What do I need to run Dungeon Classics?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Loggahead
Gongfarmer

What do I need to run Dungeon Classics?

Post by Loggahead »

Some friends and I that are married and have kids are getting together every once and a while for a guys night and we're looking for a good tabletop to play. Some alcohol will be involved so we don't need anything too in depth, we mainly just want to roll dice and slice through monsters, loot them rotten, and level up. We basically just want a good dungeon romp experience. Hence we found these premade dungeon romp experiences!

But, what do we need to run them? I don't feel like running conversions, we just want to roll the dice. Would the 3.5 Player's Handbook suffice? Or do we need more core books? Is 3rd edition ok?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hi Loggahead.

If you already have 3E books, that will be fine. If you're starting with nothing, I'd recommend purchase a Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide. That will be all you need to get you going. If you want to run the games as 3E (instead of 3.5), I'm sure you can get better prices on ebay for used books.

Hope that helps.

-fathead
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

players handbook and dungeon masters guide of either edition would work. the changes are negligible for the sort of games you'll be playing. my advice is to roll of the characters while sober, then drink as much as you like during the game.

.... ignore anything that says "attack of opportunity" and take a drink instead. :twisted:
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Loggahead
Gongfarmer

Post by Loggahead »

Thanks for the replies! I think Im going to go with Castles & Crusades for this type of adventuring to drop out some of the depth we don't need. I saw the sticky for conversions to C&C, is it really a pretty seamless conversion? I noticed the C&C is OGL.
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

C&C is a great choice. Much simpler than D20, and all you need is the C&C PHB, which you can get from Amazon for under $14, and typically from your LGS (if they carry it) for around $20.

For the most part, the conversion to C&C is pretty easy. Usually you just end up ignoring about half the stats presented. You might consider getting the C&C Monsters and Treasure book (also under $14 from Amazon) to do some comparison, but thats only if you're really compulsive about such things (like I am). It sounds like you're not, so you probably don't need to. :)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”