DCC Tournament

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

DCC Tournament

Post by fathead »

Any news yet that can be divulged?

Joseph confessed a weakness for crying emoticons, so here goes...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

We're currently playtesting round 2. The working title is "Death to Clan Yoeman."

;)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Harley Stroh wrote:We're currently playtesting round 2. The working title is "Death to Clan Yoeman."

;)

//H
Funny you should mention that...we plan to change our team name to "Monte Cook".

Feel free to change the working title accordingly.

:wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Well, don't take it personally. Round 3 is "Cook Monte."

;)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Harley Stroh wrote:Well, don't take it personally. Round 3 is "Cook Monte."
Ha. :) Well...at least we're in good company.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mmacgregor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Any more info on tourney?

Post by mmacgregor »

Can anyone give any more info about the tournament? I would love to know what level characters it is for.

matt
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Any more info on tourney?

Post by fathead »

mmacgregor wrote:Can anyone give any more info about the tournament? I would love to know what level characters it is for.

matt
Hi Matt! The tournament levels haven't actually been announced yet. I was hoping to pry some information out of them. :)

I would expect an announcement of the levels and title sometime this month. They usually have player packets (with characters and background info) available at the end of July/beginning of August.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
mmacgregor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Any new info?

Post by mmacgregor »

Anybody heard anythinf-the suspense is killing me? Just like the tourney will....
:twisted:

matt
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Any new info?

Post by fathead »

mmacgregor wrote:Anybody heard anythinf-the suspense is killing me? Just like the tourney will....
:twisted:
Careful! They'll name round 1 after you. ;)

:) I'm glad I'm not the only one dying from suspense though...

I've tried the crying emoticons (a few times now). So far, Joseph is unmoved. I'm beginning to suspect that he delights in tears (which might explain the high kill ratio for the tournament modules).

I'm all geeked out about the tourney. I'm excited to see what the Goodman crew has cooked up this year.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Things have been developing rather nicely, from what I've seen. The PCs are going to present some tough decisions for the players -- I think most folks will have a hard time keeping some of them off the roster.

Round 1 has some interesting twists that haven't appeared in a previous DCC tourney, and Round 2 will leave players cringing and crying for their mommas, that's for sure. It'll be interesting to see how teams fare -- you'll need luck, pluck and solid team play all around.

I just wish I were GMing a few slots - but I'll have my hands full running the Xcrawl tourney this year... :)
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
jfrenia
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jfrenia »

Does anyone know if we'll get to check out the PCs before Gen Con this year?
- Joseph Frenia
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

HA! Yeah, the pregens will be up before Gen Con...I'd expect to see them pretty quick.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

This will be my first Gencon, but I unfortunately registered too late to sign-up for events I'm interested (like the tournament). That's okay, I'll just walk around, see the sights, and maybe do some open gaming. But I was wondering if it's okay to watch a tournament game. Have there been spectators in the past, or would it be poor etiquette to sit around at the table?
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

...would it be poor etiquette to sit around at the table?
I'm sorry, but it's not great form for most of the tournament, no. It tends to unnerve players and/or Judges when people sit and spectate...and the Judge can't be sure that a fan wanting to see the game isn't actually someone from a team yet to go through the round.

The final round, however, is a different story. So long as they aren't a distraction, a spectator or two for the final round is alright (that's how I first met Superfan, back during the Devil-Lich finals).
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:Have there been spectators in the past, or would it be poor etiquette to sit around at the table?
There WAS a spectator one year...but we tackled him, gave him an atomic wedgie, and shoved a "Chalychia the Devil Lich" metal miniature up his left nostril (which isn't pleasant...it's a big miniature). ;)

Adrian mentioned spectating for the final round....that's a pretty good option. That round tends to be the most interesting anyway. That's how we met Superfan for the first time as well. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Thanks for the responses, Jengenritz and fathead!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

...I'd expect to see them pretty quick.
And by that I mean August 5th.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:
*groan*...that hurts my soul. I'll be in the Addirondacks that whole week in August. Boo hoo hoo (the sounds of Fathead crying). :cry:

How about the title and levels? Can that info be leaked yet?

