FREE RPG DAY!

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

FREE RPG DAY!

Post by Warduke »

.....is less than 10 days away.

an adventure in the best selling line of adventures, given away for free?

um. yes, please. plus all the other potential cool give aways. seems like goodman games and the wilderlands folks are the only one stepping up to the plate hard. where, oh where will i put tell qa in my dcc world? :twisted:

southern province, it is!

i can hardly wait!!!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Heya Warduke!

Glad to hear you are eager to pick up Tell Qa!

As to the placement of Tell Qa in the Known Realms, I've not had a chance to consider it overly much, being busy with some other projects.

Southern Province might work well. After all, Tell Qa is a mostly Chaotic Good town in a mostly Lawful Evil empire, and that fits (though Southern Province seems to lean a bit more toward Neutral Evil).

Later this week I'll give some thought as to conversions of cultures, deities, and other various elements to make them fit the Known Realms.

Bear with me, as it's going to be a busy week... I have to get ready for my Free RPG Day Castles & Crusades demos (at Chimera Hobbies in Appleton, Wisconsin), work on my Known Realms C&C campaign, get a magazine done at the office, and get a lot of work done on "Special Secret Project XXXI."

Too much to do, too few days in the week!
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Will there be any way to get hold of these modules outside of going to a store on the list on the day in question? Like, say, paying for them?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Well, the principle behind Free RPG Day is to get people into game stores. I've already had several fans comment that after looking at the list of participating stores ( http://www.freerpgday.com/stores.htm ), they found local stores they didn't know about. That's what this event is all about. And that's why I (and many other publishers) are giving away thousands of modules! So if you have the choice, please patronize your local retailer on Free RPG Day.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

What if you are a poor Canadian, or a member from any other country, that is not participating in Free Rpg Day?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

There's good news for poor Brits -- one of our distribution partners is arranging a Free RPG Day in the UK about a month after the USA version. But for poor Canadians, I'm afraid we don't have a solution for this year. Next year we expect to have the event available everywhere. This year... well, can anyone from the boards help this poor Canadian by grabbing an extra copy on Free RPG Day?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
WereSteve
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WereSteve »

So if you have the choice, please patronize your local retailer on Free RPG Day.

Normally I would ... but ... considering the lack of participation by the major game stores in my area ... guess I won't be.

Of course considering Free Game Day happens to conflict with regularly scheduled Warhammer at one store ... didn't figure they would put out the Warhammer crowd. As for the other store ... at the rate they are going I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business by the end of the year.

Of the stores that are participating ... both are a tad on the small side and don't have much room for groups, etc.
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

If nothing else, I hope you consider at least including a copy of the free DCC in the Castle Whiterock boxed set, since otherwise some might feel they aren't getting a complete "Whiterock".

I realize the Free RPG is meant to be a good thing, but I do think it runs the risk of being divisive, since not many people actually have FLGSs, or ones that are participating. So rather than driving traffic to the non-existant (for them) FLGS, you are alienating loyal customers who use online stores or even something like a chain bookstore (which almost certainly would never participate in something like this).
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

goodmangames wrote:This year... well, can anyone from the boards help this poor Canadian by grabbing an extra copy on Free RPG Day?
our dark master commands, and the masses must answer! if i can get two copies i'll send one to gedak.

mark, i'll let you know after this saturday if i, or my group managed to get an extra copy. from everything the owner has told me about playing sinister secret at gama, it sounds like it should be a really, really fun adventure.

and if i don't manage to get a copy ................ we'll it is hard to complain about not getting something that is free, right? especially since the other option is "no free stuff."

given the choice, i prefer free stuff. :) :) :)

funny how by releasing a free dcc results in a dcc that can't be bought. damn you, goodman, for subverting the all mighty dollar! :wink:
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Since I am currently sans job (not my decision!), the free rpg day sounds like an awesome idea EXCEPT the only 'flgs' to me on this list is over 50 miles away and an hour and a half each way - which with no money and gas prices the way they are will make it tough to get down there! Hence my initial question :)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

bob, unless goodman threatens to sue me, maybe i can send you a photocopy?

hahahahahah ........... i make a lot of plans for someone who hasn't seen a copy of sinister secret yet. remind me to poke my FLGS owner in the eye for getting me hooked on these damn dccs
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

I got mine!! 8)
A good friend of mine owns a participating game store, and he hooked my up with my copy last night. So far, it's a sweet module!

And I want to add my voice to others saying this really must be made available in some format somehow by the time the Whiterock boxed set comes out. it would suck to have someone drop $100 on a huge boxed set, then feel they are missing out on part of the adventure!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

envy envy envy envy envy envy envy
timemrick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by timemrick »

One solution may be to borrow an idea from Green Ronin, who had to work around their printer being unable to provide their Free RPG Day offering on time: They are making the PDF of that adventure (as well as PDFs of a couple other introductory titles from other lines) available for free for 24 hours on their online store. After Free RPG Day, the adventure will be available there in both print and PDF for a measly $2.95.
Tim Emrick, Keeper of the Freeport Errata
http://www.geocities.com/thastygliax/d20errata/
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

guslandt wrote:I got mine!! 8)
A good friend of mine owns a participating game store, and he hooked my up with my copy last night. So far, it's a sweet module!
you have to hook us up with some details. please?
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ChristinaStiles »

timemrick wrote:One solution may be to borrow an idea from Green Ronin, who had to work around their printer being unable to provide their Free RPG Day offering on time: They are making the PDF of that adventure (as well as PDFs of a couple other introductory titles from other lines) available for free for 24 hours on their online store. After Free RPG Day, the adventure will be available there in both print and PDF for a measly $2.95.
That's an excellent idea!
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

ChristinaStiles wrote:
timemrick wrote:One solution may be to borrow an idea from Green Ronin, who had to work around their printer being unable to provide their Free RPG Day offering on time: They are making the PDF of that adventure (as well as PDFs of a couple other introductory titles from other lines) available for free for 24 hours on their online store. After Free RPG Day, the adventure will be available there in both print and PDF for a measly $2.95.
That's an excellent idea!
It certainly is!!! I'd be *more* than happy to throw down some cash to own a copy since I don't think there's any way I can get to a store giving them away.

