Into the Wilds: Campaign journals

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Into the Wilds: Campaign journals

Post by Nap »

I just started a new leg in my ongoing campaign, and it involves the adventure "Into the Wilds", which looks like a great module. After reading some of the other posts on this board, I decided to share the journal entries of one of my players.

The party is made up of mostly 3rd and 4th level characters, so I'm scaling the adventure up just a tad. Also, because it's part of an ongoing campaign with a larger plot-line, I've made a few other adjustments to the adventure - so I hope I don't confuse the readers with details that aren't consistent with the published material.

Finally, I'd like to congratulate Harley Stroh for putting together a great module. I like the open-ended nature of the adventure, and the fact that it is not difficult to include in my homebrew campaign world. There are a lot of possibilities with this module, and I'm anxious to see how it all plays out.

Note: I won't publish any DM-specific spoiler material in the offhand chance that one of my players comes across this site. I will mention, however, that one of the reasons for the PC's visiting Wildsgate is to follow up on a tip regarding the location of an outlaw of sorts, a former Captain of the Guard that is accused of murdering his squad.
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

Party

Pholandros - 3rd level cleric of Shivaldar (God of Protection)

Garron Portico - 4th level wizard of Suthgeard

Buck Silverkin - 4th level ranger seeking membership with Warrenwood Rangers

Wulfgar - 3rd level Barbarian/Rogue of the Silver Peaks

Ongdok Arnen - 3rd level Chelni fighter from the plains

Greymalkin - 2nd level rogue that just met the party
Jezza
Wild-Eyed Zealot

That reminds me...

Post by Jezza »

I really must get round to finishing my recap of Into the Wilds. We played it to the end weeks ago.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Um, yes...especially as I think I'll be running this very, very soon and would like to hear any 'clunky' or weird parts.
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Journal #1

Post by Nap »

The following is the first journal entry for this adventure - written by the party cleric, Pholandros. Please note that there may be several changes to names, events, etc. in order to fit with my ongoing campaign. Any major name changes or events may be followed by red lettering, indicating the original name/event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty-second letter from Pholandros, cleric of Shivaldar, to his sister Nelandra, written Marcus 12 from the Black Dragon Inn in Wildsgate

My dearest Nelya:

In the remote event that you harbored any fears for my safety (and I do not doubt the depths of your affection but I know that you are wise enough to realize that your older brother’s powers of self-preservation are considerable), this letter should put you at ease. As I told you in some haste earlier, through certain auspices Shivaldar made it clear that I was to head north into Gwythe to the frontier town of Wildsgate, purportedly to assist a certain Morency (Father Motter), the new high priest for this district (motivation for getting the party to Wildsgate). Naturally, given the strength of the divine summoning that I felt to my very marrow, I suspected an altogether different purpose was in store for me, but in any case I felt disinclined to brook Milady Wyndara’s orders, which at this time I am pleased to still follow whilst of course reserving the right to do as I must should her needs in the future run counter to mine.

Fortunately for me, Shivaldar had seen fit to arrange matters such that Buck as well had developed a sudden and mysterious need to journey to this hitherto-unknown bastion in the wilderness. Lacking aught better to do, Garron elected to accompany us, as did the deranged Ongdok and the suicidal Wulfgar and his catamite, a certain Greymalkin whose garb and demeanor made obvious his predilections as a scoundrel and lawless rogue.

We took some small care in procuring an appropriate store of provisions to be carried in our wagon, and thus prepared headed northwards. The first couple of days of travel were without event. At one point, we encountered a traveling merchant in wooden goods who was making his southing, and from him I learned of what lay ahead of us. He warned me that some distance down the trail we might come across a band of ogres, and that the region about Wildsgate itself was sore afflicted by creatures unknown that were preying upon the local farmers by night.

Forearmed with this knowledge, we were ready for all challenges that should come our way. It was not too much longer that we came across an intersecting trail that we had been told might lead to the ogre lair. Buck led the way, and my companions and I followed, leaving a somewhat nervous Knobby Foot (the party lackey and teamster) behind with the wagon and mounts.

