Creature help? DCC 35A - Halls/Minotaur

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Creature help? DCC 35A - Halls/Minotaur

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Hiya,

~~mild spoilers ahead~~

I'm going to run 35A as a one- or two-nighter just for fun.

However, I don't want the players to know that I'm using kobolds. I don't need the stats to change overmuch, but I'd like to "cosmetically" change their appearance. Y'know, just change their descriptions to something a bit more intimidating.

So, I'm turning to your fertile minds... :twisted: ...to get some help.

Kobolds, no matter how they're played, always sound like cutsie little lizard-dogs. How can I describe creatures that sound scary but have the same CR 1/4 stats?

Any kind of critter you can describe that would "fit" within this adventure (it's formerly a lair of the Order of the Beastmen, for example) is welcomed. Be creative, but understand that the critters exist mostly underground, set traps, and have a feral, cunning intelligence...well, more like a cruelty...

Any ideas? Thank you for your input.
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Creature help? DCC 35A - Halls/Minotaur

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Any kind of critter you can describe that would "fit" within this adventure (it's formerly a lair of the Order of the Beastmen, for example) is welcomed.
I love it when I give myself ideas.... :lol:

I could describe the kobolds as having the heads of common, small animals: cats, dogs, ravens, squirrels, and other beasts of the Thornswild Wood....kind of a cross between mongrel-men and Moreau's beasties, just with kobold stats.

Why did these creatures turn up this way? There is residual Order of the Beastmen "magic energy" or "corruptive influence" still floating around the lair...
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I could describe the kobolds as having the heads of common, small animals: cats, dogs, ravens, squirrels, and other beasts of the Thornswild Wood....kind of a cross between mongrel-men and Moreau's beasties, just with kobold stats.

Why did these creatures turn up this way? There is residual Order of the Beastmen "magic energy" or "corruptive influence" still floating around the lair...
That's a great idea. I love small tweaks like this, that leave the players guessing and yet fit into the rules so elegantly. They'll never guess that the squirrel-headed creatures are just kobolds!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

:: bows deeply ::

A compliment from The Big Cheese (tm) himself? Cool. 8)

Thank you.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

goodmangames wrote:They'll never guess that the squirrel-headed creatures are just kobolds!
...But scary, mutated, sinister squirrels. I can hear the Monty Python "killer rabbit" jokes coming from a mile away....
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:I could describe the kobolds as having the heads of common, small animals: cats, dogs, ravens, squirrels, and other beasts of the Thornswild Wood....kind of a cross between mongrel-men and Moreau's beasties, just with kobold stats.

That's a great idea. I love small tweaks like this, that leave the players guessing and yet fit into the rules so elegantly. They'll never guess that the squirrel-headed creatures are just kobolds!
Ditto what Joseph wrote.

Heh. Wish I would have thought of that. Mongrel-kin ... little raven-like kenku, actual small dogmen, snake-headed mini drakon ... sweet.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Yeah, I read further into the module and saw that you actually listed several animals that the Beastmen revered....I'll likely use those animals (Section 3-10).

My plan is to have the used-to-be-kobolds wear hooded cloaks when my players first encounter them--they won't be able to see the beasties' faces, just to add some mystery. Assuming they kill the beasties, they'll likely look under the hoods, knowing my players...and see the tiny heads of horses, eagles, even a spider-man. That'll freak 'em out.

Why are the kobolds now beasties? Well, I don't really have to explain it, but I'm a stickler for "narrative logic". I figure the kobolds inhaled the smoke from area 3-10 too many times, losing the beneficial aspects of the transformation but retaining the beastial characteristics. (Kinda like when your mom told you your face'd "stay like that forever" when you used to make goofy faces as a kid.) :P

Hey, all props go to Harley--he wrote the section about the Order of Beastmen. :wink: I just ran with the idea.

Is there any other info about the Order in another DCC that I haven't stumbled across yet, other than the Tower of the Black Pearl adventure?
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I ran that module once. Got myself six PC-Kill stickers to put on my DM screen for it. :twisted:
Roll for initiative!!!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

CharlieRock wrote:I ran that module once. Got myself six PC-Kill stickers to put on my DM screen for it. :twisted:
Heh. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Well thought out OgrePuppy.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”