Is it fair to sick Azubal on them? *SPOILERS*

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

The Incredible Kid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Fire trap

Post by The Incredible Kid »

None the Wiser,

If the room was on fire, and Kos was pushed back in there, how did the players get the key?

IK
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

RE: TIK:

The Wizard cast Ray of Frost & the other players used blankets to help douse the fire. They even dragged Kos out of the fire so he wouldn't die (and so they could interogate him later). If I recall correctly, the PCs have about 5 rounds to douse the fire before everything in the room is destroyed. I decided all the wax seals had melted, half items on the bookcases were useless, but that the maps on the table were still intact, as was the iron coffer with the key.

I also had six players with at least three rounds to subdue the fire after Kos went unconcious. Fewer players with no Wizard might have fared worse.
The Incredible Kid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Thanks for the recap

Post by The Incredible Kid »

None the Wiser,

Appreciate the recap. I'm still debating about whether or not to make the Drow and the Half-Orc 2nd level or not. I created templates for both of them and with the Drow's additional spells, they now have a much better chance of getting away from the players. I feel like the players recovering some incriminating documents and the key are central to the plot. I don't want to keep them from doing this, but I also don't want to make it too easy. Even if the party does defeat these villains, there is still the threat of additional baddies arriving, and the skeletons and more past one of the secret doors. If I make the lieutenants too buff, I'm afraid the players will be in no shape to leave in one piece. They still have to make it through the Wilds too. I'm curious to see how this all goes down tonight.

IK
simontmn
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Is it fair to sick Azubal on them? *SPOILERS*

Post by simontmn »

IMC if the PCs had camped overnight in the Spires, Azubal would most certainly have attacked them. IMO any group dumb enough to camp out overnight in an 'organised dungeon' - or even right outside it, which I've also seen - deserve everything they get. It's pure metagaming, the IRL equivalent would be the home invader who decides to go to sleep in the bed of the house he's burgling. Truly idiotic.

In actuality, the PCs had seen the nearly-drained bodies - and rescued them - and worked out there must be a vampire, so they attacked on a nice sunny morning. The battle was somewhat anticlimactic - the Cleric failed his turn attempt, Azubal gave him a good whack, but then the Knight (C&C conversion) got lucky on her first blow, hit and did 12 hp damage with her +1 sword, and 'gassed' him. Since it was daylight he had no access to his hidden coffin in the Shadow cave, the PCs made spot/track etc rolls and saw the gas go down beneath the flagstones - it's not a 'false coffin' btw, he can still use it - they opened it up, staked him, and took the body outside to disintegrate in the daylight.

Edit: Vampires in daylight die - it doesn't matter whether they're in gaseous form or not. If you make Azubal a super-vampire who can move around in daylight in gaseous form, obviously he's not cooped up in his chamber.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”