Because of his mystical bond with his eagle companion, Buck has senses amplified many-fold beyond those of ordinary men, so we chose to send him ahead some small distance to use his woodscraft to discern where the foe might be. Sensing an opportunity for mischief, Greymalkin proclaimed himself a scout of equal worth and also scampered on ahead.

Now, for reasons that are unclear to me, those of us left behind deemed it best to allow our forward element to advance the van by more than one hundred yards, which left us in a rather poor position to offer support should combat ensue, which naturally it did within mere seconds when Greymalkin blundered directly into a crude alarm of some kind. Upon this development, an ogre did indeed appear, and proceeded to render grievous bodily harm upon the foolish knave, whilst Buck wisely backpedaled and began to pepper the monstrous attacker with fletched death. The rest of us began a charge that we were relatively certain would bring us into the combat within some few minutes. (Note: the ogre encounter is one such example of how I've boosted the EL for the party)

Eventually we arrived, and as it turns out, we were forced to fight three of these great lumbering brutes. Garron showered them with a rain of magical missiles, Buck excitedly switched from one weapon to another and then back again without actually entering the brawl, Ongdok hooted and gibbered and ran about, throwing sticks and leaves, and Wulfgar swung his deadly axe with a potency seldom seen. For my part, I hurtled through not-inconsiderable peril to staunch the flow of Greymalkin’s life’s-blood to save him from an untimely demise (although I may be overreaching myself in that assessment, as for all I know any demise that should catch up with him might in fact be timely indeed). While we did suffer terrible wounds, Wulfgar killed two of the ogres with Garron’s assistance, and in fact could have officially been credited with a third slaying had not Ongdok tripped and accidentally skewered the last ogre completely by mischance.

After I completely mended our harms, including those to Greymalkin, through Shivaldar’s bountiful grace, it goes without saying that we thoroughly investigated the dwelling of the late ogres and were pleased to find some small amount of riches. We then struck camp nearby for the night, early enough that I had an opportunity to scour the surrounding fields for herbs and unusual plant life, and I did obtain some seedlings that might prove of moderate interest.

That evening, I regaled my companions around the fire with several rousing hymns to my divine patron and also told them an amusing tale of Heoban and his search for the Bloodbloom Elixir. Sadly, these efforts only inspired Ongdok to launch into a rambling Chelni tall tale in which he clearly identified with the hero, which was most alarming because that worthy’s deeds seemed for the most part to involve senseless slaughter, the enslavement of innocents, and assorted unwholesome sexual practices with livestock.

The next day we came across a farmer and his son heading our way in a heavily-laden cart, and we had not even so much as greeted him when he was attacked from above by airborne goblins riding atop immense bats. As you might imagine, this spectacle took us completely by surprise, but we rallied quickly. Buck unlimbered his bow and opened fire, Garron unleashed his growing arsenal of spells, Wulfgar charged forward as usual, hoping to find one of the goblins alighting, and Ongdok did what Ongdok does, which meant he yodeled out sundry Chelni profanities and giggled maniacally whilst waving his weapon about futilely. We were able to ground one of the flying tandems, and found them thereafter to be easy pickings, and upon seeing how quickly we were able to dispatch their fellow marauders, the remaining goblins wisely fled, with Buck’s eagle trailing them to see where their hideout might be.

With the peasants saved, we made our way at last to Wildsgate, a town clearly at a low ebb, since only a couple of hundred inhabitants now rattle about its spacious environs. I made certain deliveries to Father Morency and obtained from him some valuable information on the state of affairs here. However, I failed to keep close enough tabs on the others, and so it was only a matter of minutes before Wulfgar had thoroughly antagonized the local guards. Worse, that night Greymalkin decided that his wisest course of action would be to break into one of the town’s warehouses and plunder it, which, as you know, is not an action that I necessarily frown upon when the circumstances seem right, which these most certainly were not.

Tragically for the overweening rogue, his reach most definitely exceeded his grasp, and he ended up tumbling into the meltwater-swollen River Saedre and carried away downstream. Ma’al, (My campaign's God of Death) looking out for his own, Greymalkin did not die that night but was forced to seek refuge outside the city walls with Relthor, the farmer we had earlier saved, and was afflicted with a case of pneumonia, which has rendered him at this time of no use to us until he can recover, which he should do in comparatively short order, thanks to my tonics.

