Dungeon Crawl Classics #3.5???

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Dungeon Crawl Classics #3.5???

Post by mshensley »

Let me get this straight. You made a module that was written by Dave Arneson and had a cover by Erol Otis AND I CAN'T BUY IT?!?!? :cry:

Are you guys allergic to money or what? This should have sold great to old grognards like myself.
Black Knight
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics #3.5???

Post by Black Knight »

mshensley wrote:This should have sold great to old grognards like myself.
"Grognards" lol, what a funny word! :lol:

Jeffrey Quinn
Freelance Writer/Game Designer
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

From http://www.gamerjargon.com/gamer3_gh.html
grognard, n.
a gamer, especially a wargamer, who has considerable experience with a particular game or genre of games, has seen that game
or genre of games go through many iterations, and who may often complain about new versions of, or newbies to, that game; sometimes also referred to as Old Guard; French, nickname for a member of the French Old Guard during the Napoleonic era, referring to said members’ frequent imbibing of grog, an alcoholic beverage consisting of watered down rum, and synonymous with their tendency to grumble about all things new.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

mshensley wrote:Let me get this straight. You made a module that was written by Dave Arneson and had a cover by Erol Otis AND I CAN'T BUY IT?!?!? :cry:

Are you guys allergic to money or what? This should have sold great to old grognards like myself.
Well... uh... sorry? :( It was supposed to be a convention special -- Gen Con only -- since Dave Arneson was going to be there to sign it. The good news is that Erol Otus has agreed to do several covers for the Dungeon Crawl Classics line. We'll be posting a full announcement, along with a couple of the covers, in about a month. From here forward, every DCC will be released into stores, even those with his covers. :)

If you happen to live in California, Erol Otus will be doing signings at our booth for Gen Con SoCal...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

No problem. This will just give me something new to hunt for over on ebay. :lol:
Hok

DCC #3.5 vs. DCC #3

Post by Hok »

I emailed Goodman Games and asked them about DCC #3 vs. #3.5 :

> Hi.
>
> I purchased DCC #3.5 (with the uber-cool signature from Dave
> Arneson). I've noticed that DCC #3 is going to have the same cover
> art, and the intro sounds similar to #3.5. Will "The Mysterious Tower"
> use the same maps and plot as "The Haunted Lighthouse" ?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian Brokaw

Here is the response I received:

> Hi Brian,
>
> No, they're totally separate adventures. The only similarity is the cover
> art. The low sales of a con-special can't pay for all-new cover art, so we
> instead used the DCC #3 art (which was just finished right before Gen Con).
> Since the adventure concept was wide open at the time, Dave decided to
> tailor it to the art -- hence the ghost troll and lighthouse idea. The
> adventures are completely different.
>
> Just to give you an idea of #3, I've attached one of the map diagrams.
> Players have to get into a tower surrounded by a force field, which requires
> going down in order to then go back up.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -- Joseph

I'm posting it here for the benefit of posterity :D
Ar Nimruzir

Dungeon Crawl Classics 3.5

Post by Ar Nimruzir »

It was supposed to be a convention special -- Gen Con only

Hmmmmm.
Any chance of this being reprinted as a 2nd edition (different cover color, Boldly imprinted 2nd Edition etc) or whatever other denotation necessary that still gives the GenCon release it's collector's value?

Maybe on RPGNow as a pdf or even a pull out (somewhat like the old Judges Guild Campaign installments) in an EW Player's Guide?

Seems a real shame for this to pass into relative obscurity simply due to lack of printings and no creative solutions to preserve collectability.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics 3.5

Post by goodmangames »

Ar Nimruzir wrote:Any chance of this being reprinted as a 2nd edition (different cover color, Boldly imprinted 2nd Edition etc) or whatever other denotation necessary that still gives the GenCon release it's collector's value?
I've gotten this request so many times that I'll definitely consider it. We won't reprint it in any format similar to the original release. But if we ever do any sort of compilation, I'll consider including it. Given current stock levels, DCC #1 will probably sell out within a few months, so there may be other candidates for a compilation, too.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”