DCC35 -- Freeport weirdness

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

can ya feel the love?! cause i sure can. :) :)
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Warduke wrote:frank,

i hereby award you with the title of dcc freeport scholar. that article is AWESOME. now i just need to get me some more freeport material.

are you dropping any of the dcc adventures into freeport? revenge of the rat king seems like it would make a good fit, but there might be others .....
Heh, if I'm the official Freeport Scholar for DCC do you think I could blag a few freebies from Green Ronin to go with the scant amount of material I have collated to date ? :)

Actually, Paizo have a sale on Freeport stuff at the moment and I have just ordered "Crisis in Freeport" (a collection of the first three adventures updated to 3.5ed) and an old 3.0 adventure called "Hell in Freeport" for $2 each.

My plan is to run the first three GR adventures and then segue into DCC #20. I expect that I will need a couple more adventures in between, but none of the dozen or so other DCCs that I own at present seem to fit well in Freeport. Possibly DCC#27 Revenge of the Rat King might just do it but I also have plans for Soulgrave in the future (I obviously have a soft spot for independent city-states), so want to save DCC #27 for that.

I would love to see another DCC set in Freeport at some time.

As the dude from the Gamers 2 trailer says, "EVERYTHING is better with pirates" !!

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Can we hug & make out....err, up?
I'll stick with the making up if that's OK with you :shock: :D

BTW, hopefully everyone realises that I wasn't having a pop at Harley, more sharing an attempt at trying to fill in a tiny gap in Aereth. I'll probably do a few more in future but between my SGoS campaign and the planned Freeport campaign, I think I am getting ahead of myself a bit :)

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

frank5471uk wrote:BTW, hopefully everyone realises that I wasn't having a pop at Harley, more sharing an attempt at trying to fill in a tiny gap in Aereth.
I'm a big kid. And I *did* screw up Freeport. But honestly, I'm more embarrassed about, say, stat blocks errors in Into the Wilds and Adventure Begins than I am about the Freeport flub. There's still a part of me that feels like this whole Goodman Games gig is a fluke and that I'll wake up tomorrow and think, "Wow. What a crazy dream that was." :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

frank5471uk wrote:I would love to see another DCC set in Freeport at some time.
Heh. I want to write it, just to amend my sins. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Voadam
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re:

Post by Voadam »

frank5471uk wrote:
Has anyone got any of the later Freeport stuff from GR. Does it expand on the world around Freeport (and hence probably introduce conflicts with my piece above) or does it pretty much stick with the city ?

I hear that the new Freeport material will wind the clock forward 5 years. Should be interesting.

Frank
The Pirate's Guide to Freeport provides a small optional sketched out world outside of Freeport but it is a little wierd. The world is literally centered on Freeport on the Avol Islands which lie atop the body of Yig where it crashed to earth after his fight with Hastur destroying and submerging Valosa. The world was made by Yig and he pulled in other lands around it leading to some Norse in the north, Hamunaptra D&Dized Egypt in the south, and GR's Najara or whatever the heavily psionic lands of the vaguely pseudo India is called is off to the east or west (I forget). The Northern Continent is detailed with a big necromancer past empire thing going on.

The northern continent conflicts a little, but it is worth ditching the GR version IMO. The neat part is that there is a northern continental war that Freeport was going to get into but then did not.

The Pirate's Guide is set after the events of the Freeport Trilogy, Black Sails, and the Succession Crisis. Freeport is ruled by a new sea lord and the Captain's Council.

I just got DCC35 pdf today and I was surprised and dissapointed at the Freeport part. I am running a Freeport trilogy game and bought the Freeport DCC thinking it would complement well. I was interested in seeing how Aereth incorporated freeport, what the northern continent war would be, how Yig and Hastur and their conflict would be fit into the world timeline, and why Freeport was put on a peninsula instead of an island when the original Freeport details were all completely OGC that could be used and incorporated into various worlds.

A missed opportunity, too bad.

I really like the rise and fall succession of nonhuman empires for Aereth though and I'm still glad I got DCC35.
Voadam
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re:

Post by Voadam »

JediOre wrote:Perhaps the GG Freeport and the GR Freeport are a link between two parallel worlds?
Because of the OGC nature of the original Freeport stuff it has been incorporated into a few different OGL campaign settings. Gothos the world of The Hunt: Rise of Evil Campaign Setting by Mind's Eye Games has Freeport in it and Arcanis by Paradigm press does as well.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”