Opportunities to win renown and quick coin abound here in this region overrun by monsters and brigands, but of equal note is a certain development within the town itself. It seems that young Kaldal is the local baron, but he is not long for this world despite the efforts of his half-sister Aborn, the White Lady, to minister to his ailments. Thus far none have been able to heal the mysterious disease that is laying waste to his body, and there are those who say that it is in fact a curse that is draining him of his life. The parallels to our situation are too obvious to comment upon. It may be that Shivaldar has willed this and seeks to test me in some cruel fashion, but if that be so, it is a test that I will fail immediately, because I have no intention whatsoever to even attempt to be of service to this lordling.

If, thus far, I have not had skill nor resources enough to cure those closest to me, then certainly I will not torture myself by attempting to save complete strangers in the exact same circumstances as we find ourselves. This is selfish, but every man has his limits, and not even Shivaldar can compel me to participate in such a travesty and mockery of my own deepest and most heartfelt woes. Rest assured, though, that ours will be a happier ending that what portends here for Keldel and Aborn.

I remain your loving brother,

Pholandros
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

this is so brilliant that i'm ashamed to even think of posting on the thread, but i'd also hate to let nap think that journal isn't incredible.

what an amazing post. nap, is it correct to assume that this was written by one of your players? if so, you are a lucky, lucky dm. this sort of thing brings so much life to a game. i'm stunned to imagine what an an entire campaign journal could look like .......... it would read like a gene wolfe novel.

(for my info, does greymalkin = greymouser?)

many, many props. i can't wait to read more. please post!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

Thanks for the response, Warduke. First of all, I cannot take credit for the journal - as it is written by our party cleric. He doesn't always write journals for every session - we often rotate, therefore the next entry may be by someone else. Most are written by Pholandros, Buck, or sometimes Garron.

We also get original artwork for each session from the player who runs Buck. I'll ask him if he minds if I post some of his work with each session.

Greymalkin made his first appearance with our group during this session, and may not always be present. The player named him after MacBeth's cat, I believe (he's an English teacher).

I give out experience points for original journals and artwork. Right now, I give out 25xp/level for good writeups and/or art. Buck has advanced pretty quickly due in large part to his weekly journals AND artwork.

The dilemma I'm currently working out is that my party INSTANTLY assumed that the White Lady Aborn was guilty, probably because she seemed so good - and they have a lot of experience in being misled. I thought about changing her behavior, but decided to stick with the original story. I'll just have her try harder to "win the guys over" with her charms. Also, her relationship with Captain Argun is not quite what it is in the module, but I don't want to give anymore away at this point.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Nap wrote:The dilemma I'm currently working out is that my party INSTANTLY assumed that the White Lady Aborn was guilty, probably because she seemed so good - and they have a lot of experience in being misled. I thought about changing her behavior, but decided to stick with the original story. I'll just have her try harder to "win the guys over" with her charms. Also, her relationship with Captain Argun is not quite what it is in the module, but I don't want to give anymore away at this point.
This happened in my group, too, but it wasn't too much of a problem. Sure they figured it out from the start, but she's untouchable --- until the PCs started closing in on the relics. Then she began a campaign against them(using intermediaries, of course), acusing them of all sorts of horrific deeds. Pretty soon there were wanted posters hanging all around town and the PCs ended up hiding in the Wilds.

Despite all the "off plot" plotting, the ending worked out pretty much the same. The PCs were absolved of the accusations, the prince got healed, and Aborn swore to "get them another day."

Please post artwork and more journals. Warduke is right that the post rocks.

Reading (and now, re-reading) Nap's post drives home just how much these games are about the players and the GM. You get the sense that Nap's games would rule, regardless of whether they were going through a DCC or not. (No disprespect intended.)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Journal #1

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Nap wrote:Morency
Wasn't he lead singer for the Smiths, before launching a solo career?
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Nap wrote:Morency
Wasn't he lead singer for the Smiths, before launching a solo career?
Haha, that was Morrissey.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Nap wrote:Haha, that was Morrissey.
Just testin' ya. (I've been a Smiths fan for a long while.)
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Session #2 - Into the Wilds

Post by Nap »

Okay, it's been two weeks since our last game, but the writeup from one of my players finally arrived. This entry is by Garron Portico, the wizard of the group. In this segment, the party explored the Foehammer Spires for the first time and explores some goblin caves....

