Chronicle of the Fiend

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Chronicle of the Fiend

Post by fathead »

My FLGS had only ordered one copy of this, and it had sold out the same day (I guess that they are ordering only 1 copy of each new D&D book, with 4E coming up)...so I had them order another one. Yesterday, I received my copy.

Man...was it cool.

I enjoyed reading the playtest sections, and reading about how the tournament parties fared was just comical. I laughed. I cried. Sometimes I did both at the same time.

Anyway, I'm not sure who was involved in putting it together, but it has been my favorite printing of the tournament modules yet. I plan to pick up last year's XCrawl tournament as well, and I'm hoping that it was done in the same fashion.

My thanks to whoever deserves the credit.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

A lot of excellent minds contributed to the adventure, but it was Adrian who did the bulk of the heavy lifting. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

it was Adrian who did the bulk of the heavy lifting.
Harley, thanks for letting me write for Chronicle. I love my job.

fathead, if you're asking about the sidebars, I can't take credit for those.

When you get the Xcrawl module, you'll see something similar in the sidebars...I think they're called "Clever Plans, Clever Players" or something like that. Jay and/or Brendan thought to include tournament stories in the module, and Joseph liked the idea so much he asked me to do the same for Chronicle, plus playtest notes.

So while I put my own spin on it, ultimately Jay a/o Brendan deserves the credit for the sidebars (which were a lot of fun to write).
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Mouse
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

This is so not fair :?

I wanna see the extra's in the printed version (and all that other cool stuff)

Do I have to wait til Gen Con to get mine :cry:

Even though I didn't write it, I feel like I put a lot into running that adventure. Heck I even stayed around after the end to run the third round group til the bloody end.

Did any of my input or hard work, at least manage a foot note?

Oh well, for now I will have to content myself with the 5 or 6 playtest versions (and the one we ran) :oops:

Mouse
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

Adrian was an excellent hall monitor too! LOL! I'm hoping this year will be slightly more organized on the GenCon end. :lol:
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

There were a lot more stories behind the playtesting. Some of which cannot be discussed in polite company. :shock:

Hands down the best one was from the beginning of round 2 noted in the side bar. Room 1: party dead in 3 rounds. Ok, reset on to Room 2: Party dead in 3 rounds. Followed by 20 minutes of writing notes to Adrian. The end result from them was a sharpened razor of an encounter. I loved the original room 1, but the party would need to be 5 levels higher...

Hit me up at the con, once the scenario is published, im glad to discuss.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote: fathead, if you're asking about the sidebars, I can't take credit for those.
The tournament modules are always well done. This has been my favorite because it captured the whole tournament experience - all of the adventure, sidebars describing tournament games, playtest experiences, and photos. I've enjoyed reading some of the Adventure Design posts in the forums, and the sidebars had a similar feel.
Jengenritz wrote: When you get the Xcrawl module, you'll see something similar in the sidebars...I think they're called "Clever Plans, Clever Players" or something like that. Jay and/or Brendan thought to include tournament stories in the module, and Joseph liked the idea so much he asked me to do the same for Chronicle, plus playtest notes.

So while I put my own spin on it, ultimately Jay a/o Brendan deserves the credit for the sidebars (which were a lot of fun to write).
In that case, thanks to everyone for their efforts in that regard. I'm picking up last year's XCrawl module, so I'm looking forward to reading some of the sidebars in that as well.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:There were a lot more stories behind the playtesting. Some of which cannot be discussed in polite company. :shock:
:fathead looks around for the polite company that N'Haaz-aua was speaking of...

;)
N'Haaz-aua wrote: Hands down the best one was from the beginning of round 2 noted in the side bar. Room 1: party dead in 3 rounds. Ok, reset on to Room 2: Party dead in 3 rounds. Followed by 20 minutes of writing notes to Adrian. The end result from them was a sharpened razor of an encounter. I loved the original room 1, but the party would need to be 5 levels higher...
Ha. Yeah, there might have been some disappointed teams if everyone died in the 1st or 2nd encounter.
N'Haaz-aua wrote: Hit me up at the con, once the scenario is published, im glad to discuss.
Will do.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Stikk
Gongfarmer

Post by Stikk »

I just picked up Chronicle of the Fiend, unfortunately, didn't get in at GenCon. I don't know if it was the whole print run or not, but the spine of my copy say #49: Palace in the Wastes. Might want to check that for any future printings.

Stikk
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

my copy has he same misprint. might make it worth more as a collector's item. :)
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Mine says that also, I thought they sent the misprints out to the contributors to dispose of them.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Area 1-5b.

First, let me say a big THANK YOU for moving "No two alike on the same pedestal" up several questions. In the tournament, we knew that they had to weigh 27 lbs, and were able to figure out the respective weights by doing an appraise check against gear that we were carrying. But, we didn't get this answer from Sezrakin until around the 5th or 6th time.

With that being said, the module says that they need to weight 13 and 14. Couldn't they weigh 12 and 15 (red, blue, green on one and blue, black, yellow)?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Mouse wrote:This is so not fair :?

I wanna see the extra's in the printed version (and all that other cool stuff)

Do I have to wait til Gen Con to get mine :cry:

Even though I didn't write it, I feel like I put a lot into running that adventure. Heck I even stayed around after the end to run the third round group til the bloody end.

Did any of my input or hard work, at least manage a foot note?

Oh well, for now I will have to content myself with the 5 or 6 playtest versions (and the one we ran) :oops:

Mouse
And your brain dead, exhaused, slap-happy 3rd round group really appreciated it!

Mouse rules!!!
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Mine says that also, I thought they sent the misprints out to the contributors to dispose of them.
The first run has the misprinted cover. We've done a second run which has the corrected cover, but some of the first run made it into circulation.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”