Average number of sessions per module?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Rath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Average number of sessions per module?

Post by Rath »

I know this will vary quite a bit depending on the group but let's assume that a group of gamers meets twice a week for gaming sessions that last about 3 - 5 hours each. We will also assume that the gaming group consists of one DM and four players who each control one PC.

Given that, how long do you think it would take to play through an average sized module... lets say about 32 pages in length. Examples include... The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho, Mysterious Tower, The Sunless Garden.

My guess would be anywhere from 2 - 3 sessions for each module but what do you guys think?

Also, would it be safe to assume an average increase of 2 levels per module given a party size of 4 PCs (assuming no PC deaths)?
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Yeah for the most part you're right, but there's so many variables that not sure you can set it to an average. Say you have a 32 page module if you have a party that wants to explore every inch of it and figure out every detail, it would take them 4 or 5 sessions where as a party that doesn't role play much and then just goes from encounter to encounter, they would probably finish in 2 - 3 sessions.

As far as levels go that all depends on the module. Most smaller ones are designed to level 2 - 3 levels, but there are some out there designed to raise you many more.
- Joseph Frenia
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

My group meets every Sunday 7pm - 11pm, and I find that the average DCC takes 3-4 sessions. Even "Heroes are Made, Not Born" took 3 sessions from start to finish. Thats about right IMO.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
timemrick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by timemrick »

My wife is running DCC 14 "Dungeon Interludes" (with side adventures to help characters advance in between) and she'll be running the final segment sometime next month. Each part of that adventure has taken 1-2 sessions, typically one for the earlier chapters and two for the later ones. It's her first tabletop campaign, her players enjoy roleplaying and puzzle-solving as much as monster-bashing, and her sessions are usually 5-6 hours each, so YMMV.
Tim Emrick, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
http://www.geocities.com/thastygliax/d20errata/
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

One of the ones that surprised me, was Crypt of the Devil Lich. Playing the 4 hour weekly sessions, it still took 6 sessions to complete. I found myself asking how this was playable as a tournament competition with a time frame that long?
Last edited by Eryx on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
Rath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rath »

Eryx wrote:One of the ones that surprised me, was Crypt of the Devil Lich. Playing the 4 hour wekly sessions, it still took 6 sessions to complete. I found myself asking how this was playable as a tournament competition with a time frame that long?
That surprises me too... especially when you consider the dungeon isn't that big.

It's also a good point that you bring up about how the module was used in tournament play. How could that be done even if the session lasted 12 hours or so? Maybe some house rules were used to speed up combat? I'd be curious to know.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”