Also, absent from this session was Greymalkin, the rogue that fled the law by jumping into the River Saedre. He caught pneumonia, and needs plenty of bedrest. The party meets up with another cleric who will temporarily travel with them to the spires...

Party

Pholandros - 3rd level cleric of Shivaldar (God of Protection)

Garron Portico - 4th level wizard of Suthgeard

Buck Silverkin - 4th level ranger seeking membership with Warrenwood Rangers

Wulfgar Grimmeson- 3rd level Barbarian/Rogue of the Silver Peaks

Ongdok Arnen - 3rd level Chelni fighter from the plains

Thilo - 2nd level cleric/rogue that just met the party

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text of the Journal of Garron Portico
Marchindus 12:

Entry 21: To the Goblin Caves

Despite our interests to hunt bandits, apparently the bandits weren’t where we thought they were so we decided to head out towards the goblin lair. In actuality, the goblins, some cannibals, and the rumored undead all lay in the same direction, so we had our pick of those, and we chose goblins. Oh, we picked up another follower. His name is Thilo, and at least he had some clerical healing to provide, so we allowed him to join us for a brief time.

On our way out to the goblins, we met a hunter named Samuel, he was out enjoying his day, catching Rabbits. He warned us to avoid the goblins, and told us of the shrine to the great thief (Zamuk the Swift) living in town. It sounded like an elaborate extortion scheme by the local thieves guild to get the local populous to “donate” so that the spirit of the thief doesn’t bring them “misfortune”

Regardless, the terrain got rough and I had to send Knobby Foot (porter henchman) back to town with the wagon. We proceeded on foot under the canopy of the tree line, paralleling the river. We approached the cliffs that were the goblin caves, and saw several distant figures of goblins flying around on bats. Buck sent his eagle to investigate, and confirmed that they were goblins.

Thilo decides to get closer to the cave and two goblin patrollers rush out to attack him. We kill the goblins, and the bats fly off. Inside the goblin cave, we see a set of stairs leading up. On the stairs is a small pit with spikes at the bottom which was easily jumpable. Easily unless you are me, who hesitated severely before mustering the courage to jump it, or Pholandros who ignored the danger, jumped over the pit, and landed on the spikes at the bottom. The pit turned out to be a diversion however, because at the top, which Wulfgar was heading towards at a rapid pace, an Ogre was waiting.

With flaming eyes, the Ogre charged Wulfgar, but he was not daunted, and he cut the mighty beast in twain with his axe. This was just what was needed, because this was not actually an ogre, but an elaborate trap set up by the goblins, to force people of weaker wills back into the pit. Wulfgar bravely moved on to the top of the stairs, with the rest of us in tow.

At the top of the stairs, were 6 goblins and a goblin shaman. We dispatched the little ones rather quickly, although the shaman gave us a few fits until we backed him into a corner. In the room we found some treasure, plus a cage with a lizard. Wulfgar fed it some goblin bits and clamed it down, Buck then impressed it with his animal empathy and it began to follow us around. It was at this point the group decided to split up. The small passage that the goblin shaman had been hiding around led to a well, and I became convinced that there was something down there.

Buck and Pholandroes proceeded cautiously up another set of stairs, while the rest of us tied off a rope and had Wulfgar lower himself down. Within the cistern, Wulfgar noticed a ledge with a coffin on it which looked interesting. We decided to investigate it further, and I cast my spell of levitation on Wulfgar. While still attached to the rope, Wulfgar stealthily climbed across the ceiling like some great insect. He got to the ledge with the coffin and lowered himself down.

Suddenly there was some confusion, a yelp of surprise and a “FOR ALL THAT’S HOLY, HAUL ME UP!” A shadowy figure had latched on to Wulfgar and was leaching the strength and vitality out of his body. We got Wulfgar up and prepared to do battle with the creature, but it did not pursue. I pondered my recent religious training and identified the creature as an undead being known as a shadow. I told what I knew about them, including that they were very hard to hit because of their semi-substantial nature. I remarked that they don’t usually have coffins though, but that is one mystery that will remain unsolved.

