Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

maxwellchris
Gongfarmer

Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar

Post by maxwellchris »

Hey, everybody

I'm planning on using the Dreaming Caverns as a basis for an e-mail game, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something.

In the setting we're playing in, all dwarves were forced out of their caves about 2,000 years ago. What I want the PCs to discover in the dreaming caverns is that not ALL dwarves made it out, and those that did have become evil and twisted, etc.

So, if anyone's run this one, do the Duergar show up later on in the module or right away? I'd kind of like them to be a surprise :)

Thanks!

-Max
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

maxwellchris wrote:So, if anyone's run this one, do the Duergar show up later on in the module or right away? I'd kind of like them to be a surprise :)
Duergar (and derro) show up right off the bat in this module - they aren't exactly hiding in the caverns. It should take a while for your group (ideally) to figure out exactly what they're up to, but they will definitely know that the duergar are there within the first two encounters of the adventure.

To more closely fit what you're looking for, you'd probably have to stretch out the introduction of the adventure, and add in a few encounters of your own where player characters find some ruins of the original dwarven civilization that once inhabited the caves ... and then move on into the actual module, where they encounter the duergar.

Hope this helps!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I agree with Mike Ferguson. You'll need to change the intro of the module.

This is not a problem.

If you don't have time to create a lead in of your own and have access to DCC #29 The Adventure Begins, I'd suggest the following:

Start out with "The Dripping Temple" on page 235. Have the tunnel leading from T-2 lead further into the underground. You could then introduce the Dreaming Caverns of the Duergar after the party has traveled along this abandoned tunnel. The tunnel, being unstable, could cave-in upon the party doing minimal damage but opening a cave that wasn't accessible prior to the collapse. That cave is room 1-1 of DCC #44.

That's my two cents worth.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Sweet idea. Your two cents are made of precious diamonds. Totally snaggable.

....Snagalicious!

....Extreme snag-iosity!
maxwellchris
Gongfarmer

Post by maxwellchris »

JediOre wrote: That's my two cents worth.
Great idea! Thanks so much for all the feedback, everybody. I may end up building a whole dungeon from scratch for the game that is much more silly in tone (but still deadly), however, I really want to use the dreaming caverns someday soon.

Thanks again!

-Max

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”