Combining DCC #35 with other campaign worlds

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

w_earle_wheeler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Combining DCC #35 with other campaign worlds

Post by w_earle_wheeler »

Has anyone here combined the DCC campaign world (from the Gazetteer) with Greyhawk?

I would be very interested in seeing where Greyhawk "overlaps" with DCC. I know that in Legacy of the Savage Kings, the map provided looks like it would mesh very well with D&D's old White Plume Mountain.

Has anyone else made other unofficial connections?

I would also be interested in any fan-made connections with the Judge's Guild Wilderlands setting, Forgotten Realms, Lankhmar or the Conan setting.

Thanks!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

This may or may not help much, but prior to DCC 35 I placed Silverton (DCC #1) at the northeastern edge of the Gnarley Forest, on the west bank of the Selintan River where to connects to the Nyr Dyv.

I've also "shoehorned" the western portion of Ravenloft's The Core along the coast of Luithea/Kingdom of Uthuer, southwest of the Cairnswild and just left of the Dunerain Mountains. (The Shadow Rift in Ravenloft's Core would be where the Dunerain Mts are currently.)
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Sun May 13, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Somehow hit "quote" instead of edit. Please ignore.
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Sun May 13, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Not wearing my contact lenses, did the same thing: Somehow hit "quote" instead of edit. Please ignore. (ggrrrrr!) :evil:
DM_Dave
Far-Sighted Wanderer

1E modules

Post by DM_Dave »

Actually, I think it would be easier to move the old 1E modules to Aereth than to try to "shoehorn" whole Greyhawk nations and cultures to Aereth. There are enough similar stuff that I don't think it would be any issue at all to move the modules to Aereth.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: 1E modules

Post by Ogrepuppy »

DM_Dave wrote:it would be easier to move the old 1E modules to Aereth than to try to "shoehorn" whole Greyhawk nations and cultures to Aereth.
While that is assuredly true, I wanted to run Harley's Tower of the Black Pearl from DCC #29 in Greyhawk, and it spiralled out of control from there....
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

And here you go...

This is from an earlier thread about this same subject. Damned if I can find it now...
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

I went the extra mile and created my own campaign setting called "The Temple of True North." It's geared to treat each DCC sort of like a Stargate SG-1 mission where a temple built by a forgotten race at the North Pole is basically Stargate Command. The underlying premise is that much of the world was depopulated by some sort of cataclysm and the Temple of True North has been taken over by a contingent of Lammasu trying to get to the bottom of what caused the “Great Catastrophe.” So they send out adventuring parties to remote locations of the world to explore, establish new trade routes, and search for clues as to what brought a former high-magic civilization to its knees. The Temple employs Divine Oracles (from the Complete Divine supplement) to go on vision quests for roads and rivers that might lead them to formerly inhabited areas.

I treated the Wildsgate adventure like a recon mission to discover the ultimate fate of a former adventuring party of the True North Trading Co. which had never returned from its initial expedition into the Wilds (eaten by cannibals, as it turned out). I like the idea of a largely unexplored world with very few large cities struggling to re-establish themselves. The True North Trading company offers monetary rewards for completing successful missions, and sends along Divine Bards (Unearthed Arcana variation) to act as the party scribes (and to bring along free teleportation scrolls to help low level characters get back to the Temple after the adventure is over).

The master plan was to give players a “home base” without rooting it in any particular geographic location that would force them to spend a lot of “travel time” between adventures, plus give the PCs additional motivations for completing each adventure besides experience points and loot. Think of it as the “Forgotten Realms” of Aereth. But each DCC could very well take place in unexplored regions of Greyhawk, or Middle Earth, or Planet Irk for all I care. I’m much more concerned that the players have fun exploring an area they’ve never been to than pretending that they all should recognize familiar landmarks. But that’s just me.

My game uses Greyhawk deities and church organizations to help players create their characters, but since their primary purpose is exploration, it should come as no surprise when they stumble across Aereth deities, demigods and religious traditions they’ve never even heard of. So I suppose you could say that my game tries to have the best of both worlds.
8)
Last edited by None the Wiser on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
w_earle_wheeler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: 1E modules

DM_Dave wrote:Actually, I think it would be easier to move the old 1E modules to Aereth than to try to "shoehorn" whole Greyhawk nations and cultures to Aereth. There are enough similar stuff that I don't think it would be any issue at all to move the modules to Aereth.
That would work for me as well.
w_earle_wheeler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

James Mishler wrote:And here you go...

This is from an earlier thread about this same subject. Damned if I can find it now...
thanks james

is there a link to a larger version of that image? i can't read any of the text on it.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

James Mishler wrote:This is from an earlier thread about this same subject. Damned if I can find it now...
Here's James' incredible work from before:

http://www.goodmangames.com/forums/view ... ight=#9031
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... ight=#8487

The really cool part is that it birthed a cartography love fest that involved multiple cartographers adding all the major old school settings. I think they ended up in this thread on the Necro boards:

http://p208.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... 21&stop=40

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

None the Wiser wrote:I went the extra mile and created my own campaign setting called "The Temple of True North."
Although I personally am not a StarGate fan, that's a pretty dang cool idea. Very post-apocalyptic.
yell0w_lantern
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by yell0w_lantern »

Could somebody please send me a larger version of that incredible map? :shock:
just add my name onto @yahoo.com
Captain Kohones
Gongfarmer

Post by Captain Kohones »

yell0w_lantern wrote:Could somebody please send me a larger version of that incredible map? :shock:
just add my name onto @yahoo.com
Me too Me too!!!! :D
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Guys, I would be happy to send it, but i don't have a zipping program (unless one is built into MS Vista) and it is like 20 to 30 Megs in size.

I'm sure James will send it as soon as he see's your requests.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
w_earle_wheeler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Treebore wrote:Guys, I would be happy to send it, but i don't have a zipping program (unless one is built into MS Vista) and it is like 20 to 30 Megs in size.

I'm sure James will send it as soon as he see's your requests.
I think a gmail account might be able to handle a file that size.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”