Kobolds with crude gold pendants...

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Kobolds with crude gold pendants...

Post by Mark_Gedak »

I've noticed that the kobolds in Halls of the Minotaur and a number of other DCC modules tend to where crude gold pendants.

Is this a tribal identification or a religious trinket (perhaps of Lagos, the scaly god)?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Actually it has more to due with the fact kobolds don't believe in banks, government based coinage, or charge cards! :lol:

[edit -- I don't have any idea, but I hadn't noticed it. That's a keen observation and I'm curious what the author's might say.]
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

The first appearance of the open, three-fingered hand is in Vault of Tsathzar Rho, and it appears on several creatures (either in pendant form or directly manifest on the bodies of spiders, centipedes, beetle carapaces, etc) throughout that adventure. The symbol is that of the Outer Gods, corrupt beings from beyond any (currently-)known plane of existence.

My guess is that the original idea was Mike Mearls' and that Harley ran with the idea beyond the Vault adventure.

As far as explaining why other kobolds--outside of the Vault--have the pendant with that symbol, I'm going to let Harley field that one.

As you did, I also noticed the symbol across a few modules and I enjoyed the "continuity" of the kobold tribes having them. I don't know if Harley intended something greater and more sinister or if it was just meant to "unite" the kobolds somehow.

Lagos, the Scaly God that kobolds typically worship, has a stony archway lined with sharp, retilian teeth as his holy symbol.
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Lagos, the Scaly God that kobolds typically worship, has a stony archway lined with sharp, retilian teeth as his holy symbol.
Yep, I knew that but thought maybe they used a different symbol. As different races often refer to the same gods by different names or symbols.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”