Also...I know that this will probably be in the Player Packs, but I'd like to ask while I have the chance to post...any changes in the tournament structure? Last year, the "take 20" penalty was introduced (which definitely made things more challenging). Anything else worthy of mention?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

fathead wrote: Also...I know that this will probably be in the Player Packs, but I'd like to ask while I have the chance to post...any changes in the tournament structure? Last year, the "take 20" penalty was introduced (which definitely made things more challenging). Anything else worthy of mention?
Yes.

:D
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
eleran
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by eleran »

fathead wrote:
Jengenritz wrote:
*groan*...that hurts my soul. I'll be in the Addirondacks that whole week in August. Boo hoo hoo (the sounds of Fathead crying). :cry:

Also...I know that this will probably be in the Player Packs, but I'd like to ask while I have the chance to post...any changes in the tournament structure? Last year, the "take 20" penalty was introduced (which definitely made things more challenging). Anything else worthy of mention?
Fathead,

If your going to the Adirondacks you should stop on your way thru Syracuse area and visit myself and Joe Frenia from the boards. We both live about 25 miles south of Syracuse, NY. We would be glad to see someone from the boards
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I can't really go into specifics until the Player's Pack is out.

Suffice it to say that each iteration of the DCC Open Tournament is a little different from the last as we learn from experience, come up with new ideas, appoint a new project lead each year, and strive to make each tournament module distinct from those gone before.

This year is no exception.

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

ynnen wrote:
fathead wrote: Also...I know that this will probably be in the Player Packs, but I'd like to ask while I have the chance to post...any changes in the tournament structure? Last year, the "take 20" penalty was introduced (which definitely made things more challenging). Anything else worthy of mention?
Yes.

:D
*laugh* Thanks Jason. Very helpful. ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

eleran wrote:
fathead wrote:
Jengenritz wrote: And by that I mean August 5th.

Fathead,

If your going to the Adirondacks you should stop on your way thru Syracuse area and visit myself and Joe Frenia from the boards. We both live about 25 miles south of Syracuse, NY. We would be glad to see someone from the boards
Well, we're definitely driving through Syracuse. Our plan is to stop in Buffalo, NY for a couple days to visit some of my family, and then continue on to the Adirondacks (near Lake Placid) to camp for a week.

It's tempting...but I think that my wife might beat me stoutly for even suggesting it...especially when GenCon is the very next week and we'll be able to see everyone then. ;)

Thanks for the offer though!

Check out my thread in the General section about Wednesday night gaming at GenCon though. I'd like to meet some other forumites.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
eleran
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by eleran »

fathead wrote:
eleran wrote:
fathead wrote: *groan*...that hurts my soul. I'll be in the Addirondacks that whole week in August. Boo hoo hoo (the sounds of Fathead crying). :cry:

Fathead,

Well, we're definitely driving through Syracuse. Our plan is to stop in Buffalo, NY for a couple days to visit some of my family, and then continue on to the Adirondacks (near Lake Placid) to camp for a week.

It's tempting...but I think that my wife might beat me stoutly for even suggesting it...especially when GenCon is the very next week and we'll be able to see everyone then. ;)

Thanks for the offer though!

Check out my thread in the General section about Wednesday night gaming at GenCon though. I'd like to meet some other forumites.
I understand completely. If you can talk her into it, we could just do dinner and let you try one of the best damn steaks youll ever eat in your whole life. Otherwise I am sure we will see you at GenCon.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:I can't really go into specifics until the Player's Pack is out.

Suffice it to say that each iteration of the DCC Open Tournament is a little different from the last as we learn from experience, come up with new ideas, appoint a new project lead each year, and strive to make each tournament module distinct from those gone before.

This year is no exception.
Fair enough.

:Fathead starts looking on the internet to find wifi spots in the Adirondacks... :)

Looking forward to the tourney! See you at GenCon!
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”