) and Mysterious Tower....
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

This is tough... they're all good! If I had to pick one, I'd have say Crypt of the Devil Lich is my favorite. It was so much fun to work on, and the tournament was just great. And the adventure itself is really just incredible; the encounters, subplots, plot twists... everything about it is unique.

Other than that, it's like picking your favorite child... how can you single out just one? :) Idylls of the Rat King got an honorable mention for best adventure in the 2003 ENnies, and Aerie of the Crow God got a nomination in the 2004 ENnies, so those are definitely a couple good places to start.

But every module has its charm. Bloody Jack's Gold is a funny read with some killer encounters (the ziggurat room!); Temple of the Dragon Cult has some great NPCs (meant to be killed, of course) and a very confusing map (fun for DMs, not fun for players); Secret of Smuggler's Cove throws off the PCs with several very distinct levels and the ultimate easter egg (has any adventuring group ever found the shrine to Pelagia?)...

I could keep going. Listen to other people, not me; I love them all too much to pick just three!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Post by Guest »

I'm whipping my party through Mysterious Tower right now. They've already had two party deaths and haven't gotten to the force field acid trap yet. The local high priest is getting annoyed! "What?! Again? Dammit!"

I haven't run Bloody Jack's Gold yet but it's on my to-do list once the party gets to that level.

Crypt of the Devil Lich is also a beauty!
dragonlordofpoondari
Gongfarmer

Post by dragonlordofpoondari »

And now for a little thread necromancy <waves hands>

fzzzzpppth!!! "Brains ..."

A couple of years has passed and now the DCC line is really picking up steam. With the power of hindsight and with many more adventures added to the line, what would folks further recommend as the very best of the DCC line?

So far I have The Mysterious Tower, Bloody Jack's Gold, Aerie of the Crow God, The Blackguard's Revenge, Crypt of the Devil Lich, Shadows of Freeport, and the Vault of the Dragon Kings. I am impressed with the quality of these adventures, but have been less impressed with some others that I've perused at my FLGS. What more can you folks recommend?

I'm considering Legacy of the Savage Kings and the Sunken Ziggurat based on what I've read here. Are these worthwhile? What else is of the very finest quality?
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

Pour moi: Mysterious Tower, Legacy of the Savage Kings, and The Sunless Garden.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

best three? dear god...thats like picking my 3 favorite appendages. sure i don't need them ALL but i'd sure miss the ones i don't get to keep.

iron crypt of the heretics (GREAT web extras on ben's map page)

*hall of the minotaur (in the world boxed set ..... sounds like you might not need to buy it, but there you go) (also has maps on the map page)

curse of the emerald cobra

*if you don't want to get the boxed set then my pick would be ...... into the wilds.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
dragonlordofpoondari
Gongfarmer

Post by dragonlordofpoondari »

Warduke wrote:best three? dear god...thats like picking my 3 favorite appendages.
You don't have to limit it to 3. I'm curious which modules you believe to be the very best in quality among the DCC line. I would accept top 5 or top 10 or top 7 for that matter. :)

EDIT: I just started a similar thread over at ENWorld. Feel free to pipe in over there as well!

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=191120
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

God, that is a tough one.

May as well have asked me to pick a limb and saw it off with a rusty hacksaw, a la "Road Warrior".

Honestly, here's a quick list of some of my favorites that I have run or been run through (quite literally) over the years:

Legends are Made, not Born (DCC #0): This was a fun little module that really had a nice and different approach to it. That 0-level character of mine is now a 14th level paladin and leading his own crusaders into battle against red dragons. He still has a first weapon: a scythe!

Legacy of the Savage Kings (DCC #17): I had the honor of playtesting this module and it really was an amazing experience. I've run it three times for my players now (with different PCs each time) and they can't get enough of it. One of the best parts of DCCs is the "scaling the adventure" tables so it makes each DCC run-worthy at any level.

Curse of the Emerald Cobra (DCC #16): The plot was one of the best I have seen in an adventure module and it really gave my PCs a run for their money. Most of Mr. Ferguson's stuff does!

So, there you have it, some of my favs. They are all really amazing pieces of gaming material though and each has its own merits. I love 'em all!

Hell, I buy 'em as soon as they hit shelf!

And that's why I'm on welfare!
Chris McCoy
Freelance Game Designer and Goblin Wrangler
Writing Portfolio
iattackthedarkness
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by iattackthedarkness »

I wondered the same thing when I first discovered the DCCs. I am sure you will come the conclusion that most of here have: you must collect them all. I can honestly say that there are no bad ones.

That said, I particularly like #3 The Mysterious Tower, #10 The Sunless Garden, and #38 Escape From The Forest Of Lanterns (very amusing and different).
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Chris McCoy wrote:And that's why I'm on welfare!
Hey, don't butt in line. I was next for the free cheese.

Thanks, Joseph Goodman, Harley Stroh, and Company!
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Fine, take the damned cheese!

The goblin pudding is MINE!
Chris McCoy
Freelance Game Designer and Goblin Wrangler
Writing Portfolio
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I would put Crypt of the Devil Lich, Vault of the Dragon Kings, Palace in the Wastes, and Iron Crypt of the Heretics all near the top.

I think I mentioned this before when responding to an ENWorld post on DCCs, but I use a lot of them for weekend 1 shots (outside of our regular campaign), so I favor any modules with a DCC tournament feel (puzzles, riddles, traps, strategic combat, and lots of fun).
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

From the ones I have DMed (or read) so far, I'd say:

DCC 2 - Vault of Tsathzar Rho (for it's cool deeper levels)

DCC 0 - Legends Are Made, Not Born (for it's different approach)

DCC 29 - The Adventure Begins (for it's sheer versatility and as a resource for some cool, cool ideas)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Drone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drone »

My favorites in no particular order:

The Dragonfiend Pact: Good villain and lots of interesting encounters.

Aerie of the Crow God: Just 'cos I like crows.

Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen: New monsters, riddles, tough encounters. Plus it's one of the few adventures set in a desert. Perfect for making the PCs dig for any answer to a tough problem.

Talons of the Horned King: Beat me to it, I wanted to do a sci-fi/fantasy adventure! An homage to one of the really great 1st Edition adventures Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Needs more aliens though.

Revenge of the Rat King: Just when you thought you were done with the Rat King.
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Luck is probability taken personally.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Really tough choices. If Jack Bauer were attaching electrodes to my chest and yelling, "TALK!" then I'd have to say:

Aerie of the Crow God - Not only a great adventure, but it provided such a wealth of subplots that its aftermath fueled my Ravenloft campaign for months.

Vault of the Dragon Kings - An incredibly challenging opening, and amazing death traps that can - in the best tradition - be solved by clever players.

Halls of the Minotaur (in DCC #35) - The 0-level concept is terrific, and I love the concluding battle.

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”