Crypt of the Devil Lich ...how long did it take you?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

How long did it take to get through DCC #13 (in hours)

1-3
No votes
4-6
No votes
7-8
No votes
9-10
No votes
11-12
No votes
13-15
50%
16-18
No votes
19-21
No votes
22-24
50%
We started when it was published and we're still playing (we're cautious).
No votes

Total votes: 2

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Crypt of the Devil Lich ...how long did it take you?

Post by GnomeBoy »

I may be running the Crypt in a few weeks at an all-day session.

[sidebar] The group I'm in (since 1992) usually has a Halloween game every year where we dust off characters we haven't played in a while (years) and reunite them for a new adventure. We usually start around 10 AM and have a big ol' barbeque in the late afternoon and finish around 9 or 10 PM. This year, due to various disruptions in our roster, it has been sidelined until this week, so it may happen a bit late, but its still happening! Yea for us! [/sidebar]

I wonder if it is doable in a 10 hour session? I'd love to run it, but would really hate to have to trim bits away, or rush the ending.

If you've played through it or have run it, how long did it take you to get to the end? Did you get to the end? How far did you get in the time you had?

If you only got part way before a TPK, that would be good info, too. Any brief details about what lead to the TPK would be helpful, as well.

Thanks, everybody.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hey Gnome!

We played it at GenCon. There were 3 rounds, each of them running 4 hours. I don't believe that we made it to the final encounter in any of the rounds. We tend to be pretty slow...but even still, I believe you'd need to trim off some of the rooms/encounters to make it fit into a 10 hour time slot. It probably wouldn't take too much effort to accomplish that. Just read through the encounters and choose the ones that most interest you. I would probably keep the 3rd round entact though (if I recall correctly, it held some key points to the plot).

By the way...your Halloween bash sounds like a good time.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

When I playtested it (which was several years ago so my memories are hazy), I remember it taking quite a while... like maybe 6 sessions, with each session being around 4-5 hours. But man, it was fun.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

I ran it last year as a side quest in my Shackled City campaign. It took 5 or 6 weeks of 4 hour sessions to complete from start to finish. So roughly 24 hours give or take.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

So...how did it go? Did you run Crypt or something else?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

fathead wrote:So...how did it go? Did you run Crypt or something else?
Thanks for asking. I realize now my original post is a bit vauge.... We only just started planning for the "Halloween" game this year, whereas usually we've already run it by now.... This year, it'll be a "Thanksgiving" game, with a Halloween feel.

I've gotten some excited responses by suggesting Crypt, but I'd hate to cram a 13-24 hour game into 9-10 hours, so Crypt will be run in our semi-bi-weekly sessions later this year or early next, I hope.

I'm going to run my DCC submission (in stasis 'til 4e) with as much of a Halloween twist as I can fit in. :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”