Here's a thought - why not throw it in with the Whiterock boxed set? That way it's still 'free' but only the folks that want Whiterock in the first place would get it.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

it would add to the value of the box set, which would be cool.

wonder how much free stuff goodman has to give away before we let him off the hook. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ever wonder why he's the only one doing 3 free modules? probably because publishing adventures ain't cheap and goodman is the only one throwing down.

the ballad of free pie day:
(sung to some tune)
i baked a pie to give away,
anyone want it? take it today

the pie is for free
but it sure cost me

now the pie is gone
i'm sorry you despise
no i won't bake another
100,000,000 damn pies.

that pie was for free
but it sure cost me

that pie was for free
but it sure cost me
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

bobrunnicles wrote: It certainly is!!! I'd be *more* than happy to throw down some cash to own a copy since I don't think there's any way I can get to a store giving them away.

Here's a thought - why not throw it in with the Whiterock boxed set? That way it's still 'free' but only the folks that want Whiterock in the first place would get it.
I managed to get a few extra copies, as the RPG Free Day was NOT hopping at the store I sat at for four hours today to help giveaway games. We advertised locally, so I don't know what the deal was. Gamers in my area are an odd bunch. I'll have to find out how it went at the other nearby store.

The people who came up to the table looked interested at first, and then they said they used to game but didn't have time for it anymore. I kept telling them it was free and to take that as an opportunity to get back into the hobby, but no deal.
Christina Stiles
DCC #21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle, DCC #22 The Stormbringer Juggernaut, DCC #49: Palace in the Wastes; Dragonmech: The Last City, 2nd Age of Walkers, Steam Warriors
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Also, Noble Knight is participating in the Free RPG Day, and they are willing to send with online orders. Info here:

http://www.nobleknight.com/blog.asp#b51
Christina Stiles
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

bobrunnicles wrote:It certainly is!!! I'd be *more* than happy to throw down some cash to own a copy since I don't think there's any way I can get to a store giving them away.
Me too, and I'd be happy to give up some $$ to receive a copy.
bobrunnicles wrote:Here's a thought - why not throw it in with the Whiterock boxed set? That way it's still 'free' but only the folks that want Whiterock in the first place would get it.
Also a great idea, as I plan to get the boxed set.
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

ChristinaStiles wrote:I managed to get a few extra copies.....
So, Christina (may I call you Christina?) - have I mentioned yet today how wonderful your hair looks? It goes so well with that outfit too.

What?

:) :) :)

P.S. If I'd been in the same area as your store, I would have absolutely picked up a copy....and probably the WFF module too. People are strange.
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

So, Christina (may I call you Christina?) - have I mentioned yet today how wonderful your hair looks? It goes so well with that outfit too.

What?

Lol!

You think that's enough flattery? I didn't read anything about how wonderful I am, etc. :D

P.S. If I'd been in the same area as your store, I would have absolutely picked up a copy....and probably the WFF module too. People are strange.
I may have an extra one of those, too.

Now, you were saying...
Christina Stiles
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

ChristinaStiles wrote:
bobrunnicles wrote:So, Christina (may I call you Christina?) - have I mentioned yet today how wonderful your hair looks? It goes so well with that outfit too.

What?

Lol!

You think that's enough flattery? I didn't read anything about how wonderful I am, etc. :D
That's because I didn't have the space in one of these posts to even begin to encompass your sheer wonderfulness, awesomeness, and all round magnanimousness. Someone as warm hearted and good natured and gosh darn thoughtful as yourself deserves more than can be put into mere words.

How am I doing? I can't go too mad in case my wife reads this :)

I may have an extra one of those, too.

Now, you were saying...
Um, yes, let's see - where was I?

Ahem. I am astounded and in awe of your total, nay, legendary greatness, the magnitude of which threatens to overwhelm the harsh nature of the universe and bring peace and prosperity to the entire cosmos. I can only grovel in abject admiration at your perfect feet and prostrate myself before your unmeasurable goodness and pathetically beg for your world-renowned goodwill.

Please Miss - can I have a module? I promise I will love it and cherish it for always....oh, and play it too, I will I will I will.

Bob

:D :D :D
ChristinaStiles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I am astounded and in awe of your total, nay, legendary greatness, the magnitude of which threatens to overwhelm the harsh nature of the universe and bring peace and prosperity to the entire cosmos. I can only grovel in abject admiration at your perfect feet and prostrate myself before your unmeasurable goodness and pathetically beg for your world-renowned goodwill.
Finally! Someone who understands me. :lol:
Please Miss - can I have a module? I promise I will love it and cherish it for always....oh, and play it too, I will I will I will.

Bob

:D :D :D
Aww...now how can I refuse such a request?

For my one magnanimous gesture for today, I'll grant your request. Drop me a line at christina at misfit-studios dot com.

Christina
Christina Stiles

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”