DCC Retcon

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

DCC Retcon

Post by Warduke »

okay, nobody eviscerate me. :)

does anyone else import non-goodman adventures to dcc world? if so, where do you place them, and how do you bridge them with the dcc world?

for my part i picked up the 3.5 version of temple of the frog (zeitgeist, not wizards), and am about to run it in dcc world. (i'm told the first few levels of the dungeon portions were written by harley and mapped by jeremy, so it is sort of the non-goodman games dungeon crawl classic.)

it's pretty brutal so it might only be a one-shot, but the up side to that is that i can place it anywhere i want.

my first plan was to go with the great swamp, but i'm thinking i might go with some of the swamps to the north, maybe towards whiterock or the wastes of zamon .......
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I'm placing Red Hand of Doom in Aereth for my Jersey group. It's taking place in the Dragonspires, although it ties in to...oh, wait, some of the players read this board.

Never mind.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

...oh, wait, some of the players read this board.
Fooey! :wink: :twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

ooh oooh ooh. just heard that city of the gods is due out (finally!) in february. now where to add the vlley of the ancients to dcc world? *rubs hands excitedly*
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

One of my most favorite modules (that happens to not be a DCC) is S1 The Goblin Fair by Airweaver Games, who as far as I can tell only made this module.
You can really use it anywhere there is a forest by a road. Most of the action takes place on a demi-plane much like Forest of Lanterns (and written in much the same humor).
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

For a long time, the "core" of Ravenloft was placed in the DCC world in my campaign. The tech level was bumped up to "steampunk" as well.

(Technically, it was a cross between Ravenloft and Greyhawk....but that's a long story.)

Does that count, Warduke?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ogrepuppy wrote:For a long time, the "core" of Ravenloft was placed in the DCC world in my campaign. The tech level was bumped up to "steampunk" as well.

(Technically, it was a cross between Ravenloft and Greyhawk....but that's a long story.)
Steampunk/Ravenloft/Greyhawk? :shock: ... :twisted:

That's my kind of game. What caused the shift?

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Harley Stroh wrote: Steampunk/Ravenloft/Greyhawk? :shock: ... :twisted:

That's my kind of game.
//H
Hmmm...DragonMech/Ravenloft? Now that would kick some serious behind!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Steampunk/Ravenloft/Greyhawk? :shock: ... :twisted:

That's my kind of game. What caused the shift?

//H
Actually, the Tower of the Pearl did--your adventure! (The pearl from it, not the tower. ;) Since you didn't specify what the powers of the black pearl were, I made stuff up.)

We started in Greyhawk. The players "lost" (TPK) against the villains (who were trying to use the Black Pearl, along with other artifacts, to plane shift Greyhawk into Ravenloft [or vice-versa...it gets confusing]). The players lost the battle, the bad guys won. A ritual was performed and the physical nations of Greyhawk and Ravenloft meshed, merged....melded...into one new land.

When the TPK occured, I had the players generate new characters & advanced the timeline 300 years but didn't tell the players that they were still in GreyRavenHawkLoft. I used many of the RL core domain names (they started in Richemulot, which was what The Great City of Greyhawk "mutated" into). The players assumed that I was simply running a "Renaissance" era game with feux French names.

I also really liked the higher tech level of many of the Ravenloft domains, so I just started throwing in influences from history, The Difference Engine, the Thief "sneaker" PC game, and the Iron Kingdoms setting.

Blend heavily on "purée" and add in my own deep levels of psychosis, perversion and paranoia, viola! A whole new "low" in settings. ;)

It was really difficult to develop certain ideas, since I was flying by the seat of my pants. I ran Into the Wilds as one of the first adventures, but I had to modify the entire setting to reflect the steampunk attitudes.

For ex, the dwarven smithy in that adventure (I forget his name now) crafted a sonic engine that drove off the dire giant bats in the goblin caves/mountains at the players' commision.

They also discovered a strange new boat moored at the docks of the town---a boat with a chimney & large paddle wheel on both sides of the deck....this was the first-ever ironclad the world had ever seen....

Figuring out how to present information without giving piles of exposition, and without forcing the players to read a pile of boring history, became a little too much for me and the game fizzled eventually.

Too bad. The first set of characters (the TPK group) ran through Idylls/Rat King, dumped wholesale into Greyhawk. I was going to have the second group of players, 300 years later, stumble across Silverton and play it kinda like 'Salem's Lot.
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Jengenritz wrote:I'm placing Red Hand of Doom in Aereth for my Jersey group. It's taking place in the Dragonspires, although it ties in to...oh, wait, some of the players read this board.

Never mind.
Players should be banned from this forum. :P Go on kiddies, back to bed and let the grown ups talk :)

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: DCC Retcon

Post by frank5471uk »

Warduke wrote:okay, nobody eviscerate me. :)

does anyone else import non-goodman adventures to dcc world? if so, where do you place them, and how do you bridge them with the dcc world?
As I mentioned in the stickied DCC 35 thread, I have imported Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde into Aereth. I have set it in Crieste (see the map I posted in the same thread) and added to the timeline of the Northlands to ensure that the Battle of Slaughtergarde is remembered by the locals. It fits nicely as the old Priest Kings of Nimoria (old empire where Crieste is now) consorted with Demons and the whole "Demon Prince one invaded the material plane" plot fits in well with the written history.

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”