We then rejoined the rest of the party in a room full of boxes and crates. At the top of this room there was a trap door, which we noticed, We tried to get through and noticed that it was locked, and that while we were checking, some goblins would dump burning coals and embers on whoever was up there. Ongdok held up his shield while Thilo picked the lock. We then scrambled up into a room full of goblins, which swung mightily upon us as we made our ascent. We proceeded to dispatch these goblins and went out a passage leading outside to a ledge with a rope bridge leading up to another set of goblins. I then decided to pull out my journal and chronicle what had happened so far. I’m always a quick writer just before battle...
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

I should point out something that I don't think is mentioned in either of the journals thus far. The wizard, Garron, has discovered that his "Silence" spell is particularly nasty against the dire bats.

By casting the "Silence" spell centered on the dire bats, they can no longer use their sonar to guide them, and they effectively become blind. At that point I have the bats make a will save or crash to the ground, rider in tow. If they succeed with their will save, they are disciplined enough to allow the goblin rider to guide them back to safety (out of combat, of course).
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Nap,

Sorry I haven't had the chance to post more, but your game sounds great.

From the other reports coming in I'm worried that your PCs might walk all over the bad guys. Nothing wrong with success through good planning, but I hope the villains prove a challenge.

That said, it was fun to read the retreat --- your players have good instincts. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Nap wrote:By casting the "Silence" spell centered on the dire bats, they can no longer use their sonar to guide them, and they effectively become blind. At that point I have the bats make a will save or crash to the ground, rider in tow. If they succeed with their will save, they are disciplined enough to allow the goblin rider to guide them back to safety (out of combat, of course).
Great tactic, good mechanic. Nice GMing on the fly.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Nap wrote:By casting the "Silence" spell centered on the dire bats, they can no longer use their sonar to guide them, and they effectively become blind. At that point I have the bats make a will save or crash to the ground, rider in tow. If they succeed with their will save, they are disciplined enough to allow the goblin rider to guide them back to safety (out of combat, of course).
Great tactic, good mechanic. Nice GMing on the fly.

//H
You took the words right out of my mouth (er, keyboard)... Great strategy, and kudos to quick-thinking GMery to adjudicate that in a logical and interesting manner.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Nap
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nap »

Harley Stroh wrote:Nap,

Sorry I haven't had the chance to post more, but your game sounds great.

From the other reports coming in I'm worried that your PCs might walk all over the bad guys. Nothing wrong with success through good planning, but I hope the villains prove a challenge.

That said, it was fun to read the retreat --- your players have good instincts. :)

//H
Thanks for the comment. I was concerned about the party being too powerful, so I've tried scaling the adventure a bit. So far, they haven't had any real trouble, though, so I may bump it up a bit more.

We just completed the third session Sunday night, but my players haven't submitted their journal as of yet. While it was still relatively easy for the party to hack through the goblins, one of them did fall off the small bridge into the chasm below. He survived, but only because the SRD says falling damage is 1d6 per 10 feet (I thought it was exponential damage). It was Wulfgar the barbarian, and he took 18 points of damage - got up and walked away.

I'll look more into other damage options for long falls.

The goblin caves will probably continue to be easy for them, but across the river I have substantially boosted the EL of the bandits. One of the reasons for the party exploring this area is to capture "Oleg the Corrupt", and he is a 7th level fighter, with substantially more cohorts than those in the original module.

I'll also have two elite bodyguards defending Azubel, so that the party doesn't force him to gaseous form in one round, or kill him outright.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Nap wrote:While it was still relatively easy for the party to hack through the goblins, one of them did fall off the small bridge into the chasm below. He survived, but only because the SRD says falling damage is 1d6 per 10 feet (I thought it was exponential damage). It was Wulfgar the barbarian, and he took 18 points of damage - got up and walked away.
A tree must have broken his fall. No matter --- pitching off a bridge is an inglorious way for a hero to die anyway!

//H

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”