How many DCCs will there be?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

jester47

How many DCCs will there be?

Post by jester47 »

I was just wondering. Mainly because they all seem really cool. I was going to collect to just 13, and then get the rest in PDF, but the Sphinx and Cobra ones seem good enough that they might warrant getting the print version. Right now you guys are making them faster than I can use em. If its less than 20, I will get them all, if not, I think I will stop at some point.

Aaron.
Impressed

Post by Impressed »

I'm hoping for (and will buy) a continual stream.

Remember back in the day when you could pick through the TSR modules, take what you wanted and come back when you needed more? I'd love for their to be a catalog of 50+ DCCs of all levels, themes and settings.

Now that Hasbro doesn't publish modules on a regular basis, there is a REAL need for lots of modules. And since the DCCs print runs sell out so quickly, there is always a need for more.

Maybe? Pretty please?

Although, I have to wonder, with so MANY projects going on, how Team Goodman maanages to keep up on all of this. And somehow the quality just keeps getting better. *boggle*
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

You know, most of the people I talk to want MORE than one per month! A lot of groups play through an entire DCC in one week. I thought one per month was slow. :)

I want to keep producing them as long as they're fun and with interesting ideas behind them. For example, I'm getting tired of stirges, chokers, and darkmantles. They're overused and, in my opinion, too easy; a DM who's half-asleep can write an adventure with those staples. So I'm thinking of banning them from future DCC's. I'm also getting tired of mines; only two DCC's are really heavy on mines (#1 and #14), but they seem to crop up all over in dungeon crawls in general, and it's too easy to just throw the plot hook into a mine.

I've gotten a lot of great submissions recently with really neat premises behind them (including Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen and Curse of the Emerald Cobra), and those are my favorites. I can always go to a writer and say, "Hey, could you write a module about a dragon?" (or a minotaur or whatever) -- but those are never the best adventures. The best ones come with a strong atmosphere and a writer with a real vision for what he's trying to achieve.

As long as authors keep coming up with cool ideas, I'll keep producing DCC's. I have a list of about 20 cool ideas that I personally want to have done at some point (either by myself or someone else), and I also still get really cool submissions. Hopefully we will be able to achieve the goal of 50+ modules for you to choose from! What with the range of levels and themes out there, even 50+ modules shouldn't have too much duplication.

The next one in the series is #17: Legacy of the Savage Kings. It's another one with a great atmosphere and a strong vision behind it. More on that one in about a month. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Save Vs. Death Ray

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Wow! That's great news for us GMs. High quality modules, old school sensibilities, new school rules .... fantastic.

What are sales demographics like at Cons? Do you guys get kids coming up to the booth, or just us gray-beards?
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Well, Save Vs. Death Ray, I can tell you my experience from working the booth this past year at Gen Con -- there was a great mix of new and old alike.

I think a lot of people who played "old school" D&D and wanted to introduce 3rd edition to their own kids/nephews/younger friends wanted to find modules that had the same visceral feel of the modules they knew and loved growing up with D&D.

There are also young people completely new to D&D that have only ever known 3rd edition, but have heard about some of the classics -- but can't afford to own the old modules and the old books required to understand them and translate them into 3rd edition. So the DCC line caters to them.

Plus, the number of other products drew a lot of people to the booth. When they'd see Blackmoor or Dragonmech, or one of the Wanderer's Guild/Complete Guide books, it shows the commitment Goodman Games has to the genre and industry. I think some people were really impressed with the number of gaming materials, and if they really enjoyed something from another line, they knew the DCC line would be good, too.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”