Maps of the Known Realms

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Maps of the Known Realms

Post by James Mishler »

Here's a map of the Northlands, at least, the great bulk of it, from Punjar to Ternyziem, and from the Empyrean Ocean to Tiam'Tze.

The image has been shrunk by Photobucket, so if you want a larger version, send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy. This is posted with Joe's permission.

Last edited by James Mishler on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Here's a map comparing the Northlands to North America, at the same scale. Messy, but it gets the point across about the size of the Northlands.

James Mishler
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Finallky, here is a comparison between the Northlands of the Known Realms and Europe.

James Mishler
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Holy sweet zombie jezus. That's huge.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Simply awesome man! Thanks!
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Here are the borders of the Known Realms, or at least, as I envision them. Note that in most cases this is simply the widest extent of the territory claimed. The gray areas are wilderlands, where the only rule of law is that at the end of a swordpoint, and the local "king" might rule over a village of rustics with little more than a party of allied adventurers.

James Mishler
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

And here's another installment in the maps series, the Known Realms alignments... classic style.

James Mishler
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

James Mishler wrote:And here's another installment in the maps series, the Known Realms alignments... classic style.
Classic style is right! Man, that brings back memories.
Well done James.
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

You are just making me very anxious to see what you come up with for your Wilderlands product line.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Forgive my ignorance, but alignments do the various icons stand for? I'm fairly certain the balance is True Neutral, but I'm drawing a blank on a few other.
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Lawful Good: Balance
Neutral Good: Torch
Chaotic Good: Crescent

Lawful Neutral: Shield
True Neutral: Cross
Chaotic Neutral: Thunderbolt

Lawful Evil: Serpent
Neutral Evil: Skull
Chaotic Evil: Sword and Axe
James Mishler
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

James Mishler wrote:Lawful Good: Balance
Well, I guess I had that one wrong :) . Thanks!
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

This map looks terrible thanks to Photobucket. E-mail me if you want a better looking copy.

Known Realms resources and major settlements, including all official settlements of Large Town size and greater, plus resources in addition to officially-listed ones as I needed for my campaign...

Resources in black are common, resources in red are precious. These are resources that are available locally, most for export in greater or lesser numbers.

Also I should note that the Warlands and Leherti are both much-reduced in their resource output, due to the century-long civil war and the invasion of the Scourge, respectively.

James Mishler
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

James ... these are awesome.

I've been away for Thanksgiving, but I'll get to your questions hopefully tomorrow (Sun)...

And if you're a drinking man, I'm taking you out next GenCon.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:
James Mishler wrote:Lawful Good: Balance
Well, I guess I had that one wrong :) . Thanks!
Funny thing is: I always felt that the "balance scales" were much more appropiate for LAWFUL NEUTRAL, while the "shield" much better suited LAWFUL GOOD.
But maybe that's just me... ;)

Really, really great maps, btw. Excellent work, James. I am sure to use them in my ongoing Áereth campaign! :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

The Known Kingdoms game box is arrived in europe.
What are the scale on different map (player map and DM maps) ?
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Hi Raskal,

since the player's map shows just a part from one of the other three maps, the scale is the same throughout ALL of the maps.
The three "other" maps are meant to be put together to form one huge map of the Known Realms; the southernmost map contains the scale bar, showing 1000 Miles (7 inch).

That corresponds to
1 inch = 143 Miles, approx.
OR
1 cm = 90 km, approx. for us european gamers! :wink:

Have a merry christmas everyone! :D
Done so far:
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

What is this "metric" system you seem to speak in? It is arcane and somehow unpleasant. Our Criestine System is so much nicer!

The pied is the most basic measurement, the length of a tall man's foot [about 1/3 of your so-called "meters"). For smaller measurements, there is the pouce, of which there are 12 per pied.

There are six pieds to one toise. There are three toises per perche. There are 10 perches to one arpent. The arpent grande is equal to nine arpents. And for truly great distances, there is the lieue, which consists of nine arpents grande or 81 arpents.

Those are Imperial, of course. Various regions and separatist "states" claim to use other forms of measure, obviously inferior to that of the Empire of Crieste!

The scale, being in the so-called "Engleesh" system, shows approximately 48 lieues, 48 arpents, and six perches per "Engleesh" "inch."

"Meters." "Kilometers." Bah!

Know Napoleon, Know Metric. No Napoleon, No Metric! :P
James Mishler
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

James, you old "frenchie"... thanks for making my life easier! :P

And a very merry christmas to you... :)
Done so far:
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

please, please, please, please upload James Mishler's (sp?) to Prester's Emporium ..... .thank you!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

This is sort of thread necromancy, but is there anyway to get a black and white map of the Southlands and the Lostlands, much like the Northlands map in the first post of the thread? I realize the chances may be slim, since James released the map as kind of a teaser of the boxed set, but it never hurts to ask!
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:This is sort of thread necromancy, but is there anyway to get a black and white map of the Southlands and the Lostlands, much like the Northlands map in the first post of the thread? I realize the chances may be slim, since James released the map as kind of a teaser of the boxed set, but it never hurts to ask!
I have myself not as yet put together a map of either the Southlands or the Lostlands... I've been too busy on other projects.

However, I will begin running a new Castles & Crusades campaign set in the Known Realms shortly, so I might be able to make time to work on another KR map... If I do, it will be the Lost Lands, as I'm more likely to take the campaign in that direction, from its home base in the Warlands (the 3E campaign I was running in Punjar is on hold still, as that is a two PC campaign, and I have at least four players ready for this new campaign).
James Mishler
bento
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bento »

As someone who has used the maps in this thread AND is currently running a campaign based in the Lostlands, I second (or is it third?) this idea.

Having resources like blank maps at a DMs disposal makes the entire Known Realms setting much more friendly to pick up and use.

I feel much better handing over one of these to my players for their reference (with mark-ups) than man-handling one of the beautiful maps that came with the box set!
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

James Mishler wrote:However, I will begin running a new Castles & Crusades campaign set in the Known Realms shortly, so I might be able to make time to work on another KR map... If I do, it will be the Lost Lands, as I'm more likely to take the campaign in that direction, from its home base in the Warlands (the 3E campaign I was running in Punjar is on hold still, as that is a two PC campaign, and I have at least four players ready for this new campaign).
Well, if you get a chance to make a Lostlands map similar to the Northlands map in the original post, that would be cool.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”